Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ultra-Luxury Coach Cars...If money was no object, which would you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18 | 03:33 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
I liked the old Maybach 57 and 62 more then the current one which is basically just a stretched S class now with some added features, I don't think the new one is really worth the extra money over a loaded S class sedan, they look the same, the 57 and 62 were unique from a S class in most ways. A used Maybach 57 or 62 would definitely be a top choice for me for a ultimate luxury sedan.
they're definitely more unique than the current "maybach" but at the same time not that unique, and i know that's one of the reasons people attribute to it being a sales failure. a lot of the buttons were just plain early 00s mercedes buttons, and the whole car itself is based on the W140.

top gear always loved to hate it (i suspect nationalism plays a big part in preferring the rolls, as nationalism often plays a big part on top gear, even though the rolls is hardly an all british effort) but that was always my dream getting chauffeured around car.
Old 10-25-18 | 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I am with you there. If I was going to drive it myself, Bentley all the way. Rolls if I have a driver. I mean honestly, how discernably different will the ride between a mulsanne a phantom be? splittling hairs here. But I LOVE the Bentley interior.
They're actually pretty different. I haven't specifically driven a Mulsanne or a new Phantom, but I have driven the old Phantom and a couple of other Bentleys, Bentleys are a lot more driver oriented, the Rolls is basically a total isolation chamber.
Old 10-25-18 | 10:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Easy. Immediate purchase of a diesel pusher. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, cockpit, and the sweet smell of diesel all in one.
Can't get pics to load on this website anymore....
Old 10-26-18 | 04:24 AM
Benoit
Advanced

I would have a Maybach trim customized Honda N-Box.

...and before somebody comment, the car costs 1.66 millions.

Last edited by Benoit; 10-26-18 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-26-18 | 05:14 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

RR Phantom from that list but in reality if I could I would do the Toyota Century.

Old 10-26-18 | 05:48 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Rolls Royce Dawn for me.
Old 10-26-18 | 06:26 AM
situman
Pole Position

What would it be then? C'mon, lets have it...

I am with you there. If I was going to drive it myself, Bentley all the way. Rolls if I have a driver. I mean honestly, how discernably different will the ride between a mulsanne a phantom be? splittling hairs here. But I LOVE the Bentley interior.
Originally Posted by Stroock639
that's why you need one of these bad boys

even a rolls royce doesn't let you fully recline in the back seat like this does
Yea one of these unobtaniums, with the V12! Then mod to be left hand drive
Old 10-26-18 | 12:41 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Easy. Immediate purchase of a diesel pusher. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, cockpit, and the sweet smell of diesel all in one.
Can't get pics to load on this website anymore....
Yeah, motorcoach wont work. Can't take it through a parking garage, cant valet it, can't do much of anything practical with it at all. I can however, use it to tow my Bentley from one city to another, where I can then ride around in sublime comfort and style in my Mulsanne.

Originally Posted by plex
RR Phantom from that list but in reality if I could I would do the Toyota Century.

Those are JDM though, very hard to find over here and I dont imagine they would be any kind of easy to find parts for. May as well have an LS of that same vintage and trick it out with curtains and recliner seats

Originally Posted by geko29
Rolls Royce Dawn for me.
I had to google that one:

Very nice.

Old 10-26-18 | 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
the Rolls is basically a total isolation chamber.
In my book, even a driver can appreciate that.
Old 10-26-18 | 04:55 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Those are JDM though, very hard to find over here and I dont imagine they would be any kind of easy to find parts for. May as well have an LS of that same vintage and trick it out with curtains and recliner seats
LS doesn't have the V12 though (despite its V8 being faster but who cares) and come on that wouldn't be the same! this engine (1GZ-FE) was made exclusively for this car, and only ever used by these cars, so no one can claim this car isn't unique enough.

if you're really lucky you can find one of the nearly 100 made in left hand drive, originally for use by japanese diplomats and toyota executives when outside of japan lol (https://autoc-one.jp/toyota/century/...0901/0005.html). it's like a bentley or rolls royce that doesn't break down! watch enough videos of the century and it'll become your favorite haha. are you saying what's good enough for the emperor, isn't good enough for you?
Old 10-26-18 | 05:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Not too many choices within the parameters but in the spirit of the thread, some quiet imposing luxury. The Rolls Royce Phantom Limelight edition at an obscene $650K, just 25 available. Other than that, Maybach is still a great choice

Last edited by MattyG; 10-26-18 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-26-18 | 05:38 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

None, these group of cars don't interest me, I would use the hypothetical funds to get the ultimate sports car, 911 GT3 RS in Lizard Green.
Old 10-26-18 | 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Guy in my neighborhood has a LWB Phantom. He parks it on the street outside his townhouse. Very strange LOL
Old 10-27-18 | 04:04 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Guy in my neighborhood has a LWB Phantom. He parks it on the street outside his townhouse. Very strange LOL
Not quite to that level, but there's a guy in my neighborhood who lives in a probably 1100 sqft house with no garage (most houses in the neighborhood have 1 or 2 car garages, a couple of 3), and parks an i8 in the driveway. Always thought that odd.
Old 10-27-18 | 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Not quite to that level, but there's a guy in my neighborhood who lives in a probably 1100 sqft house with no garage (most houses in the neighborhood have 1 or 2 car garages, a couple of 3), and parks an i8 in the driveway. Always thought that odd.
To each their own LOL

Quick Reply: Ultra-Luxury Coach Cars...If money was no object, which would you have?