Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Q5 vs. Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 05:21 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by AlDavison
Although we had a RX-330 and I can only compare to it, I just purchased a brand new Audi Q5 and we never looked backed. The quality, performance and workmanship of the Q5 put the RX-330 to shame. We had the Q5 a month now and we still can't get over it. The satellite radio sounds like HD radio with no difference. When you make a phone call, it sounds like you're using a real phone. The phone system in the Q5 is crystal clear. We get 26 MPG in the city and HWY combine. The 2.0 turbo puts the RX-330 to shame (no comparison); the turbo is very quick. The bass and the balance of frequencies from the Bang & Olufsen puts the Mark Levinson to shame and I have the Mark Levinson in my GS-350; the Q5 has an amplifier located in the back. The head lights are much better at night and additional lighting occurs when making left and right turns. All leather are real. Ambient lighting is everywhere and you can adjust it to your liking. The ride is stiff and smooth at the same time; very responsive. Most of all, the cabin is very quiet. The navigation system is google map and you don't need apple's car play. You can use android or apple's car play if you like. The entire car is a hotspot for your mobile devices and you can play DVD's, videos and music from SD cards, usb flash drives and compact disks. All formats can be ripped into the Audi Q5 hard drive. I can go on and on...

I know the RX-330 is not a NX, but as far a Audi is concern, ...buy it!!!
Thank you for replying! I know that Google Earth is going away, but do you know if that will also affect Google Maps? I need to get more seat-time in the Q5, but my initial impression was surprisingly positive. I thought the Audi just had the 2 SD card slots. Is there actually a built-in hard drive as well? What else were you looking at when you decided on the Q5? Did you look at the X3 or XC60?

Just curious if your dealer told you to use regular gas. That's what both Audi and BMW in my area are saying to use, but both obviously show requiring premium. Maybe because the difference is 80+ cents/gal in my area. It just seems strange to me.
Old 10-24-18, 05:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We really liked the seats In our Q5. They fit both my wife and I very well. I think our X3 has the non-sport seats. The sport seats were a question mark for us but we found the seats in the one we bought to be more comfortable for us. They don't seem to have as much side and seat bolstering. You have some good choices on you list. Good luck.
I sat in an X3 M40i with the sport seats. I didn't drive it, or it would probably be in my garage. The seats were better, but I still wish they could go back a little further. Again, my wife would not have an issue with that.
Old 10-24-18, 06:42 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

We really liked the seats In our Q5.
Yes sir! Those seats are much better than the X3, X5 and the GLE Benz. I drove them all, but my wife hated the Benz (all 2018 SUV models). If you want to try a Mercedes, the AMG series is a must for a comparison.
Old 10-24-18, 06:48 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by geko29
Looking forward to 10-12 years of exceptional service from our Q7
I'm thinking about selling my GS-350 for that amazing Q7. That's another fine automobile.
Old 10-24-18, 06:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Then I'm quite happy to have had two "exceptional" cars in a row. I only know two other people in real life with BMWs (a 2008 328i and an X5d, not sure the year), but theirs are/were "exceptional" as well. Haven't yet personally run into a "norm", but I'll keep my eye out.
I know personally know 3 people w/X5 M3 335i that had to dump their vehicles at around 60-90K because of non-stop -unscheduled- maintenance issues.

Old 10-24-18, 06:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I sat in an X3 M40i with the sport seats. I didn't drive it, or it would probably be in my garage. The seats were better, but I still wish they could go back a little further. Again, my wife would not have an issue with that.
You might also want to avoid the SQ5 when in the Audi dealership.
Old 10-24-18, 07:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I know that Google Earth is going away, but do you know if that will also affect Google Maps?
Splitting hairs a bit, but Audi MMI does not have Google Maps, just Google Earth. Maps are provided by HERE, which Audi, BMW, and Daimler jointly purchased for $3.1B from Nokia two years ago. The Google Earth display is an overlay on top of the onboard maps. You can see what it will look like after 2020 by turning the overlay off (forget where this is configured). This is what it looks like on an older version of MMI (2015 Q5):

Of course, that assumes that they don't roll out some sort of replacement overlay--they haven't mentioned anything either way. Live POI info and all the other metadata will continue to be provided by Audi Connect.
Old 10-24-18, 07:53 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Thank you for replying! I know that Google Earth is going away, but do you know if that will also affect Google Maps? I need to get more seat-time in the Q5, but my initial impression was surprisingly positive. I thought the Audi just had the 2 SD card slots. Is there actually a built-in hard drive as well? What else were you looking at when you decided on the Q5? Did you look at the X3 or XC60?

