Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 11:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2019 Acura ILX

$2,200 price cut to go with redesign, more features

Acura brought a relatively substantial update to the 2019 ILX, and now it has chopped prices to boot. It starts at $26,895 including destination charges, a $2,200 reduction from the 2018 model. The price came down, yet Acura added to the car's standard equipment; that's something we can get behind. Now the full suite of Acura's driver assistance features come standard, instead of as a $1,300 option.

Exterior changes are the most obvious, with lots of new sheetmetal both front and back. You'll still be paying if you want the updated dual-screen infotainment system though. Equipped similarly to a 2018 model, it's $3,550 cheaper with the Premium and Technology packages. That same figure rings true for the A-Spec models too — an ILX with every package equipped tops out at $32,545 now, versus the $36,095 from before.

We're all for the heavy price cuts, but the ILX remains the same relatively boring vehicle under the new bodywork. The A-Spec model is still only an appearance package, and doesn't really pay homage to the sporty Acura compacts of the past. A 1997 Acura Integra Type R just sold for $63,800 at Barrett-Jackson. Seeing that, plus the fanfare surrounding the Civic Type R arriving in America, shows that there's clearly tons of untapped hype surrounding small, hot Hondas. A true successor to the Integra Type R, or even just the GS-R, would have enthusiasts tripping over themselves. Keeping the price low for such a vehicle like we see for the 2019 ILX would be the cherry on top.
Source
Old 10-03-18, 01:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Check out that ancient handbrake!
It's really not a bad-looking car. Front has modern touches. But back is overstyled and still pointy.
I'd recommend this car to someone in high school or college. It's a safe bet, makes somewhat of a youthful statement, and should prove safe and reliable. Discounts should also be great.
Old 10-03-18, 01:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,735 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The exterior, to my eyes, not only works better than before, but also better than the TLX's styling. It just flows better. With the TLX, it felt like they just swapped out the front fascia and left the rest the same. This is more comprehensive.

However, knowing it's basically a tarted-up Civic would give me pause before pulling the trigger. Nonetheless I am surprised how much more appealing it seems with A) better styling and B) and lower price tag.
Old 10-03-18, 02:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

exterior's ok but center stack in interior is barftastic.
Old 10-03-18, 05:46 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Front is really good. Too bad they've decided to put it on ILX instead of next TLX. I kind of doubt new TLX would top this face.
Old 10-03-18, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This new ILX may actually sell a little more. The last one was simply blown out of the market by the Buick Verano, which itself was not a terribly huge seller. I owned a Verano myself, though, and, though having a less-reliable engine, it was simply a better small luxury-oriented sedan, with better soundproofing, than the ILX. The Verano, though, is now gone from the U.S.......a victim of its own huge (Excelle) success in China, where it is the country's top-selling vehicle. So, the new ILX, at least, won't have as much competition here, except maybe for the also-slow-selling Audi A3 sedan.
Old 10-03-18, 06:38 PM
evident
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

they needed this car back in 2013, it woulda been a home run. I'll give them credit though it's much better now than at release.
Old 10-03-18, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by evident
they needed this car back in 2013, it woulda been a home run.
Not sure about that. Although the Verano was stuck with a somewhat unreliable non-turbo four, overall, it was simply too good a competitor. That's why it handily outsold the ILX. The Chinese absolutely went nuts over it.

However, with the American-spec Verano gone, only the A3 will be any potential competition...and the A3 costs substantially more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-18 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 08:59 PM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure about that. Although the Verano was stuck with a somewhat unreliable non-turbo four, overall, it was simply too good a competitor. That's why it handily outsold the ILX. The Chinese absolutely went nuts over it.

However, with the American-spec Verano gone, only the A3 will be any potential competition...and the A3 costs substantially more.

Biggest issue w/ the ILX in 2013 was the terrible powertrain choices. the MMC update made it not a terrible car anymore. and w/ this current round of refinement would have put it over the top of the verano, especially w/ honda loyalists.
Old 10-03-18, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by evident
Biggest issue w/ the ILX in 2013 was the terrible powertrain choices. the MMC update made it not a terrible car anymore. and w/ this current round of refinement would have put it over the top of the verano, especially w/ honda loyalists.
The 1Gen ILX had more weaknesses than just the powertrain. It lacked effective sound insulation, the seats were too firm, the ride was too stiff, and it was just too much of a Civic. Its major strength, of course, was that of virtually all Hondas and Acuras....assembly-quality and reliability.
Old 10-03-18, 09:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This new ILX may actually sell a little more. The last one was simply blown out of the market by the Buick Verano, which itself was not a terribly huge seller. I owned a Verano myself, though, and, though having a less-reliable engine, it was simply a better small luxury-oriented sedan, with better soundproofing, than the ILX. The Verano, though, is now gone from the U.S.......a victim of its own huge (Excelle) success in China, where it is the country's top-selling vehicle. So, the new ILX, at least, won't have as much competition here, except maybe for the also-slow-selling Audi A3 sedan.
The Buick Verano had absolutely nothing to do with the pitfalls and failures of the ILX. The Acura did it all on it's own. It was poorly executed out of the gate, and introduced into the market during Acura's most troubling and lost times. It gained it's own reputation based on it's own demerits. In America, the Verano also greatly struggled to gain sales, and was ultimately cancelled due to it's own lack of appeal. The two were not playing off each other and both cars are a hard sell for those who shop a luxury brand and expect luxury and a premium experience. The ILX has mostly been watched and patronized by graduating Honda/Acura enthusiasts and supporters wanting to move into the luxury arena. Only Audi and Mercedes have really been able to pull this off with the A3 and CLA.
Old 10-04-18, 12:23 AM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Buick Verano had absolutely nothing to do with the pitfalls and failures of the ILX. The Acura did it all on it's own. It was poorly executed out of the gate, and introduced into the market during Acura's most troubling and lost times. It gained it's own reputation based on it's own demerits. In America, the Verano also greatly struggled to gain sales, and was ultimately cancelled due to it's own lack of appeal. The two were not playing off each other and both cars are a hard sell for those who shop a luxury brand and expect luxury and a premium experience. The ILX has mostly been watched and patronized by graduating Honda/Acura enthusiasts and supporters wanting to move into the luxury arena. Only Audi and Mercedes have really been able to pull this off with the A3 and CLA.
The A3 is genuinely a great car, even if it's a golf. I drove it in italy for a week and it was a blast. The CLA asides from looks and badge is pretty lousy in my short experience with a test drive. The only reason why the CLA was able to pull it off was, well the badge.
Old 10-04-18, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I disagree that the Verano was not a factor, and much of the auto press agrees with me. It's true that the original ILX had several weaknesss, but the Verano had substantially higher sales numbers, as it turned out to be the best small car that GM (actually Opel LOL) had built in a LONG time. And I say that being totally objective, not just as a Verano owner myself. My comments would apply whether I had owned a Verano or not.

However, the ILX had one thing the Verano didn't...a more reliable engine. And, though I haven't seen or driven the 2Gen version yet, hopefully better sound insulation and seating/ride comfort......things the first one lacked.
Old 10-04-18, 09:31 AM
petrosi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks beauty
Old 10-04-18, 09:59 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

This looks way more upscale than the past ILX.

But yeah, that hand brake is so iconic for honda/acura

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura ILX