Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Q5 vs. Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 03:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you feel the same about the Audi MMI?
I like them both and am comfortable with both. For me, it's getting used to them. If I had to pick one I'd give the nod to the iDrive but it's close.
Old 10-20-18, 03:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I really like the look of the new RDX. Love that they brought back the real SH-AWD again to this third generation. The new BMW X3 is also a gorgeous looking ute. The Q5 while nice, has never been my cup of tea.

Old 10-20-18, 05:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yes, I preferred the touch pad over the touch screen in the BMW. I thought it was very easy to use. Then again, I like the mouse like interface in my ES, too.
With the new iDrive, I think they call it iDrive 6 or something like that, you can either use the touchscreen or the control **** to execute things.
Old 10-20-18, 06:33 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
With the new iDrive, I think they call it iDrive 6 or something like that, you can either use the touchscreen or the control **** to execute things.
Yeah, I need to go back and revisit this. Maybe I can go on a day the test track is open.
Old 10-20-18, 06:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I need to go back and revisit this. Maybe I can go on a day the test track is open.
Sounds like you're in Napervile??
Old 10-20-18, 06:47 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Sounds like you're in Napervile??
I am. It's a nice perk for the local dealers that take part in it. https://www.naperville.il.us/busines...to-test-track/

It's weird that BMW isn't on the list. The salesman brought a prox key with him during my X3 test drive. It was closed for some event that was going on that day, so we couldn't get in. They're also the closest dealer to the track.

Edit: Never mind. They're on this list: http://www.drivenaperville.com/naperville-test-track-1/
Old 10-20-18, 07:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I am. It's a nice perk for the local dealers that take part in it. https://www.naperville.il.us/busines...to-test-track/

It's weird tqhat BMW isn't on the list. The salesman brought a prox key with him during my X3 test drive. It was closed for some event that was going on that day, so we couldn't get in. They're also the closest dealer to the track.

Edit: Never mind. They're on this list: http://www.drivenaperville.com/naperville-test-track-1/
Neat place. Makes me wish I'd gone to Naperville when shopping for the X3. It would have been fun to drive on it.
Old 10-20-18, 09:28 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My impression after driving both the RDX and Q5 is that the RDX is virtually a size larger closer to the Lexus RX350. The Q5 has some neat advance tech, but for me the RDX is a much better buy.
Old 10-21-18, 01:11 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Q5 over the RDX easy.

Don't let the RDX hype fool you. While I agree the RDX is a much better car than the outgoing car by miles, its still relatively "okay" in my opinion compared to the competition. I say that because my biggest issue with it is that - they won't let you get A-Spec model with Advance pack. The biggest issues with comments and reviews is that they seem to "merge" the features you get from the Advance and A-Spec into one. I have heard so many people go like - "Well. The A-Spec RDX has this over the BMW/Audi." While in truth, the RDX does but only the Advance pack does.

You'll be stuck choosing between a good looking A-Spec model with less tech. Or a Advance pack model that looks ugly. I think it has too much chrome and it looks good with it blacked out on the A-Spec model.
Old 10-21-18, 05:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

We were in a similar situation a few months ago, just one size up. So we looked at the MDX, X5, RX/GX, and Q7. For us, it was Q7 by a mile. Our priorities were comfort, reliability, and tech, probably in that order. Third row was not a factor. We've personally had good luck with BMWs over the years, and Audi has been near the top of the charts for the past several years--in fact, they were the only full-line manufacturer where CR recommended every single model this year (Genesis also got this distinction, but their entire lineup consists of two sedans). We're definitely still in the honeymoon period--we didn't start second-guessing our previous RX purchase until about the 4-month mark--but so far it's been everything we thought it would be, even though it was more than we wanted to spend.

Short version--we'd choose the Q5 also.
Old 10-21-18, 08:37 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never, ever, purchase a German car with the intention of daily driving it for 10 years. Japanese is the only way to go here.

I challenge you to find someone who has done so without some disaster out of warranty...

Last edited by sivikvtec; 10-21-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 09:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense, but it's about time they came up with an I-Drive system that was manageable. It's been in production now for 18 years.

I haven't tried the very latest I-Drive, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one, but I thought the first I-Drive system (and Audi's MMI) both s**ked, and subsequent ones weren't much better.
No offense, but this is spoken from a standpoint of not having working knowledge of the iDrive system. I agree it was universally panned when it first came out. But I never said that there were no improvements until the generation installed in the F30. I'm sure there were many advancements along the way. And neither of us has knowledge to say when it became more intuitive.

And--trying any infotainment system on a 10 minute test drive is just not a sufficient basis for determining if it's intuitive or not.
Old 10-21-18, 09:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
I would never, ever, purchase a German car with the intention of daily driving it for 10 years. Japanese is the only way to go here.

I challenge you to find someone who has done so without some disaster out of warranty...
Challenge accepted. And completed by simply looking in the mirror. The total out-of-warranty repair cost for my E46 over 12 years and 155k miles was $109: $49 for a Final Stage Resistor, and $60 for VANOS seals. My E90 has been a little more expensive so far after 8 years and 90k miles, as I paid $373 to have the glow plug control module replaced. Could have done it myself for about $140, but my hands aren't small enough to do so easily.

$500 over 20 years I can certainly live with. And is a lot less than we spent on repairs to my wife's Lexus over the 12 years we owned it.
Old 10-21-18, 09:41 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Challenge accepted. And completed by simply looking in the mirror. The total out-of-warranty repair cost for my E46 over 12 years and 155k miles was $109: $49 for a Final Stage Resistor, and $60 for VANOS seals. My E90 has been a little more expensive so far after 8 years and 90k miles, as I paid $373 to have the glow plug control module replaced. Could have done it myself for about $140, but my hands aren't small enough to do so easily.

$500 over 20 years I can certainly live with. And is a lot less than we spent on repairs to my wife's Lexus over the 12 years we owned it.
you should go buy a mega millions ticket...luckiest man I’ve ever seen on the internet lol.

ps I own German and Japanese cars and appreciate both. But no way am I daily driving German.
Old 10-21-18, 10:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sivikvtec

you should go buy a mega millions ticket...luckiest man I’ve ever seen on the internet lol.

ps I own German and Japanese cars and appreciate both. But no way am I daily driving German.
Looking at some of the latest reliability reports, they seem to be doing quite well. BMW is ranked 5th overall and Audi is 4th:
https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/...kia-1.14536765

That said, the Q5 and its engine are built in Mexico. That has me a little nervous for the long haul.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 vs. Acura RDX