Just curious if your dealer told you to use regular gas. That's what both Audi and BMW in my area are saying to use, but both obviously show requiring premium. Maybe because the difference is 80+ cents/gal in my area. It just seems strange to me.
The Google Earth is going away in 2020, I was told that it will always be available for the newer model starting with 2019. I'll check the dealership about the google map for you. My dealership provides unlimited car washes for the life of the vehicle. So I'll check for you when go back very soon.

The Q5 comes with a hard drive, but I forgot the size of it. Music videos and everything else can be played on the hard drive or directly from the 2-SD cards and USB. I think the HD is FATS 32, but we were told that the navigation map is stored on the hard drive as well. This is why the MMI is so fast. We were told that the Q5 has 3 computers.

We had driven many new vehicles. The X5 had too many rattles from the console. The console was not sturdy. My wife calls it "Raggedy". We saw too many quality control problems with the new BMW's. The X3 was just too small. The Mercedes Benz failed short for some reason. My wife is 5'3" and the driver's seat in the GLE would not go up enough so she can see over the dash board. I think the smaller model is a GLA or something and it was like a cross over that was way too small for the price. In other words, it was an immediate no for Mercedes Benz. The only thing that I like about the Mercedes Benz was the AMG models and it comes with a very high 6-digit price. We did not look at the Volvo.

Old 10-24-18, 07:57 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
I know personally know 3 people w/X5 M3 335i that had to dump their vehicles at around 60-90K because of non-stop -unscheduled- maintenance issues.
My neighbor purchased one and got rid of it within one year of ownership. So sad...

Last edited by AlDavison; 10-24-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-24-18, 08:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Unless it's changed, Audi calls their built in hard drive "Jukebox". It's a pretty large capacity although I don't recall the actual #.

I look in on a couple of Audi and BMW forums and as you can imagine the "what gas to use" threads are all over the place. When we picked up our X3 two weeks ago the CA said they deliver all of their cars with premium but that's the only verification I have.
Old 10-24-18, 08:09 AM
AlDavison
Driver

You might also want to avoid the SQ5 when in the Audi dealership.
The sells person told me that the SQ5 comes standard with a super charged V6 engine that's turbo charged as well.
Old 10-24-18, 09:17 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

The sells person told me that the SQ5 comes standard with a super charged V6 engine that's turbo charged as well.
The 2018+ SQ5 has an all-new Turbocharged 3.0L V6, same as the current S4 and S5. Up through 2017 it had a completely different Supercharged 3.0L V6, the same engine as my Q7.

The only engine VWAG has ever made that was both turbo- and super-charged was the 1.4L "Twincharger" 4-cylinder, which to the best of my knowledge has never made it to the states, and was discontinued 5+ years ago.

Last edited by geko29; 10-24-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-24-18, 09:23 AM
AlDavison
Driver

The 2018+ SQ5 has an all-new Turbocharged 3.0L V6, same as the current S4 and S5. Up through 2017 it had a completely different Supercharged 3.0L V6, the same engine as my Q7.
I'll take the Q7 for sure!
Old 10-24-18, 09:35 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Splitting hairs a bit, but Audi MMI does not have Google Maps, just Google Earth. Maps are provided by HERE, which Audi, BMW, and Daimler jointly purchased for $3.1B from Nokia two years ago. The Google Earth display is an overlay on top of the onboard maps. You can see what it will look like after 2020 by turning the overlay off (forget where this is configured). This is what it looks like on an older version of MMI (2015 Q5):

Of course, that assumes that they don't roll out some sort of replacement overlay--they haven't mentioned anything either way. Live POI info and all the other metadata will continue to be provided by Audi Connect.

This is what the current MMI map looks like after Google Earth overlay.

Note: Left original photo in quote for people to compare easier.

The Google Earth is going away in 2020, I was told that it will always be available for the newer model starting with 2019. I'll check the dealership about the google map for you. My dealership provides unlimited car washes for the life of the vehicle. So I'll check for you when go back very soon.
This is correct. Google Earth overlay (which is bought through Audi Connect App) will be going away in 2020 for Model Year 2018 and earlier. The issue is that Google updated a software within their Google Earth system that makes it not possible to use on Model Year 2018 and earlier cars. However, for 2019 and later cars, Google Earth will be able to work because Audi has updated the system within their cars for the 2019+ years.

Note 1: Its more of a Google issue rather than Audi. Its Google changing their system that caused this.
Note 2: It is very annoying Audi can't just to do an update at dealers for people with older models so they can still use Google Maps.
Old 10-24-18, 11:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OP - you could pick up a slightly used SQ5 18+ for about $50K

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 vs. Acura RDX