Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

has anybody successfully gone from parking far away and curbed to parking anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 06:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default has anybody successfully gone from parking far away and curbed to parking anywhere?

If you used to park your car far away, but now park anywhere, and feel comfortable in doing so, how did you accomplish the change?

Background: I park as far away from an entrance as possible, and make every attempt to curb my vehicles on one side. This is to avoid dents, of course. I have sat in my car and witnessed people opening their door into mine, and the responses, when confronted, were very different. One told me to go **** myself (short woman), one said oh did I sorry and walked away, a guy told me prove it, and one simply ignored me and went about her business. To reduce the chances, I park far away. I have experienced too, the ticked off Vic deal where someone is right next to me anyway when I come back, and I do laugh at that.

Maybe this sounds crazy, but I treat loaners and rentals the same. Park far away.

In my own history, I did not start parking this way until I bought a BMW brand new in 12/06. Prior, with the brand new Maxima, I tried to park carefully and said if I get a dent, I get a dent. I only had 3 in nearly 1 1/2 yrs. But once I moved to Phila., there were countless ones in a matter of another 6 mos., I mean 20-30. The worst was when a PECO cherry picker opened into me. I didn't see it, but a neighbor in the apt. complex did.

I don't think it's necessarily OCD, but rather wondering how the majority of folks don't let parking bother them.
Old 10-03-18, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
One told me to go **** myself (short woman),
A good comeback would have been that you would rather do that than sleep with her LOL.
Old 10-03-18, 06:50 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,793 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Easy. I got a door ding, now I don't care if I get another one.

In all seriousness, I just have a gut feeling about who I should and shouldn't park near. If it's an older car, particularly dirty or rusty, I stay away. That very type of car is what I suspect door-dinged me. Also, if it's a really windy day, I also stay away. I door-dinger myself once at a gas station (in my previous car). It was really windy, and the wind blew my door open and into the pillar near the pump. Scratched the crap out of my door handle... But I've convinced myself that it's simply impractical to park out of the way every time, especially for a daily driver.
Old 10-03-18, 07:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A good comeback would have been that you would rather do that than sleep with her LOL.
I was really taken aback by her attitude. She had rosary beads on her rearview, and was saying stuff like oh so you're a saint and you don't do that to other people, please, go back to your country and get an education. And this was all in broken English. I told a colleague at work about the incident and holy **** the stuff that came out of his mouth was amazing. So quick and would have cut her down. You don't take the north Phila. out of a person was what I was thinking. This was at the USPS, but I can imagine this very same thing happening at a Walmart etc.

I once was given a brand new 428i loaner, and I got to my dr's appt. and saw a big dent on the rear right....I thought oh **** we never did a walkaround and I was in too much of a hurry to insist. Mentioned it to the dealer and the gal said oh Mr Fontaine I know about that dent. Checked the paperwork and there was a big X at that spot. New car as in < 1000 miles....seems other people don't care I guess...last time I did do a walkaround on an X3, had those low jeans in the back with Converse All Stars and a missing rear wiper. Car had < 300 miles, and the mgr. was livid. No dents though!
Old 10-03-18, 08:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I have experienced too, the ticked off Vic deal where someone is right next to me anyway ...
what's a ticked off vic deal?

last time I did do a walkaround on an X3, had those low jeans in the back with Converse All Stars and a missing rear wiper. Car had < 300 miles, and the mgr. was livid. No dents though!
the jeans and sneakers in the back, does that have anything to do with damage?

as to your question, like you, i try to park on an 'end' parking spot as close to the end side as possible to give max space to the next car over. i don't care if it's close or far from where i'm going though. sometimes i might park further away to get some more walking in.
Old 10-03-18, 09:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I park carefully, I try to park on an end close to the curb to give extra room, I don't go crazy though, and there are times when I will park in a wide middle spot if thats all thats available. Its just automatic for me at this point. I park loaners the same way because its just automatic.
Old 10-03-18, 09:28 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you used to park your car far away, but now park anywhere, and feel comfortable in doing so, how did you accomplish the change?

Background: I park as far away from an entrance as possible, and make every attempt to curb my vehicles on one side. This is to avoid dents, of course. I have sat in my car and witnessed people opening their door into mine, and the responses, when confronted, were very different. One told me to go **** myself (short woman), one said oh did I sorry and walked away, a guy told me prove it, and one simply ignored me and went about her business. To reduce the chances, I park far away. I have experienced too, the ticked off Vic deal where someone is right next to me anyway when I come back, and I do laugh at that.

