Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac tops Tesla in Consumer Reports semi-automated driving test

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Cadillac tops Tesla in Consumer Reports semi-automated driving test

Super Cruise also beats Nissan and Volvo; test shows systems create risks

General Motors' Cadillac outscored Tesla in a new ranking of partially automated driving systems tested by Consumer Reports and released on Thursday.

The highly influential nonprofit organization, which tests and rates a variety of consumer products from appliances to vehicles, said it compared Cadillac's Super Cruise and Tesla's Autopilot with similar systems from Nissan and Volvo. Nissan's ProPilot Assist was ranked third and Volvo's Pilot Assist fourth.

Consumer Reports said it has been testing partially automated driving systems for several years but elected to conduct a formal study intended for publication, because "we are at a tipping point where they are now going mainstream," according to Jake Fisher, director of auto testing.

The organization said its tests, conducted on a private track and on public roads in Connecticut, were designed to measure the systems' ability to automatically control steering and speed in certain situations, while helping drivers pay attention and regain manual control of the vehicle when required.

CR noted that any of these systems can increase driving risk if used in inappropriate situations, or if drivers become inattentive or over-reliant on them. While they can help relieve driver stress and fatigue, Consumer Reports said, the partially automated systems are "not intended to be self-driving features."

The systems typically use cameras, radar and other sensors, as well as mapping data, to monitor location and traffic conditions and help keep a vehicle centered in the lane at a safe distance behind other cars.

Each system has limitations. Cadillac's Super Cruise, for instance, only functions on divided highways that have been mapped by GM. In contrast, Tesla's Autopilot can be used even on small, curvy roads with poor lane markings, but "operates erratically in those situations,"

Consumer Reports said.The organization tested Super Cruise on the Cadillac CT6; Autopilot on the Tesla Model 3, Model X and Model S; ProPilot Assist on the Nissan Leaf and Infiniti QX50; and Pilot Assist on the Volvo XC40 and XC60.

Consumer Reports said Cadillac's Super Cruise did "the best job of balancing high-tech capabilities with ensuring the car is operated safely and the driver is paying attention."

Tesla's Autopilot was cited for its capability and ease of use, while Nissan's ProPilot Assist did a better job than Autopilot or Volvo's Pilot Assist in keeping drivers engaged.

Cadillac's Super Cruise is not related to the GM Cruise self-driving vehicle now being jointly developed by General Motors and Honda.
Source
Old 10-06-18, 06:51 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I watched a couple you tube videos to try an understand what Super Cruise is. I don't see where this is necessary. In fact I find it scary. There is a camera on the steering wheel watching the driver and if you take your eyes off the road for some determined time it will warn you and then shut off. So I don't see how the driver can relax.

I don't see where this offers any benefit to the driver. Can someone enlighten me?
Old 10-06-18, 09:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I watched a couple you tube videos to try an understand what Super Cruise is. I don't see where this is necessary. In fact I find it scary. There is a camera on the steering wheel watching the driver and if you take your eyes off the road for some determined time it will warn you and then shut off. So I don't see how the driver can relax.

I don't see where this offers any benefit to the driver. Can someone enlighten me?
Cadillac also has the best name for this feature "Super Cruise". Think of it as cruise control that extends to the driving of the vehicle. Yes, the driver has to keep watching the road, as they do when a car is on cruise control, but the car takes over steering itself as well as making sure it doesn't run into anything either. It is not "autonomous driving" its just "better cruise control"

The benefit to the driver it the same as the benefits of cruise control.
Old 10-06-18, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Cadillac also has the best name for this feature "Super Cruise".
As I see it, by developing these self-driving features, Cadillac is (once again) taking the needs of their traditional customers in mind.................

Old 10-06-18, 10:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
It is going to be much ado about nothing in the long term IMO.
Old 10-06-18, 10:49 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts

Not meaning this in a disrespectful way but the 'traditional buyer' doesn't have many years left. 'Super Cruise' from Cadillac, the Spindle with Lexus, and other advanced or edgy things are the new norm. Automakers for the most part are moving away from luxo barges. The traditional buyer won't keep the lights on, younger more progressive buyers will. There is an explosion of technology in a world where we must have things immediately. New buyers want to be connected. Automakers are trying all sorts of things to lure buyers, be it with technology, new ways of owning cars ie like subscription services. It's a different world whether we agree with some aspects or not.
Old 10-06-18, 11:01 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one in this thread have a clue what they are talking about. Pretty hilarious actually. SuperCruise is the new standard for luxury.

Last edited by theory816; 10-06-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by theory816
No one in this thread have a clue what they are talking about. Pretty hilarious actually. SuperCruise is the new standard for luxury.
Care to enlighten us? Or just trolling as usual?
Old 10-06-18, 11:23 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

I've already talked about it in other threads. Its not my fault you don't want to listen.
Old 10-06-18, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've already talked about it in other threads. Its not my fault you don't want to listen.
LOL, okay. So trolling.
Old 10-06-18, 11:25 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ic-models.html
Old 10-06-18, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m not sure who you think is disagreeing with you or not listening to you...
Old 10-06-18, 11:39 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

The reason why I said no one here has a clue what they are talking about is because no one here has test driven the CT6 and tried out SuperCruise, as evident from the words spoken. The thread that I posted touches on why you have to experience it for yourself in order to appreciate the technology and to form a better opinion.
Old 10-06-18, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The reason why I said no one here has a clue what they are talking about is because no one here has test driven the CT6 and tried out SuperCruise, as evident from the words spoken. The thread that I posted touches on why you have to experience it for yourself in order to appreciate the technology and to form a better opinion.
Has anybody in here said anything negative about Super Cruise?

I have driven multiple CT6s but not one with Super Cruise.

My opinion on these technologies. I would not buy a CT6 specifically because it has Super Cruise. I would however get Super Cruise if I were buying a CT6. I understand the benefits of this technology, but IMHO until I can actually do something else while its driving the car, such as respond to emails or texts or something like that, I don't know what else I would do while I'm sitting in the drivers seat just looking out the window. If I'm just sitting there, quite frankly I'd rather drive the car.

Eventually the technology will get to where the driver truly can avert their attention for periods of time at least. For me at the current time this technology is not so important that it would override other things that are important to me in a vehicle. For instance, why I chose the LS460L over the CT6 recently was because the LS rides better, is quieter, has a V8, its more comfortable inside, interior is better quality. The fact that the CT6 has super cruise would not negate those differences for me.
Old 10-06-18, 01:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

I took a look at your thread you posted. I do agree that SuperCruise is a piece of technology that makes the CT6 stand out, as well as the plug in hybrid option vs just a hybrid. The Lexus ES and LS should have something similar for sure. But I do not think long term SuperCruise is going to change the world and make all that much of a difference.

Quick Reply: Cadillac tops Tesla in Consumer Reports semi-automated driving test