Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2019 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I will say, my 2002 ES is a boat. It wallows in the curves, even with new KYB struts. I like the floaty ride, but its a chore in the mountains.

Luckily, I live in Northeast Texas, where the tallest mountain we have is like 200 feet LOL
Granted, your part of Texas is rather flat, but if you want some nice roads in the state, the Hill Country, which stretches from Austin/San Antonio west about a hundred miles or so, has some nice stretches, especially on TX 337 between Leakey and Vanderpool. Also, not too far north of you, there are some nice roads in the Arbuckle Mountains of Eastern Oklahoma, which are an extension of the adjoining Ozarks/Ouachitas across the border in Arkansas.
Old 10-25-18, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Great write-up. Enjoyed reading it.
Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Thanks MMARSHALL for this write up. Love reading your insightful observations and comments.
Glad you enjoyed it. You'd probably like Alex Dykes even more, though....he is a true review-expert.

The Rumbler is a plus who like the 'vibration' over sound. Where does the Nanny part come from? That's a new term for me. I looked up the Lexus material online and didn't find a reference to a nanny. Pretty sure Fran Drescher does not count.
"Nanny" refers to those full-time employees who baby-sit children while their parents are away. In auto-speak, it is a slang term, used mostly by the auto press, to refer to built-in devices that constantly monitor what you are doing behind the wheel, think they know best, and protest or overrule your actions as a driver. I, for example, have two eyes, two ears, a brain, don't try to multi-task while I'm driving (except as necessary while reviewing), and generally don't need computer voices, buzzers, bells, chimes, or rumblers scolding me like a Kindergarten teacher.

I wished more of the review contrasted with the previous ES 350 generation. For example, what areas did they make an improvement in (unchanged, or got worse). Perhaps test driving a 18 ES350 before the 19 ES350 on the road test could have revealed some more depth in how the new 300hp+ engine is responding.
I've driven the former version. The old 3.5L V6 had 272 HP and 254 ft-lbs. of torque, so it was down a little from present power levels. The old 6-speed transmission has been replaced by a more efficient 8-speed, except for the CVT on the Hybrids. So, yes, the new version has a little more kick..but, in general, you need the SPORT mode to really nice it.

I am not a fan of how the previous generation ES350's puffed up balloon interior space and would like to know if that feeling carried over into the new generation. Did Lexus make a worthy upgrade?
The new interior, IMO, lacked some headroom, particularly with the sunroof housing, but the rear legroom was better than I expected, even with the drivers' seat set where I usually have it.
Old 10-25-18, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I agree. Plus I wished reviewers would start comparing how the car feels in terms of NVH and structural rigidity feel vs prior gen and its competitors, but I think it is beyond the scope of this review. Not a criticism, just saying places Motor Trend or even Alex Dykes would start doing that as a point of comparison.
In terms of rigidity, it is uncommon for new vehicles of any type, brand-new, particularly with high-strength-steel unibodies and robot-assemblies, to have audible squeaks or rattles....they are generally a thing of the past. Also, one reason why today's vehicles handle as well as they do is that the rigidity of the frames allows the suspension and tires to resist transmitting any more bending/flexing forces to the frame than necessary. And, yes, the new 2019 ES did feel more structurally sound than its predecessor.....but that doesn't necessarily mean a reduction in NVH, as the high-performance tires on this particle showed. The softer-riding 55s on the base car probably would have shown noticeably less NVH.

I agree, BTW, that Alex Dykes is the King of Reviewers, but he keeps a car for testing a lot longer than I do (his test-vehicles are usually loaned to him from the manufacturer), and he has access to a lot more testing equipment as well. I basically just evaluate the car as a basic description of what you, as a customer, can expect for typical daily-driving.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-18 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most of the intended ES customers, though, don't mind going around a corner saying "Oink". Until recently, the ES was not intended to be a sports sedan, and the vast majority of the people driving them simply are not into sports cars. Those who want canyon-carvers can get an IS or RC.
Remember, I bought two ES sedans new and put a total of 225,000 miles on them. I think I know a little about what buyers of the sedan want.

