Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus is the most reliable brand according to Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 09:48 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is pretty much same everywhere....

WhatCar UK - Lexus most reliable overall (they also had cars >4yr old)

https://newsroom.lexus.eu/lexus-agai...-manufacturer/

So according to this list Alfa Romeo is more reliable than Honda?!?! What happened to Honda?
Old 10-30-18, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

It is pretty much same everywhere....

WhatCar UK - Lexus most reliable overall (they also had cars >4yr old)

not the same at all... so i was looking at the report from the other CR thread on reliability definition here: https://www.motori.news/le-auto-piu-...rts-28230.html

and it shows CR rates volvo DEAD LAST with a rating of "22" whatever that means, and lexus TOP OF HEAP with "78"

yet i see in your report above with lexus at 97.5% and volvo just below at 91.5%!

and suzuki outranks lexus huh? really?
Old 10-30-18, 10:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not the same at all... so i was looking at the report from the other CR thread on reliability definition here: https://www.motori.news/le-auto-piu-...rts-28230.html

and it shows CR rates volvo DEAD LAST with a rating of "22" whatever that means, and lexus TOP OF HEAP with "78"

yet i see in your report above with lexus at 97.5% and volvo just below at 91.5%!

and suzuki outranks lexus huh? really?
actually WhatCar ranks Lexus #1 overall, this is the list for 1-4 years and there is a list for over 4 years... overall Lexus #1, but you have to buy magazine to get it all together.

And you have to take into consideration that it is a different market - for instance in the UK, Volvo sells completely different set of engines than in the USA. Infotainment might be also different.

As someone asked about Honda, they are having issues with some of their latest engines, they used to be #1 in these surveys... most Suzuki's have small NA engines, and are generally rated really well in all surveys around the Europe.
Old 10-30-18, 11:43 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As someone asked about Honda, they are having issues with some of their latest engines, they used to be #1 in these surveys... most Suzuki's have small NA engines, and are generally rated really well in all surveys around the Europe.
Still I'm really shocked that Alfa Romeo was ranked so highly. I was really interested in the Gulia until half of the reviews I read indicated that the test cars suffered from a myriad of odd problems.
Old 10-30-18, 01:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Lexus and Toyota at the top. Nothing new there.
Old 10-30-18, 01:43 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
fixed your post

and to answer your question, it might have to do with the fact infiniti has sold nearly 200K q50 (including a hybrid version) versus like three q60's
Were you trying to make a point by saying "the four models represented"? See this is why I don't like CR. Infiniti doesn't have a huge lineup, so the difference in reliability isn't likely to be large between their most- and least-reliable cars. The average reader of this article, however, probably doesn't have access to the information saying which 4 are included, etc. I can't seem to find it myself. Maybe I need to pay to see that.
Old 10-30-18, 02:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Still I'm really shocked that Alfa Romeo was ranked so highly. I was really interested in the Gulia until half of the reviews I read indicated that the test cars suffered from a myriad of odd problems.
well this chart is only up to 3 years (we dont have overall chart or chart for over 3 years), and also consider most of their sales as for Mito and Giulietta, cars that are very old, not sold in the US... plus engines for sale in UK are likely 95% diesels. In general, Alfa's are known for their reliability issues in Europe as well.
Old 10-31-18, 12:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Looking at these results. There are 18 brands that are more reliable than any American brand where Ford finally shows up. Cadillac at 32 average reliability is pretty scary. Lincoln at 43, Buick at 44, Genesis at 52 which I expected to be closer to the 70's. Honda at 50 (ouch) No data available to interpret the results from CR, so that is a drawback. It is scary having any of the American brands on the survey. Interestingly. Volvo is now mostly made in China, and they are at the absolute bottom of the list. i would expected Nissan to do a lot better.