Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS400 search

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 11:51 AM
gmcbean
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 search

Hi,
I am looking for a 1998-2000 LS400. Like other buyers I want a car in excellent condition, low mileage, with service records etc..
I live on the east coast of Canada. There are very few of these cars where I live. Recently I had 3 bad experiences while shopping. I spent a day driving to the province of Nova Scoria and another full day driving to the province of Prince Edward Island to look at cars that were described to be in excellent condition. At best, they were in fair condition. Recently I almost flew to Connecticut to buy a car that indeed, on paper, appeared to be what I am looking for. Before making that journey I convinced the private seller to take it to the nearest Lexus dealership where I arranged an inspection. Glad I did that. The car had less than 70,000 miles and the only issue, according to the seller, was the radio display was fading. The dealership sent me a copy of the inspection report as well as videos. the rust damage under the car and to components made the dealership label the car as not road worthy. Wow, that was almost a waste of time and money. People lie!
So now I’m searching farther afield. I can travel to buy a car or I can have a car shipped but that sounds really risky.
I found, what looks to be a great car, at Hedsalescompany.com in Houston, Texas but the reviews are bad for that used car dealer. Similarly I found a nice car at Empire Motors Auto Sales in Philadelphia. He won’t allow me to arrange an inspection at the local Lexus dealership as he thinks they will find faults that they will get to repair. Plus he doesn’t want to waste an employee’s time doing that. He did say he would be ok with a mechanic going to his sales lot to inspect the car. I don’t know how to find an independent mechanic to do that.
So.......
Does anyone have advice for long distance car buying? Do you have suggestions for how to find independent mechanics? Any other options you could suggest?

Thanks for your time and help,

Greg
Old 10-02-18, 01:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not worth the trouble for such an old car.
Old 10-02-18, 01:34 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

^this. You will pay alot over the value to have it inspected, fixed and shipped to you. Better off flying to Texas and spending a few days driving around to various places until you find one you like. Then, at the end of the search, drive it home.
Old 10-02-18, 02:27 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I get so irritated when people claim their cars are in "excellent condition" only to go look at them and see they are in nowhere near excellent condition. Private sellers are mostly guilty of this, but dealers can be just as bad. Anyways, I have seen this LS400 sitting on Craigslist for quite a while. They are grossly overpriced IMO, but the LS400 is getting harder and harder to find with low miles and in exceptional condition. Might be worth checking this one out somehow if it's what you are really wanting.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...691025466.html

Old 10-02-18, 03:24 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

this one looks pretty good....https://macon.craigslist.org/cto/d/2...695990834.html
Old 10-02-18, 10:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Careful. The bottom edge of the driver's seat is never shown. The most vulnerable area for wear and likely in pretty bad shape if they are hiding it.
Old 10-03-18, 03:22 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcbean
Hi,
I am looking for a 1998-2000 LS400. Like other buyers I want a car in excellent condition, low mileage, with service records etc..
I live on the east coast of Canada. There are very few of these cars where I live. Recently I had 3 bad experiences while shopping. I spent a day driving to the province of Nova Scoria and another full day driving to the province of Prince Edward Island to look at cars that were described to be in excellent condition. At best, they were in fair condition. Recently I almost flew to Connecticut to buy a car that indeed, on paper, appeared to be what I am looking for. Before making that journey I convinced the private seller to take it to the nearest Lexus dealership where I arranged an inspection. Glad I did that. The car had less than 70,000 miles and the only issue, according to the seller, was the radio display was fading. The dealership sent me a copy of the inspection report as well as videos. the rust damage under the car and to components made the dealership label the car as not road worthy. Wow, that was almost a waste of time and money. People lie!
So now I’m searching farther afield. I can travel to buy a car or I can have a car shipped but that sounds really risky.
I found, what looks to be a great car, at Hedsalescompany.com in Houston, Texas but the reviews are bad for that used car dealer. Similarly I found a nice car at Empire Motors Auto Sales in Philadelphia. He won’t allow me to arrange an inspection at the local Lexus dealership as he thinks they will find faults that they will get to repair. Plus he doesn’t want to waste an employee’s time doing that. He did say he would be ok with a mechanic going to his sales lot to inspect the car. I don’t know how to find an independent mechanic to do that.
So.......
Does anyone have advice for long distance car buying? Do you have suggestions for how to find independent mechanics? Any other options you could suggest?

Thanks for your time and help,

Greg
I hope you find what you're looking for - even though we are 20 years after its release, the 1998-2000 LS remains the most classic LS ever designed IMO. I owned a 1996 and still miss certain aspects of that car to this day. Be patient and you'll find the right one.
Old 10-03-18, 05:55 AM
gmcbean
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Los Angeles car is exactly what I’m looking for but their asking price is way out of line.
The car in Macon is also interesting. Thank you for the tip regarding a lack of picture showing the wear area on the driver’s seat. I will ask for one or two.
Thanks everybody,
greg
Old 10-08-18, 11:07 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I bought mine from LA and I would buy anything from Cali when it comes to cars.