Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rx 350 totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 07:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
^^^^ The insurance companies are probably aware of the price differences between typical shops. It won't be totaled unless the insurance company says it's totalled....and they will probably base that assessment only on certain repair shops. My company, for example, has a list of approved shops.
Seems to be a bad situation when one's vehicle is in good shape, i.e. taken care of, low miles, above average, etc. Years ago my parents' Honda was totaled, yet it was immaculate and my mom even (dunno why) put those runners on the side. Insurance co licked their chops on a low-ball payout (motor/trans 40k). I told my mom to play the waiting game--60 days later adjustor would not budge, which frankly surprised me. So she caved and took the offer. The car had been in the yard so long, my dad forgot to get the E-ZPass that I gave them, it started to get unauthorized tolls.

I had a friend who used to toy with this type of scenario, he was wealthy and had multiple cars. The longer he waited, the more the offer was greater than the last. I guess no more.
Old 10-22-18, 09:49 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Coworkers year old C300 got hit and included frame damage. After all said and done, it was $22k to fix and it was not salvaged. I told him I would have demanded it be salvaged since it had frame damage, but he didn't care due to it being a lease.
Old 10-22-18, 05:10 PM
Egbowers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Are you the driver at fault, or are you the middle guy in a chain reaction collision between multiple vehicles. You haven't mentioned what insurance coverage either. They don't care about what the vehicle is worth at this point. They want to know if you'll insist on a Lexus dealership for repairs and what parts you specify, and if you are at fault. It's about the claim and the fault and coverage, not what the car looks like in pics.

100% other drivers fault. Her insurance is Amica. It’s where Lexus told me to take it. Just trying to prepare myself!
Old 10-23-18, 09:48 AM
Egbowers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case y’all were curious, yep it was totaled. Worth 14k, 15k to fix. Anyone have an NX? Do you like it?
Old 10-23-18, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Egbowers
In case y’all were curious, yep it was totaled. Worth 14k, 15k to fix. Anyone have an NX? Do you like it?

I did a full review on the NX when it first came out. Unless a lower price is very important to you, pay and get the RX. It is FAR more comfortable on the road. I thought the NX was clearly lacking in refinement., had too much road/wind noise, and too firm a ride.
Old 10-24-18, 09:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did a full review on the NX when it first came out. Unless a lower price is very important to you, pay and get the RX. It is FAR more comfortable on the road. I thought the NX was clearly lacking in refinement., had too much road/wind noise, and too firm a ride.
Yea the NX needs a 2nd gen asap. I would definitely get the GX over the RX, though that is personal preference. It feels like a more solid and quiet and comfortable vehicle, BOF and all. And after driving a V8, kinda hard to go back to 4cylinders and even a V6.