Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RCF vs C43 AMG Race

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 06:48 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
so, is there no risk or long-term penalty to running E30 in a factory engine?
Depends on the vehicle and how old it is. My C43 has a flex fuel sensor and oversized factory fuel pump, so it comfortably runs E30.
Old 10-30-18, 06:56 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What's the diff between c450 and c43?
The biggest difference is the transmission. The C450 has the old 7 speed and the C43 has the AMG modified 9 speed with much quicker shifting. The engine stays the same, and no it is not handbuilt.

It takes an AMG technician 2 hours to assemble the 4.0 in the C63 and 3 hours to assemble the V12. The hand built aspect was the original marketing gimmick. If you look back to 1980s AMG, they were modifying factory motors, adding suspension, brakes, and a body kit (exactly what they did for the C43). That used to be the definition of an AMG until the “one man, one engine” theme started. Most people either don’t know or like to forget the actual history of the brand.
Old 10-30-18, 09:50 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Yeah, I guess having a guy inspect and look for potential flaws in the machining which would other wise never be picked up with machine assembly and then making sure each part is working the way it should is stupid. They are not just assembling the engines.

I mean it must just a gimmick as the LFA engines were also all hand built, although, I wonder why one of the most reliable car makers in the world decided not to completely trust their machines to the job? I wonder if the reason is to make absolutely sure every part going into the car was to the standard of what they were demanding. Well I will never know, b/c the internet says its a gimmick.
LOL What ever makes you feel better.
Old 10-30-18, 12:41 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

The biggest difference is the transmission. The C450 has the old 7 speed and the C43 has the AMG modified 9 speed with much quicker shifting. The engine stays the same, and no it is not handbuilt.

It takes an AMG technician 2 hours to assemble the 4.0 in the C63 and 3 hours to assemble the V12. The hand built aspect was the original marketing gimmick. If you look back to 1980s AMG, they were modifying factory motors, adding suspension, brakes, and a body kit (exactly what they did for the C43). That used to be the definition of an AMG until the “one man, one engine” theme started. Most people either don’t know or like to forget the actual history of the brand.
whoops, i forgot about the change in transmission, i formally retract my "now they just call the C450 the C43" statement from earlier lol

i definitely don't not know / choose to forget the history of AMG, which is why i know that historically AMG would take the already top model car, and make it considerably crazier still. they were more crazy luxury muscle cars than sports cars. what made you choose the mercedes over like, the 440i M? (genuine question)
Old 10-30-18, 01:02 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stroock639
whoops, i forgot about the change in transmission, i formally retract my "now they just call the C450 the C43" statement from earlier lol

i definitely don't not know / choose to forget the history of AMG, which is why i know that historically AMG would take the already top model car, and make it considerably crazier still. they were more crazy luxury muscle cars than sports cars. what made you choose the mercedes over like, the 440i M? (genuine question)
I really wanted the Alfa Giulia QV, but the lease numbers for a base model were crazy.

I drove the 440i M and the C43 before leasing. The 440i has better ride quality, was a little quieter on the road, and has the better transmission. The C43 has a nicer interior, much better exhaust, and was generally more fun to drive. The heavy rear bias on the C43 awd allows you to kick the rear end out with traction control off.

The 440i is too common, I pass 5 or 6 of them a day driving to work. I might see one C43 a day. That was also a nice plus for me. I also feel like BMW makes such small changes on the interior that you can hardly tell the difference between model years.

I used to be a huge BMW guy, my dream cars were the E46 M3 and E60 M5, but their cars for the last decade or so just feel stale. Their handling isn’t even top of class anymore. Just my opinion.
Old 10-30-18, 01:21 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Yeah, I guess having a guy inspect and look for potential flaws in the machining which would other wise never be picked up with machine assembly and then making sure each part is working the way it should is stupid. They are not just assembling the engines.

