Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ok y'all, help me choose a sports car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18 | 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
You are like the 4th person to suggest a Porsche. I will admit it, the last one I drove was over 10 years old, so...I should probably go drive a new one.
If you drive a new 911 and get excited, your enthusiasm might wane when you see the price with options compared to your budget.
Old 10-31-18 | 09:03 PM
swajames
Pole Position

The 997 era 911 is well within your budget, you can get a low mileage 2008/2009 (and even maybe up to a 2010/2011) Carrera S Convertible for around 50K. I bought a 997 911 convertible with the manual transmission and I loved it (my trade in was my 997 911 S Coupe, and I much preferred the softtop). Mine had a modified exhaust and a SmartTop mod which enabled key fob soft top control. The 6MT is sweet, easy to heel and toe. I'd probably avoid the pre-2009 Tiptronic, but the PDK double clutch was available on the 2009 and onwards and it's a great transmission. Ideal spec has PSE (sport exhaust) and Sport Chrono. Doesn't check your V8 box, but it's one of the benchmark cars in the class for a reason.
Old 10-31-18 | 09:18 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

You basically described one of two vehicles that come to mind from my memory.

Depreciation has been very good, very fun to drive All wheel drive sports car that will blow your wig off in a straight line. Exciting exhaust note. Fairly reliable very easy to work on.

Many people over look the 981 Boxster GTS. It’s fun to drive sounds awesome and is extremely reliable. It also offers tons of luxury features that you requested.
Old 11-01-18 | 09:08 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm not sure it checks every single box, but I personally wouldn't be able to resist an SL550. You could be in the 2014 or 2015 range given your budget. A timeless beauty IMO.

Great suggestion, but I would go with a 2011 SL63, last year of the 6.2! You can pick one up under 40k easily, leaving plenty of money for gas and maintenance.

Link to one for sale: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=208243882

Exhaust:
Old 11-01-18 | 09:27 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

^^^^ ooohhh... That sound!
Old 11-01-18 | 10:34 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

How much $$ do you preserve to maintain one of these car?
If your budget is very tight, don't go for German cars, because there are too many sensors in them, and can easily trigger error/warning, the worst thing is can even put the car in limp mode.
But mechanical parts of German cars are better IMO.
Old 11-01-18 | 11:07 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sears1234
If your budget is very tight, don't go for German cars, because there are too many sensors in them, and can easily trigger error/warning, the worst thing is can even put the car in limp mode.
On 2009-2011 SL63s, as long as you have the engine and hydraulics for the folding roof inspected by a Mercedes tech, he should be good to go for quite a while. Most of them don’t have nightvision, lane keeping, self parking, etc. By today’s standards, 2011 models are very low tech.

There is a reason, they are still holding at 40k and not 15k-20k like the older V12 mercedes.
Old 11-01-18 | 11:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

you want a badge or a real SPORTS CAR??
Old 11-01-18 | 12:13 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swajames
The 997 era 911 is well within your budget, you can get a low mileage 2008/2009 (and even maybe up to a 2010/2011) Carrera S Convertible for around 50K. I bought a 997 911 convertible with the manual transmission and I loved it (my trade in was my 997 911 S Coupe, and I much preferred the softtop). Mine had a modified exhaust and a SmartTop mod which enabled key fob soft top control. The 6MT is sweet, easy to heel and toe. I'd probably avoid the pre-2009 Tiptronic, but the PDK double clutch was available on the 2009 and onwards and it's a great transmission. Ideal spec has PSE (sport exhaust) and Sport Chrono. Doesn't check your V8 box, but it's one of the benchmark cars in the class for a reason.
I will make no recommendation - it's your choice. But if you get a Porsche 911, Boxster, or Cayman, get a 2009 or newer with the 9A1 engine - a much better, more reliable engine than the prior M97 and M96 engines. The 996 Turbo and 996 GT3 are sleepers in the sense that they have the much better Mezger Engine rather than the M96 engine used in the 986 Boxster and 996 911. If you get a car with the M96 engine, make sure it has an updated IMS bearing or set aside $$ to get the update.
Old 11-01-18 | 12:20 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
I will make no recommendation - it's your choice. But if you get a Porsche 911, Boxster, or Cayman, get a 2009 or newer with the 9A1 engine - a much better, more reliable engine than the prior M97 and M96 engines. The 996 Turbo and 996 GT3 are sleepers in the sense that they have the much better Mezger Engine rather than the M96 engine used in the 986 Boxster and 996 911. If you get a car with the M96 engine, make sure it has an updated IMS bearing or set aside $$ to get the update.
You know your Porsche cars! Well said.
Old 11-02-18 | 08:40 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by sears1234
Im not on a tight budget as far as repairs and maintenance. I can do 95% of it myself.
Originally Posted by bagwell
you want a badge or a real SPORTS CAR??
I'm after the driving experience. Dont care about the badge.

