Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 10:30 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks a bit over-styled to me, but that's just my opinion. I hate the dual-screen look that so many manufactures are using! I think it looks cheap.
Old 10-04-18, 11:05 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Despite it looking a lot better, its still based on a generation old Civic, which was panned for too much cost cutting. I imagine that all of the previous complaints that it had rough ride, lots of tire noise and overall bad NVH is still the case with this restyle.
Old 10-04-18, 12:42 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Fizzboy7: Did you not get the memo? Buick is the world's most perfect car (at least the world represented in Car Chat). There is no use arguing.

That said, I hope that this does not turn into another Buick discussion.
Old 10-04-18, 12:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOVE THE HAND BEAKE!!!

much better than the stupid electronic e-brakes!
Old 10-04-18, 01:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Fizzboy7: Did you not get the memo? Buick is the world's most perfect car (at least the world represented in Car Chat). There is no use arguing.

That said, I hope that this does not turn into another Buick discussion.
Maybe they sell fair in other parts of the country, but not here in California. In fact, I am positive the Verano barely sold in California. I have seen a total of three on the road since they came and went. Those who had an interest in the car did not cross-shop the Acura brand. They are two totally different cultures and demographics. That is why I had to react to the statement, "The Verano blasted ILX sales." Nothing could be further from the truth in California, and likely everywhere else. The entry level Acura models appeal to a much younger and edgier group of people (growing up Honda Civic customers), while the Buick is still pointing to an older, more refined crowd. There is too much proof of this on the road each day.
Old 10-04-18, 01:58 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,735 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Maybe they sell fair in other parts of the country, but not here in California. In fact, I am positive the Verano barely sold in California. I have seen a total of three on the road since they came and went. Those who had an interest in the car did not cross-shop the Acura brand. They are two totally different cultures and demographics. That is why I had to react to the statement, "The Verano blasted ILX sales." Nothing could be further from the truth in California, and likely everywhere else. The entry level Acura models appeal to a much younger and edgier group of people (growing up Honda Civic customers), while the Buick is still pointing to an older, more refined crowd. There is too much proof of this on the road each day.
I see Veranos all the time here in KC.
Old 10-04-18, 02:13 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out that ancient handbrake!
Its there because of cost cutting. The Acura ILX still offer a 6speed MT so they just fitted the "old school" style E-Brake to all the cars. Also - its cheaper to replace pads on traditional e-brake compared to the new electric ones.

I personally think electric e-brake are stupid. It pretty much increased the cost of repairs/brake replacement in order for you have a cleaner center stack.
They could have kept the "step-style" e-brake. That way - you can still clear space in the center stack without increasing the cost of repairs/brake replacement.

Side note: If we are talking about "ancient" things, tons of car makers are still guilty of "ancient" things.
We still have the current F30 generation BMW having the traditional e-brake, no one calls that "ancient".
We still have Porsche not using push start buttons in some cars, they still require you to insert the key and turn it. No one calls that "ancient."

Last edited by BippuLexus; 10-04-18 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 02:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree that the Verano was not a factor, and much of the auto press agrees with me. I
The Buick Verano had absolutely nothing to do with the pitfalls and failures of the ILX.
Just curious, what was the starting price MSRP's of the ILX or Verano?

My immediate guess is that Acura and Buick appeal to significantly different buyer demographics. That said, it would probably be the case to a lay person that the ILX and Verano are competitors.
Old 10-04-18, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Overall I like it. I am glad someone is keeping the small car luxury models alive.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-04-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 02:56 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I think this is potential the best looking sedan in Acura’s lineup. The TLX and RLX are trying wat too hard with the blingy chrome accents and black accents. Old platform new face, tried and true platform equals awesome first luxury car purchase for some one.

Last edited by highrev6; 10-04-18 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just curious, what was the starting price MSRP's of the ILX or Verano?
Both cars were about equal in size and features, though the latest MSRPs on record showed a substantial difference.....base model Veranos started between 21-22K, base ILX around 28K-29K. That was one of the reasons I bought a Verano...it was a bargain.

My immediate guess is that Acura and Buick appeal to significantly different buyer demographics. That said, it would probably be the case to a lay person that the ILX and Verano are competitors.
I'd lump the Audi A3 in there as a competitor as well...and, of course, both the A3 and ILX offered, between them, either hatchback, electric, hybrid, and/or diesel versions (until the diesels were dropped) that the American-spec Verano lacked.
Old 10-04-18, 03:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Both cars were about equal in size and features, though the latest MSRPs on record showed a substantial difference.....base model Veranos started between 21-22K, base ILX around 28K-29K. That was one of the reasons I bought a Verano...it was a bargain.
I would say with the starting price points being $9000 apart, they might be appealing to a different class of buyer. But in theory, with price removed and demographics put aside, I guess they sort of compare.
Old 10-04-18, 03:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I still don't believe the ILX is as well styled as the sporty Integras and luxurious long wheelbase Concertos of the 80's.

Old 10-04-18, 04:23 PM
evident
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would say with the starting price points being $9000 apart, they might be appealing to a different class of buyer. But in theory, with price removed and demographics put aside, I guess they sort of compare.
Always thought the Regal competed with the ILX, in which case, the ILX definitely is the big loser.
Old 10-04-18, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Always thought the Regal competed with the ILX, in which case, the ILX definitely is the big loser.
No. The Regal is clearly a mid-size car. It is, in fact, an almost 100% re-badged German Opel Insignia, just as the Verano was a smaller, heavily-rebadged Opel Astra with a GM drivetrain and the effective Buick sound insulation. The ILX, on the other hand, is not exactly a rebadged upmarket Civic, but heavily based on that design.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura ILX