Its not about being a canyon carver, its about being comfortable driving the car in any situation, and in my 2003 ES that was just not the case. If you do wind up on a twisty mountain road, the car felt unsettled and unsafe at times. On a highway at 80MPH the car floated and didn't feel confidence inspiring. My 2010 ES by comparison was no handling pro, but it didn't feel unsettled or unsafe on those same roads. The ride may have been slightly firmer, but the tradeoff in overall driving comfort because of its more sure footed handling was well worth that. The 2010 ES was a much more enjoyable car to drive than the 2003 ES.

I'm sure you test drove a couple of them 15 years ago, but remember I had one and I put 170,000 miles on it, I think I have some insight into its plusses and minuses. The 2019 ES rides almost as well as that 2003 ES did, if not as well, and the handling prowess makes it feel like a much more substantial car.
Old 10-25-18, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its not about being a canyon carver, its about being comfortable driving the car in any situation, and in my 2003 ES that was just not the case. If you do wind up on a twisty mountain road, the car felt unsettled and unsafe at times. On a highway at 80MPH the car floated and didn't feel confidence inspiring. My 2010 ES by comparison was no handling pro, but it didn't feel unsettled or unsafe on those same roads. The ride may have been slightly firmer, but the tradeoff in overall driving comfort because of its more sure footed handling was well worth that. The 2010 ES was a much more enjoyable car to drive than the 2003 ES.
So I take it that you took some trips to Beckley that weren't over I-81 or I-64? Agreed, get off the Interstates, and WV has some of the snakiest (and steepest) roads in the country, if not the highest. 50, 33, 250, 93...they are all more or less the same.

The 2019 ES rides almost as well as that 2003 ES did, if not as well, and the handling prowess makes it feel like a much more substantial car.

Since you apparently drove a new 2019 with the standard 18" 55-series tires (and I didn't), I'll take your word for that part of it. To my tastes, I wasn't impressed with the 17" 45's....but, then, again, I like a Cush-Tush ride, and usually just take it easy in the corners.
Old 10-25-18, 03:16 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not sure what you mean about "puffed up balloon interior space...
This observation came from being at a car show earlier this year. Stepping into a 2018 ES felt like there was a cavernous interior space. Just different versus than a GS or LS feel. It was as if someone puffed up an enormous balloon within a sedan frame and the car's dimensions adapted to it.

MMARSHALL responds later there was more of a normal feel to it this time around for the 2019. They had to do some rear seat engineering with a small trade off of a little bit of head room, which is better in my book.
Old 10-25-18, 03:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I honestly do not understand what the 2003 ES330 has to do with this review. It’s not a comparison. Nor is it a flashback. The new ES rides plenty nice, sharp and precise yet it has just enough softness to make it livable. There is no point having 300+ hp with a soft marshmallow suspension.

Seems like the OP knew going that they would not like the ES.

Old 10-25-18, 03:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Stepping into a 2018 ES felt like there was a cavernous interior space. Just different versus than a GS or LS feel. I.
Perpsnally speaking. The new ES seems to have a better interior design than the GS or new LS. Can’t believe how cramped the new LS feels compared to the outgoing one. Forget the back seats. GS has the best gauge cluster as the horns and design of the ES and LS are hard to get past.
Old 10-25-18, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I honestly do not understand what the 2003 ES330 has to do with this review. It’s not a comparison. Nor is it a flashback. The new ES rides plenty nice, sharp and precise yet it has just enough softness to make it livable.

Did you drive the version (as I did) with the 45-series 18" tires? Naturally the taller 55s are going to ride softer. But that isn't the purpose of the review. I wanted to see if Lexus could make the 45's ride comfortably. While they might be OK for some people, they are too stiff for me. And, besides, I wasn't just thinking of myself, but of the (many) people across the country who buy or lease the ES.