I mean it must just a gimmick as the LFA engines were also all hand built, although, I wonder why one of the most reliable car makers in the world decided not to completely trust their machines to the job? I wonder if the reason is to make absolutely sure every part going into the car was to the standard of what they were demanding. Well I will never know, b/c the internet says its a gimmick.
hey man don't group me in with the gimmick squad over there lol... i love that the AMG engines are assembled the way they are. whether or not it's actually resulted in improved quality i'm not sure, especially considering the M156 6.2 V8 literally had a class action lawsuit opened against it (which was dismissed).

as far as the something like the LFA is concerned, it's such a low volume, extreme car, i imagine there's no reason to bother setting up mass production to make like 600 engines.
Old 10-30-18, 02:46 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

as far as the something like the LFA is concerned, it's such a low volume, extreme car, i imagine there's no reason to bother setting up mass production to make like 600 engines.
Bingo. Doesn’t make sense to invest the money into machine assembly for low production volume engines.
Old 10-30-18, 03:18 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
LOL What ever makes you feel better.
If you don't get it, you don't get it.
hey man don't group me in with the gimmick squad over there lol... i love that the AMG engines are assembled the way they are. whether or not it's actually resulted in improved quality i'm not sure, especially considering the M156 6.2 V8 literally had a class action lawsuit opened against it (which was dismissed).
If there is a chance that a human will catch a defect which a machine will 100% not, I think it is worth it. And the premium put on AMG is not just for the Engine assembly, overall they have more options standard and are more luxurious. I guess it is what you yourself place value on car when buying.
Old 10-30-18, 03:48 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

If there is a chance that a human will catch a defect which a machine will 100% not, I think it is worth it. And the premium put on AMG is not just for the Engine assembly, overall they have more options standard and are more luxurious. I guess it is what you yourself place value on car when buying.
Lexus makes some of the most reliable engines in the industry and they for the most part are not handmade.
You are aware that most auto manufacturers have humans involved in several steps of engine assembly right? Even mass produced engines have a person visually inspect before the motor is sealed. Many manufacturers dyno every engine before it leaves the factory. Here is BMWs 4 cylinder factory for example:

Lets try to stop the arguing over engine assembly preferences and get back on track. The title of this thread is RCF vs C43, not hand vs machine engine assembly.
Old 10-30-18, 04:16 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's nothing to "Get". Just admit you fell for their Marketing Gimmick. Have you ever even seen a car made before? They are inspected by Humans, you think Computers Solely make the cars? They have product control where humans make sure things are done correctly. From Engine Assembly to Paint. Also AMG's are hardly "reliable". They are meant to be driven hard. So you saying they are some of the most reliable cars because a human is involved is pretty laughable.
Old 10-31-18, 02:24 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kense
There's nothing to "Get". Just admit you fell for their Marketing Gimmick. Have you ever even seen a car made before? They are inspected by Humans, you think Computers Solely make the cars? They have product control where humans make sure things are done correctly. From Engine Assembly to Paint. Also AMG's are hardly "reliable". They are meant to be driven hard. So you saying they are some of the most reliable cars because a human is involved is pretty laughable.
Poor me.....
Old 10-31-18, 09:05 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I thought the whole hand built motor thing was cool. I don’t know if it makes a difference in reliability but it’s a nice touch.

I wish I could afford an AMG. The whole lineup is awesome and fast.
Old 10-31-18, 10:43 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
I thought the whole hand built motor thing was cool. I don’t know if it makes a difference in reliability but it’s a nice touch.

I have had my fair share of cars, but the S63 I have is the best I have owned. The combination of the power and luxury can't be beaten by Lexus and my wife's parents own a LS500h which I have driven many times. But, Lexus has it advantages as well, which is still why I have not go away from them yet. I am still considering to sell my 2016 LX 570 for the latest G63.
Old 10-31-18, 11:26 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X

lol maybe your owning 5 aging luxury cars has something to do with it?

i can't afford one either so i got a highly depreciated yet still highly capable one