Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, sensing an opening, debates building Lexus cars in China

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18 | 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07

Though to be honest, from a build-quality perspective, I don't see a tangible difference between American- and Japan-built Lexus models thus far. On the other hand, I have only driven the US-build exmaples occasionally.
Yeah, I don’t think there is much a difference in build quality either. However, I think it boils down to the design of the vehicle and what Toyota really wants to offer, I find the Japanese designs seem to be a little more polished in the design. That said, I will admit, our 4Runner has needed more repairs than our Matrix which has more miles than the 4Runner although less years on it. I need a new rear wiper assembly as the plastic housing broke and I am too cheap and lazy to change it so it’s been that way for 2 years now. Also needed oil cooling limes replaced and an air bag/seat sensor issue with the belt or something like that. Our matrix needed new hatch struts and that’s it. Although it does burn oil. Our LX450 has not been cheap to maintain either.
Old 10-09-18 | 03:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Yeah, I don’t think there is much a difference in build quality either. However, I think it boils down to the design of the vehicle and what Toyota really wants to offer, I find the Japanese designs seem to be a little more polished in the design.
What does that design of the vehicle have to do where TMC builds it?

Toyota has several design studios around the world... during design phase, they compete to win the design. It has nothing to do with where the cars are built.

Old 10-09-18 | 03:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
What does that design of the vehicle have to do where TMC builds it?

Toyota has several design studios around the world... during design phase, they compete to win the design. It has nothing to do with where the cars are built.
Just seems to me the Japan made Toyota’s and Lexus models are a little more complete on the design. Toyota USA trucks have c channel frames while worldwide trucks come with boxes designs, 4 zone climate controls, IRS designs in the Corolla Hatch from Japan where the Canada design comes with a beam. My Corolla still has drums and so does the Tacoma. No height adjustment for the Tacoma seats. Stuff like that. My 4Runner has a matching full size spare mounted on an alloy rim and not a steel rim. Color coded fuel door/hood latch pulls for each on my 4Runner. Soft touch rear hatch close on my 4Runner.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-09-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-09-18 | 05:09 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

I kinda agree. I there is something really awesome about a vehicle being “Made in Japan”. Especially when there is a premium attached to the brand
i love how just about literally every single original part i've seen on my LS during the various little projects i've done is sourced from japan. except for the headlight bulbs, which are from germany. i don't think i've seen a made in china anywhere on the entire car. the oil filter used to be the 90915-20004 filter made in japan, but now toyota replaced it with the slightly smaller 90915-YZZD3 filter made in thailand, which is generally considered to be inferior.
Old 10-09-18 | 07:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Just seems to me the Japan made Toyota’s and Lexus models are a little more complete on the design. Toyota USA trucks have c channel frames while worldwide trucks come with boxes designs, 4 zone climate controls, IRS designs in the Corolla Hatch from Japan where the Canada design comes with a beam. My Corolla still has drums and so does the Tacoma. No height adjustment for the Tacoma seats. Stuff like that. My 4Runner has a matching full size spare mounted on an alloy rim and not a steel rim. Color coded fuel door/hood latch pulls for each on my 4Runner. Soft touch rear hatch close on my 4Runner.
That is not completeness or incompleteness of design. It is about adapting an international design for local market conditions. The Corolla model, for example, is an international design that is adapted and built for (and built in) different markets around the world; the North American Corolla may be built in Japan right now (as Toyota is pulling out the Corolla from its Cambridge plant and adjusting the factory to build the RAV4) but the model we get will be slightly different from models built in the same factory but destined for sale in Japan.

There are a number of factors that explain the features that you don't like about Toyotas, key among them being cost-limitation and cost-containment. Americans are very price-sensitive -- and much more so than buyers in the rest of the world -- when it comes to shopping for their personal-use vehicles. To keep retail prices down, there may have to be some less-expensive features substituted.

C-channel frames are cheaper to build than fully-boxed frames and if the more-expensive fully-boxed frame is not necessary for this market, it is cost-conscious to provide only what is wanted here.

The same applies to the torsion beam rear suspension on the last-generation Corolla (the model that you own); it is cheaper to build than a fully-independent rear suspension. Because the Corolla is a smaller, price-sensitive model, certain feature limitations had to be applied (like the torsion beam suspension and the rear drum brakes).

