Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Sales Soaring, Competition Failing

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 08:38 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Just a minor quibble about phraseology: the correct term is "couldn't care less," not "could care less."

Of course a person could always care a bit less than they currently do. But if you couldn't care less, it means your care level is already at zero.

And as to whether raising the price of a Model3 by a couple of grand (due to the loss of credits) makes much of a difference, well, we'll see. To the extent that Tesla has become a religion to some folks then price becomes less of a factor. Same goes for Apple; I have a friend who will buy EVERYTHING Apple brings out, because, you know, Apple. Pricing never enters the discussion.
Old 10-18-18, 09:44 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Come to NY - they are everywhere.

While the styling is not my cup of tea especially interior on the model 3 - Tesla consumers seem to love it.
They don’t want gauges, buttons, and other crap - then you can just go buy a MB, BMW etc
I got to NYC multiple times a year. I have condo in the Flatiron District for when I head over there for business.

And I stand my statement. There is more Model 3s and Tesla in the SF Bay Area than any part of the world.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Any way you look at it, they sold 24,000 model 3's since April 2016 (30 months) which would equate to 800 units/month. The 2nd place car is the Lexus ES which sold 5,200 cars from 1/1 to 9/30 - which is just under 600 units/month. So Tesla, a young brand selling a brand new model, is outselling the ES (one of the longer-running and proven midsize luxury cars) by 30% each month. On top of that, the Model 3 is selling more units per month than the C class and E class combined. Can someone who is anti-Tesla please help me understand how you look at these stats and the graph included as post #1 in this thread and aren't impressed by what Tesla is doing to incredibly established luxury car models?

Seems like a lot of people are OK with the Model 3 interior...
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...tesla-model-3/
No. They "sold" 24K units in September.

Secondly - they didn't really "sell it" either. Its a backlog of orders getting filled. If you look at the Tesla Model 3 production numbers, Tesla was having trouble making Model 3s for awhile. As you can tell from the trend of the numbers at the link I posted.

Then all of a sudden, as their production numbers increase, their sales numbers increase. There is a correlation here. Its not they are actually selling 24,000 cars a month. Its they delivered 24,000 cars that month from the orders they received years ago.

Just because I knock on their interior doesn't mean I'm "anti-Tesla." Is no one suppose to criticize Tesla? They need to be criticized to improve. They currently hold the worst reliability rating in the car industry and that's sad.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Those are the monthly figures. Tesla sold 24k in September. The ES sold 5200 in September (34k from 1/1-9/30).
Yes. Its monthly figures.
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...tesla-model-3/

However - what fails to get addressed is, its likely the backlog of orders getting filled that pushed their numbers up. A sales of a car mean the car is only registered after the paperwork has been signed. I believe Tesla owners sign their paper work at the day of delivery or pick up.

If you look at the Tesla Model 3 production numbers, Tesla was having trouble making Model 3s for awhile. Then all of a sudden, as their production numbers increase, their sales numbers increase. There is a correlation here. Its not they are actually selling 24,000 cars a month. Its they delivered 24,000 cars that month from the orders they received years ago.

Old 10-18-18, 10:21 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

don't understand your post. I don't think 3's started shipping until mid 2017. A hell of a lot more than 600 es are sold each month in the u.s. ??
My fault. I read the graph wrong!
Old 10-18-18, 10:22 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
Those are the monthly figures. Tesla sold 24k in September. The ES sold 5200 in September (34k from 1/1-9/30).
Thanks for clarification. I read the graph (very) wrong!
Old 10-18-18, 10:36 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

In fairness to you, jrmckinley, I think the graph was intended to mislead. It compares apples to oranges...
Old 10-18-18, 10:36 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Either way, its very impressive what they were able to accomplish. I still don't agree with the article, just because the Model 3 is doing well, doesn't mean all of the old school ICE manufactures are going to go out of business or are in trouble. They will all adopt and will be okay. Its still very early days for the EV market.
Old 10-18-18, 10:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I still don't agree with the article, just because the Model 3 is doing well, doesn't mean all of the old school ICE manufactures are going to go out of business or are in trouble. They will all adopt and will be okay. Its still very early days for the EV market.
Looks to me like Tesla is dragging most auto makers kicking and screaming into the BEV market.
Old 10-18-18, 10:56 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Looks to me like Tesla is dragging most auto makers kicking and screaming into the BEV market.
Totally agreed, but thats what disruptors of industries do. It'll be nice to see the day when we get cars from Toyota, MB, BMW, Honda, etc that have the same range and quick charging abilities of the Teslas but with a much more robust network of charging stations. As an owner of a BMW 530e, I've found that biggest issue is with charging the car. There aren't enough chargers out there, and it takes way too long to charge the car. Even one with a smallish battery capacity as the BMW.
Old 10-18-18, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Sometimes, though, those who resist are correct.
Old 10-18-18, 11:15 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes, though, those who resist are correct.
Surrender to lithium, cobalt, nickel, and aluminum oxide. Resistance is futile.
Old 10-18-18, 11:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Backlog or not 24k sales in 1 month is amazing- Jaguar, Alfa, Maserati wish they can have that volume in 1 year lol.

Just wait till Model Y (small/cheaper) SUV comes out - monthly sales will double.
The EV market is completely untapped and Tesla is the only Brand that general public associates with EVs. Therefore they have incredibly strong position as the leader of this sector - same how Prius was the only hybrid people would consider for many years.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-18-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 12:16 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Tesla is not getting much credit, and ICE manufacturers really don't like new competition. It affects their sales. It disrupts the supply chain. It affects how orders are done from the dealership. It affects the engineering of the car. It affects the wiring and electronics. A car with no emissions with fewer parts and technically advanced. A vehicle with a longer than expected life term and fewer moving parts. It shows what stagnant ICE mfg'rs are facing.. they got too comfortable with the conventional ways of doing business. They forgot how to make a car to excite a new generation of buyers.

