Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac tops Tesla in Consumer Reports semi-automated driving test

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-18, 01:50 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Has anybody in here said anything negative about Super Cruise?
Yes

I have driven multiple CT6s but not one with Super Cruise.
You missed out on literally the best part of the CT6. You have to test drive it again.

My opinion on these technologies. I would not buy a CT6 specifically because it has Super Cruise. I would however get Super Cruise if I were buying a CT6. I understand the benefits of this technology, but IMHO until I can actually do something else while its driving the car, such as respond to emails or texts or something like that, I don't know what else I would do while I'm sitting in the drivers seat just looking out the window. If I'm just sitting there, quite frankly I'd rather drive the car.
I would buy a CT6 just for Supercruise. That's how good the technology is. I've said before that it sets the new standard for luxury. Driving is driving, there's some things you can't do, like take a shower. But what you can do, technology permitting, is drive without your hands.
I've been driving for years and my hands have developed pains from the steering wheel. My age? 29. Anytime I can take my hands off of the steering wheel is godsend.

Eventually the technology will get to where the driver truly can avert their attention for periods of time at least. For me at the current time this technology is not so important that it would override other things that are important to me in a vehicle. For instance, why I chose the LS460L over the CT6 recently was because the LS rides better, is quieter, has a V8, its more comfortable inside, interior is better quality. The fact that the CT6 has super cruise would not negate those differences for me.
For me, my next luxury car must have Supercruise or I would not even consider it.
Old 10-06-18, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Yes

Where? People have asked questions but where has anybody said anything negative about Super Cruise?

You missed out on literally the best part of the CT6. You have to test drive it again.

Super Cruise fitted CT6s didnt exist when I drove the CT6, I would absolutely love to try it out.

Its not going to change my opinion on that feature though...I can understand what it does...and while I'd rather have it if I were buying a CT6 it wouldn't make me buy one just to have it.

I would buy a CT6 just for Supercruise. That's how good the technology is. I've said before that it sets the new standard for luxury. Driving is driving, there's some things you can't do, like take a shower. But what you can do, technology permitting, is drive without your hands.
I've been driving for years and my hands have developed pains from the steering wheel. My age? 29. Anytime I can take my hands off of the steering wheel is godsend.

Thats fine, I wouldnt.

I understand...I can drive without my hands. But...if I can't do anything else with my hands while the car is driving I think the utility of the feature is greatly reduced. The whole point for me of not wanting to physically drive is so I can work, write emails, text, be more productive with that time. I never sit anywhere and just look out a window...I don't want to do that in my house let alone in my car. 2 minutes of that has me screaming for something to do.

If you are 29 and have pain in your hands from driving, and need to take your hands off the steering wheel to get relief, you have a muscular/skeletal/nerve problem with your hands, arms, shoulders etc and thats a different issue. I've been driving for many years longer than you, and I drive for hours per day and have never had any pain or discomfort in my hands from driving.

For me, my next luxury car must have Supercruise or I would not even consider it.

With your apparent chronic hand problems I can understand that

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-06-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 03:00 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Consumer Reports throwing some autonomous driving shade to Cadillac is a smart move. Tesla can't really win them all. Driving benchmarks like these are only going to increase scrutiny on each system.

I'm not so sure I would put all my eggs in the "GM mapped only roads" basket. Roads are constantly under construction and maps need updating. Why would you put your trust in a system that gets outdated daily?

It's a matter of time for another software update to make Tesla a superior option. With more and more Tesla's on the road every year, Tesla will have the most up to date road database anywhere. Cadillac is barely getting started. It reminds me of Google maps in the early days until Apple had to do its own mapping system. That is the best analogy of where Tesla is with it's autonomous system... they're currently in the "google driver seat" position and everyone is playing catch up with a higher entry price to get in the game. No wonder Honda had to invest 2.5 billion to join the big dance.
Old 10-06-18, 07:22 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I don't see where this offers any benefit to the driver. Can someone enlighten me?
At this current moment in the development of autonomous vehicles, I agree, but I see SuperCruise as a stepping stone -- and a necessary intermediate step -- in the evolution of the technology.

SuperCruise may be only Level 2 ("hands off" / partial automation in the SAE classification of automation levels), but the engineers must slowly work their way through the levels from Level 0 (only warnings from obstacle sensors, with no automation), through Level 2 (partial automation), before getting to Level 5 ("steering wheel optional" / full automation).
Old 10-06-18, 08:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Cadillac tops Tesla in Consumer Reports semi-automated driving test-b8plpov.gif
Old 10-07-18, 01:22 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Unless Cadillac Starts Selling these SuperCruise Equipped vehicles by the crapton, this tech is poised to become the BetaMax of autonomous driving. CR top picks wont really help mass adoption
Old 10-07-18, 03:26 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Reports are that GM will include SuperCruise or UltraCruise in all GM vehicles. So much for the new standard in luxury.

I hope it is just an option that I can not choose.
Old 10-07-18, 07:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Reports are that GM will include SuperCruise or UltraCruise in all GM vehicles. So much for the new standard in luxury.

If you really do not like it, don't buy it. Or just don't turn it on if you have it. Like cruise control, you have to turn it on (I am quite certain) before you use it.
Old 10-07-18, 07:23 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Imo supercruise is useless until they finish mapping every single road in the world...
Old 10-07-18, 08:44 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Imo supercruise is useless until they finish mapping every single road in the world...
...and to finish that thought... Mapping every single road in the world is a never-ending job, so SuperCruise will remain forever useless.
Old 10-08-18, 08:27 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MODERATOR EDIT - theory816, exit this thread. No need for rude personal commentary in order to share your perspective, even if you disagree.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-08-18 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-08-18, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

I doubt it costs very much to put SuperCruise in other cars. Likely just some electronic hardware that is built into other stuff and then software.

You mean you just want it standard across the board?
Old 10-08-18, 03:24 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I doubt it costs very much to put SuperCruise in other cars. Likely just some electronic hardware that is built into other stuff and then software.
I'm thinking GM looks as this is a money maker and makes it a costly option. I don't think it's cheap to map all those highways, and then you'll have to buy an upgrade every year.

You mean you just want it standard across the board?

No, badly worded sentence on my part. I'm hoping it's an option.

Last edited by rogerh00; 10-08-18 at 03:27 PM.