The new-generation Corolla is built on the TNGA-C platform which was designed, from the start, to be less expensive to build than the older platforms, so where features had to be made less expensive on the old model to limit costs, the new, cheaper design allows those more-expensive features, even in Corollas destined for price-sensitive regions, like North America.
Old 10-09-18 | 07:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i love how just about literally every single original part i've seen on my LS during the various little projects i've done is sourced from japan. except for the headlight bulbs, which are from germany. i don't think i've seen a made in china anywhere on the entire car. the oil filter used to be the 90915-20004 filter made in japan, but now toyota replaced it with the slightly smaller 90915-YZZD3 filter made in thailand, which is generally considered to be inferior.
Right. And is just so nice to see “Made In Japan” when you can get it. Especially when you pay a premium. Nice to your LS says “Made In Japan” on all the parts.
Old 10-09-18 | 07:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
That is not completeness or incompleteness of design. .
Sorry. I disagree.
Old 10-09-18 | 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The same applies to the torsion beam rear suspension on the last-generation Corolla (the model that you own); it is cheaper to build than a fully-independent rear suspension. Because the Corolla is a smaller, price-sensitive model, certain feature limitations had to be applied (like the torsion beam suspension and the rear drum brakes).
Not necessarily. Part of that question also involves the drivetrain. If you don't have to fit in RWD and a rear differential/driveshaft and the extra U-joints, there isn't much, if any difference in cost between doing a beam axle and IRS. American-market Corollas, of course, are FWD, and don't have any rear drivetrain parts.
Old 10-10-18 | 04:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevesands
I consider RX and ES to be only marginally true Lexus.
ah, the no true scotsman argument. and yet, they're the best sellers. And part of the reason is costs are lower because they make them in the u.s.
Old 10-10-18 | 06:05 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

ah, the no true scotsman argument. and yet, they're the best sellers. And part of the reason is costs are lower because they make them in the u.s.
When did Mr. Trump annex Canada into the USA? Was that an added chapter in the USMCA?

(The RX is built in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. The ES, however, is built in Georgetown, Kentucky.)
Old 10-10-18 | 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i love how just about literally every single original part i've seen on my LS during the various little projects i've done is sourced from japan.
And is just so nice to see “Made In Japan” when you can get it.
why is it nice or why does it matter, at all? i never cared less that the 2 lexus i had were made in japan, or the last 2 vehicles in the u.s., nor could i care less that my current car was made in s. korea.

Old 10-10-18 | 10:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

why is it nice or why does it matter, at all? i never cared less that the 2 lexus i had were made in japan, or the last 2 vehicles in the u.s., nor could i care less that my current car was made in s. korea.
Becuase it is, always thought it was really cool. I don’t see how you do not.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-10-18 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-10-18 | 12:59 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

well idk if it's as true today, but there was a time when made in japan meant (in theory) high quality workmanship and dedicated passionate workers. i think of chief engineer ichiro suzuki proudly standing next to toyota's fantastic achievement:

now come on, would he look as happy if the car was largely outsourced? lol but idk i've also always just loved japan and it's culture. the whole discipline, politeness, specialized techniques passed down and developed through generations thing they got going on. if you watch the process of making a fine katana this all becomes very apparent.

and also, when do you ever hear someone brag about something made in korea?
Old 10-10-18 | 01:27 PM
Hoovey689

Everyone here is getting hung up on 'oh no, it's not made where the company originates'. Lexus and Toyota have extremely high quality standards when it comes to building vehicles. Lexus manufacturing outside Japan is positively scrutinized, look at Canada for example. The Cambridge plant in Ontario, Canada is one of the most award plants in the world. If Lexus were to beginning manufacturing cars in China, you can bet the Chinese factories would be just as scrutinized if not more by Lexus to ensure quality.
Old 10-10-18 | 02:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Everyone here is getting hung up on 'oh no, it's not made where the company originates'. Lexus and Toyota have extremely high quality standards when it comes to building vehicles. Lexus manufacturing outside Japan is positively scrutinized, look at Canada for example. The Cambridge plant in Ontario, Canada is one of the most award plants in the world. If Lexus were to beginning manufacturing cars in China, you can bet the Chinese factories would be just as scrutinized if not more by Lexus to ensure quality.
I don't think anyone is getting hung up. I am sure the Lexus models that are coming out of Cambridge are just as good as Japan. I personally just think it is important to pay attention to heritage when one can or has the option, especially when the price is inflated such as a luxury item. Recently I was at Holt Renfrew, A LOT of the high end brands such as Prada for example still make products in Italy or places of such origin. Contrast that to a brand like Levi's that used to make a lot of stuff in the USA, where it is now originating from many places China included, yet there is a premium price to it compared to brands such as GAP denim and such. Hung up is not the word IMO.

Quick Reply: Toyota, sensing an opening, debates building Lexus cars in China