There is no point having 300+ hp with a soft marshmallow suspension.
Wrong. My own car (with 302 HP) disproves that contention. While I wouldn't quite call it a true marshmallow suspension (nothing today is), it is quite complaint and comfortable by today's standards.

Seems like the OP knew going that they would not like the ES.
Again, Wrong. While I do indeed have my opinions, and can think for myself, I go into every review with an open mind, and do not judge in advance. If I did not, I would not waste my time (and yours) doing them. I'd just go listen to King Alex.....who probably does the best reviews, hands-down.
Old 10-25-18, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

MMARSHALL responds later there was more of a normal feel to it this time around for the 2019. They had to do some rear seat engineering with a small trade off of a little bit of head room, which is better in my book.
The rear seat legroom was indeed more than I expected....even for a person my size. Might (?) have impacted a little on the trunk space, though....and the rear seat didn't fold down (that I could see)
Old 10-25-18, 03:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I think this ES is just a massive improvement over the outgoing model. It’s not a car I’d buy for myself but I bet my wife would like it.
Old 10-25-18, 03:46 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

The rear seat legroom was indeed more than I expected....even for a person my size. Might (?) have impacted a little on the trunk space, though....and the rear seat didn't fold down (that I could see)
Yes, this article goes into some detail about it: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...us-es-preview/

What lies beneath

The 2019 ES doesn't just wear a more dynamic and self-assured new jacket, it's got more muscle lurking underneath, too. Thanks in part to increased use of high-strength steels, the ES' new platform is stiffer. And while the ES shares much of its body-in-white with the more prosaic 2019 Toyota Avalon, there are a number of key differences, including increased use of laser-screw welding and structural adhesives to further improve rigidity. Notably, the ES receives a V-brace mounted behind the rear seats that improves torsional bending resistance at the expense of being able to fold the rear setbacks for added utility.
I guess Lexus had the practical boldness and awareness that for these luxe sedan cars, if you absolutely have to fold seats down -- most of these familes/owners are likely have a SUV or truck to accommodate those needs. Tesla went even further to make it utility as possible to hold bikes and surfboards (and one person camping).
Old 10-25-18, 03:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, this article goes into some detail about it: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...us-es-preview/

What lies beneath

The 2019 ES doesn't just wear a more dynamic and self-assured new jacket, it's got more muscle lurking underneath, too. Thanks in part to increased use of high-strength steels, the ES' new platform is stiffer. And while the ES shares much of its body-in-white with the more prosaic 2019 Toyota Avalon, there are a number of key differences, including increased use of laser-screw welding and structural adhesives to further improve rigidity. Notably, the ES receives a V-brace mounted behind the rear seats that improves torsional bending resistance at the expense of being able to fold the rear setbacks for added utility.
I guess Lexus had the practical boldness and awareness that for these luxe sedan cars, if you absolutely have to fold seats down -- most of these familes/owners are likely have a SUV or truck to accommodate those needs. Tesla went even further to make it utility as possible to hold bikes and surfboards (and one person camping).
I think there is some evidence that Lexus wants to move you into the higher priced RX if you want food flat seats and more space. Avalon offers the fold down seats.
Old 10-25-18, 04:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Did you drive the version (as I did) with the 45-series 18" tires? Naturally the taller 55s are going to ride softer. But that isn't the purpose of the review. I wanted to see if Lexus could make the 45's ride comfortably.
Dont remember. All I know, my father and I asked for the model that had noise reducing rims.
Old 10-25-18, 05:14 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Probably has to do with noise insulation too. I am sure that if you don't have fold-down rear seating, that you can get more sound deadening insulation back there. Also, to my knowledge, I don't think the ES has ever had a fold down rear seat? I know my 02 doesn't.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2019 Lexus ES350