Apple disrupted everything about flip phones and blackberry devices. To this day, they're still disruptive as ever. Their 4th generation iWatch is almost as powerful as an Iphone 5. Apple has leveraged their market to become the #1 seller of electronic watches. It is an expensive entry cost to compete in what Apple does.

Tesla knows that ICE mfr's are angling for an entry point and they all lack a supercharger network footprint. Futuristic styled cars like the volt, i3, or prius are no longer necessary when boring, sexy, and sleek will suffice. It adds up to a 5-10 year advantage over everyone else in the market. Only Tesla recognized the opportunity when gas prices were spiking, tougher calls on emissions, and timed perfectly with the smart phone evolution. Tesla had the benefit of being in the heart of Silicon Valley to invent, and create some amazing things without legacy ICE and stodgy management footprints all over it, screwing it up, and running it into the ground. Tesla had the benefit of engineering the manufacturing to scale up to 8-10k units per week. Of course there were some mistakes along the way (such as too much automation). Now they can repeat the formula in clone factory sites in China and perhaps one in Europe. It's just a matter of time when the 500k car is made and the 1 millionth car is made. They're not stopping at model 3. They can add on the sporty suv on the model 3 platform without major significant additional cost. They can go to trucks and semi's, and eventually grow the supercharger network as needed and add mega chargers.

It is quite an accomplishment all with an underlying purpose that ICE mfr's lack... disrupt 21st century transportation for a cleaner, environment friendly world. The worlds' governments are open to reducing emissions and only Tesla responded with a viable product that buyers will put $$ down without seeing the car. Everyone else is stuck in the sand with their build first and hope there's enough buyers to buy what is available on the lots. The Olympics in Bejing was a serious wake up call for smog and pollution abatement, and just for 3-4 weeks the skies cleared up to put on an Olympics show while idling factories and half or more the ICE cars in the city. So there is a real choice to cleaner air and governments can make these choices mandatory. It all ends up for a Tesla win and reducing dependence on limited oil resources. If any ICE mfr is able to do 25% what tesla has done in sales and super charger network stations, then just maybe there's competition. Autonomous driving is now being seen as a possible back door to challenge Tesla's autonomous capabilties with one major caveat and anchor.... an internal combustion engine. It's putting lipstick on a petrol pig and hoping it wins awards and media attention, just like Cadillac did with their Super Cruise. The sheer numbers of Tesla vehicles on the roads vastly outnumbers any ICE has put out, so any ICE win is short lived.

Tesla does not get enough credit to move the needle in the transportation business. It wont be long they could stake a claim that they will become the transportation business of the 21st century with SpaceX, Hyperloop, Boring Machines, and an emissions free fleet of vehicles. I think Steve Jobs would be impressed.

Last edited by All4Lexus; 10-18-18 at 01:17 PM. Reason: fixed some poor wording: and hoping it wins awards and media attention
Old 10-18-18, 12:56 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by All4Lexus

Tesla does not get enough credit to move the needle in the transportation business. It wont be long they could stake a claim that they will become the transportation business of the 21st century with SpaceX, Hyperloop, Boring Machines, and emissions free fleet of vehicles. I think Steve Jobs would be impressed.
Very well said (not just the above quote, your entire response was great). Not only has Musk been the visionary for automobiles, but transportation across the entire spectrum. I've read a couple of books on him and find him fascinating.
Old 10-18-18, 01:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Tesla is not getting much credit, and ICE manufacturers really don't like new competition. It affects their sales. It disrupts the supply chain. It affects how orders are done from the dealership. It affects the engineering of the car. It affects the wiring and electronics. A car with no emissions with fewer parts and technically advanced. A vehicle with a longer than expected life term and fewer moving parts. It shows what stagnant ICE mfg'rs are facing.. they got too comfortable with the conventional ways of doing business. They forgot how to make a car to excite a new generation of buyers.

What is Tesla disrupting? Tesla makes no profit.

Apple disrupted everything about flip phones and blackberry devices. To this day, they're still disruptive as ever. Their 4th generation iWatch is almost as powerful as an Iphone 5. Apple has leveraged their market to become the #1 seller of electronic watches. It is an expensive entry cost to compete in what Apple does.
Why does everyone always use Apple? The market share of Apple is 20 percent, however they make huge profit. Nothing to compare Tesla and Apple.
Old 10-18-18, 01:33 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Backlog or not 24k sales in 1 month is amazing- Jaguar, Alfa, Maserati wish they can have that volume in 1 year lol.

Just wait till Model Y (small/cheaper) SUV comes out - monthly sales will double.
The EV market is completely untapped and Tesla is the only Brand that general public associates with EVs. Therefore they have incredibly strong position as the leader of this sector - same how Prius was the only hybrid people would consider for many years.
Its not backlog or not. Its 100% a backlog. This is why when you order your Model 3, right now, on the website. You will get a pick up/delivery date that is way longer than 3 months and typical delivery time for cars is 3 months. My C43 AMG is due sometime in December/Jan. I was quoted 3 months-ish. And this is a car coming from Germany.

Sure - that is good. Not doubting that fact. To be able to produce 24K cars in month. But you can't compare them to Jag, Alfa or Maserati. They are pretty small car companies and they do niche sales. And some Jag and Maseratis have hand crafted interiors.

Yeah. It'll double depending on how cheap it is. Secondly it'll also double the the production time. If they have a backlog for Model 3s, they will have a backlog for Model Ys.

Quick Reply: Tesla Sales Soaring, Competition Failing