Maybe this sounds crazy, but I treat loaners and rentals the same. Park far away.

In my own history, I did not start parking this way until I bought a BMW brand new in 12/06. Prior, with the brand new Maxima, I tried to park carefully and said if I get a dent, I get a dent. I only had 3 in nearly 1 1/2 yrs. But once I moved to Phila., there were countless ones in a matter of another 6 mos., I mean 20-30. The worst was when a PECO cherry picker opened into me. I didn't see it, but a neighbor in the apt. complex did.

I don't think it's necessarily OCD, but rather wondering how the majority of folks don't let parking bother them.
Putting distance between your car and theirs just creates more space for the door to accelerate. People don't care about other peoples' property (incl cars) but you need to park next to them.

Door dings always come with time and so do scratches. You'll learn eventually not to care too much. Remember you own the car not the other way around. Get a 2nd gen GS and live carefree
Old 10-03-18, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My cars stay ding free for the length of my ownership. If they do get dings, I just get them fixed.

Putting space between cars may "give more room for the door to accelerate" but it also makes it less likely for the person opening the door to need to contact your door in order to get into their car. It also makes it less likely for people beside you to scrape or hit your car when backing in or out of spaces.
Old 10-03-18, 09:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

When I go to Target, Wal Mart, Grocery Stores, or Lowes I try to park far away from cart returns or away from random carts in the parking lot, other places I mainly just park where I can find a spot, when I go to the gym I always try to park next to a curb at the back when I can so I at least only have to deal with one side getting dinged. You will drive yourself nuts trying to predict the best place to park your car every time not to get dinged and worry about it the whole time, chances are you are going to get several little dings, nicks, and chips while owning your car, just deal with it, try to avoid if you can but don't be that super **** retentive guy and be miserable about it when it happens.
Old 10-03-18, 09:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In my experience, if you park carefully but not crazily, its not that hard to keep your car ding free. Of course...now I've jinxed myself.
Old 10-03-18, 09:52 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

My Lexus was dinged in a Best Buy parking lot by a soccer mom tending to her toddler. She just jumped out of her SUV and swung the rear door open smashing into my vehicle. On another occasion my vehicle was scratched by a elderly neighbor in the parking area of my condo. I knew it was her because of the paint transfer and the proximity of her vehicle to mine.

Despite trying to prevent these incidents they seem to follow me no matter which car I drive. I have a dashcam with parking mode to help monitor my vehicles but there is only so much you can do.
Old 10-03-18, 11:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,793 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My cars stay ding free for the length of my ownership. If they do get dings, I just get them fixed.
Typical door dings I guess so. Mine was so bad that the shop would have had to repaint the door and blend. They tried PDR, but were afraid to go all the way due to concerns of potentially cracking the paint. Yeah my door got smacked pretty hard.

Thankfully it's a small enough dent no one seems to notice; I sometimes forget it's there myself.
Old 10-03-18, 01:09 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Putting space between cars may "give more room for the door to accelerate" but it also makes it less likely for the person opening the door to need to contact your door in order to get into their car. It also makes it less likely for people beside you to scrape or hit your car when backing in or out of spaces.
That's one way to mentally deal with it, most dings can be fixed via PDR. I had 3 on the BMW and one was in the "no" zone. It was literally in the lower front corner of the front door (this was not by another car, likely a rock). I thought it was done, get the car back and it was gone. If on a crease I think PDR cannot help. With the Maxima, could not help at all, guy told me this metal is not good like a BMW or Mercedes, where it has a memory and a piece of cake to fix. Poor Maxima...

Oh btw my LS430 does have 3 dings, extremely tiny. Mentally they came with the car, so I am not bothered. I seem to be most bothered if it happens under my care....
Old 10-03-18, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's one way to mentally deal with it, most dings can be fixed via PDR. I had 3 on the BMW and one was in the "no" zone. It was literally in the lower front corner of the front door (this was not by another car, likely a rock). I thought it was done, get the car back and it was gone. If on a crease I think PDR cannot help. With the Maxima, could not help at all, guy told me this metal is not good like a BMW or Mercedes, where it has a memory and a piece of cake to fix. Poor Maxima...
All depends on the quality of the PDR tech. A lot more can be done than is said can be traditionally done. Really excellent techs use glue pullers on dents that they can't get behind, there's lots of stuff they can do.
Old 10-03-18, 03:09 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what's a ticked off vic deal?
I would like to know what that is also?

Quick Reply: has anybody successfully gone from parking far away and curbed to parking anywhere?