Corvettes are pretty much out as they ride like **** on all but the smoothest roads and are difficult st best for me to get out of.

Mustang's are out because, although the GT Premium i drove was nice, it wasnt composed enough for my liking. I didn't feel confident enough that i could push it through the twisties.
Old 11-02-18 | 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Corvettes are pretty much out as they ride like **** on all but the smoothest roads and are difficult st best for me to get out of.

Mustang's are out because, although the GT Premium i drove was nice, it wasnt composed enough for my liking. I didn't feel confident enough that i could push it through the twisties.
How about the Challenger? It doesn't ride as stiff as a 'Vette (though, granted, it's no luxury car), and its height and length should make it easier to get in and out of than either a 'Vette or Mustang. You have lots of experience already at Dodge/Ram dealerships, so you know how to deal with them.
Old 11-02-18 | 01:17 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Im not on a tight budget as far as repairs and maintenance. I can do 95% of it myself.

I'm after the driving experience. Dont care about the badge.

Not trying to sell you on a Vette, but a C7 with mag ride has decent ride quality for a sports car. Ride quality on those is similar to some 911 models imo.
Old 11-02-18 | 02:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How about the Challenger? It doesn't ride as stiff as a 'Vette (though, granted, it's no luxury car), and its height and length should make it easier to get in and out of than either a 'Vette or Mustang. You have lots of experience already at Dodge/Ram dealerships, so you know how to deal with them.
Can't get a convertible or targa top.
Originally Posted by TXgearhead

Not trying to sell you on a Vette, but a C7 with mag ride has decent ride quality for a sports car. Ride quality on those is similar to some 911 models imo.
I drove a C7, and while they rode better, they are worse to get out of than the C6.

Today I drove these:

07 911 996 Targa 4

06 911 996 C4 AWD

09 911 Carerra S

2013 Infinity G37

2013 Maserati Gran Turismo

2006 Lexus SC430

2005 Lexus SC430

The Porsche's were pretty cool. Both the red one and the orange one, I really took a liking to. The handling and overall feel was incredible. Definitely at the top of the list.

The G37 was a let down. The build quality was just not there. The ride was not very good and the car felt very inconsistent in the turns. Sometimes if felt planted and other times it felt loose.

Maserati-Well, what can I say? Beautiful car, as they usually are. And stupid fast. But CEL came on while I was test driving it. 'Nuff said.

SC430's- The white one was phenomemal to drive. Although it was an automatic, it was smooth and fast enough that I could tick the "fun" box if I wanted to. Probably 3rd on my list, behind the 911 and the F-type. With the top up, this one was a much quieter ride than the others, and with the top down and the windows up, the ride was very pleasant.
Old 11-02-18 | 03:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Can't get a convertible or targa top.

I drove a C7, and while they rode better, they are worse to get out of than the C6.

Today I drove these:

07 911 996 Targa 4

06 911 996 C4 AWD

09 911 Carerra S

2013 Infinity G37

2013 Maserati Gran Turismo

2006 Lexus SC430

2005 Lexus SC430

The Porsche's were pretty cool. Both the red one and the orange one, I really took a liking to. The handling and overall feel was incredible. Definitely at the top of the list.

The G37 was a let down. The build quality was just not there. The ride was not very good and the car felt very inconsistent in the turns. Sometimes if felt planted and other times it felt loose.

Maserati-Well, what can I say? Beautiful car, as they usually are. And stupid fast. But CEL came on while I was test driving it. 'Nuff said.

SC430's- The white one was phenomemal to drive. Although it was an automatic, it was smooth and fast enough that I could tick the "fun" box if I wanted to. Probably 3rd on my list, behind the 911 and the F-type. With the top up, this one was a much quieter ride than the others, and with the top down and the windows up, the ride was very pleasant.
G37 convertibles weigh over 400lbs more then the coupes which makes them feel pretty sluggish and hurts handling.

Once you drive a 911 I figured you would would warm up to them, they drive and feel nice buying used is the best way to go with 911's, they are so overpriced new and I do feel priced too high for what you get.

Those Maserati coupes and convertibles are nice but reliability issues scare me. I took a nice drive in the mountains/hills last week and saw a newish Maserati Levante CUV being flat bedded from a nice house. Just said, yep, that's the Maserati/Italian car experience and it hasn't changed.

Quick Reply: Ok y'all, help me choose a sports car.