Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ok y'all, help me choose a sports car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18 | 05:19 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

a G37 does not deserve to be on that list with those other cars lol, it's really nothing too special. engine is fun but like you said the rest of it hardly exudes quality.

oh here's one i totally forgot about, the Chevy SS! 6.2 liter V8 from a corvette, 6-speed manual, rwd, active exhaust, leather heated / ventilated seats, and magnetic ride control so it doesn't ride super harsh.

i still say 997 turbo or maybe an E92 M3 with that lovely V8!
Old 11-02-18 | 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
oh here's one i totally forgot about, the Chevy SS! 6.2 liter V8 from a corvette, 6-speed manual, rwd, active exhaust, leather heated / ventilated seats, and magnetic ride control so it doesn't ride super harsh.
I've already recommended the similar Challenger RT / SRT. No dice......he wants a convertible.
Old 11-02-18 | 06:11 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Yeah guys, as underappreciated as the Chevy SS is, It's not for me. And the Challenger SRT or Hellcat is probably the only other Mopar product I would own besides a Ram or a Viper. There are no viper's for sale in my area so that's out of there. Challengers are really fast in a straight line, but not really the type of car I am looking for.
Old 11-03-18 | 10:37 AM
oldcajun
Racer

I'm surprised that your response to the Mustang was so negative regarding its handling. My take on it was that it went and cornered like a much more expensive car but the interior and ride left a bit to be desired. It was still amazing for the price. The best driving car I have tried lately is the new Camaro. The one I drove was a 4 cyl so it was not blazing fast, but the handling was really crisp and the ride OK. The convertible overcomes the claustrophobic feeling of the Camaro coupe (except when the top is up).
Old 11-03-18 | 11:38 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by UDel

Those Maserati coupes and convertibles are nice but reliability issues scare me. I took a nice drive in the mountains/hills last week and saw a newish Maserati Levante CUV being flat bedded from a nice house. Just said, yep, that's the Maserati/Italian car experience and it hasn't changed.
Shallow view point. Just because a car is on a flat bed, it doesn’t mean there is a mechanical issue. Most new cars do not have spare tires. Over the years, I’ve had a 911, FType and GranTurismo towed from my house due to flat tires. For some reason, road side assistance does not approve tire plugs for these vehicles so they have to be towed to the dealership.
Old 11-03-18 | 12:30 PM
swajames
Pole Position

The 2009 Carrera S you drove looks like a nice car if you can settle on a number you're happy with and the history is good. First year of the 997.2 so newer 9A1 engine without an IMS. The poster above correctly highlighted possible IMS issues with M96/M97 but they were far more prevalent with older cars and were less prevalent with the later cars. I sold my 997 to get the F Type but I personally wouldn't be unduly concerned about owing say an 08 even though it has the M97. With that said, if you can get a 997.2 (2009 on, until the 991 debuted) they are a better choice (997.1 to .2 was a pretty big jump) although some say the 997.1 had more responsive steering (hydraulic vs electric assist).

Still hoping you drive an F Type!
Old 11-03-18 | 03:01 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kwr

Shallow view point. Just because a car is on a flat bed, it doesn’t mean there is a mechanical issue. Most new cars do not have spare tires. Over the years, I’ve had a 911, FType and GranTurismo towed from my house due to flat tires. For some reason, road side assistance does not approve tire plugs for these vehicles so they have to be towed to the dealership.
If it says Maserati anywhere on the vehicle maintenance will be high & reliability will be low as well as resale value. Tire plugs void the speed rating of a high performance vehicles tires.
Old 11-03-18 | 03:06 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Yeah guys, as underappreciated as the Chevy SS is, It's not for me. And the Challenger SRT or Hellcat is probably the only other Mopar product I would own besides a Ram or a Viper. There are no viper's for sale in my area so that's out of there. Challengers are really fast in a straight line, but not really the type of car I am looking for.
2003 & older Vipers are some of the most uncomfortable cars ever sold in USA. C5 Corvettes are very comfortable.
Old 11-03-18 | 03:09 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
The 2009 Carrera S you drove looks like a nice car if you can settle on a number you're happy with and the history is good. First year of the 997.2 so newer 9A1 engine without an IMS. The poster above correctly highlighted possible IMS issues with M96/M97 but they were far more prevalent with older cars and were less prevalent with the later cars. I sold my 997 to get the F Type but I personally wouldn't be unduly concerned about owing say an 08 even though it has the M97. With that said, if you can get a 997.2 (2009 on, until the 991 debuted) they are a better choice (997.1 to .2 was a pretty big jump) although some say the 997.1 had more responsive steering (hydraulic vs electric assist).

Still hoping you drive an F Type!
The hydraulic steering is great, electric is very bad for feel & feedback.
Old 11-03-18 | 05:54 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
2003 & older Vipers are some of the most uncomfortable cars ever sold in USA. C5 Corvettes are very comfortable.
yeah but I wouldnt care. Those have been my dream car since the came out lol
Old 11-04-18 | 10:31 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

yeah but I wouldnt care. Those have been my dream car since the came out lol
Classic blue on white strip 1996 model. Can’t go wrong with that color combo.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1B3ER69E5TV200085
Old 11-04-18 | 04:24 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Need an RT/10. I physically can not get into the GTS coupe. I have tried a couple of times. I dont bend that way lol.
Old 11-04-18 | 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Need an RT/10. I physically can not get into the GTS coupe. I have tried a couple of times. I dont bend that way lol.

I'd say avoid the early Vipers....especially if you have trouble getting in and out of something that low-slung. The 800-degree exhaust pipes run right along the sides of the lower body....and can do a number on your legs if you were not very careful, particularly if driving with shorts (or if the Army didn't give you any fire-resistant pants LOL) . Plus, like with some of the old British two-seater sports cars, the side-curtains (instead of glass windows) made driving in wet weather a joke....not to mention poor traction from the almost-racing tires in the wet, though I assume you won't be driving it much in the rain. Later models, of course, eliminated at least some of those problems.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-04-18 | 06:56 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Any sports car I buy will never see bad weather. I have 2 other cars and a Ram pickup for that. If I got a viper I would probably never mess with the top. just leave it off and park in the garage. If the weather is bad, take the truck, lexus or honda.
Old 11-04-18 | 08:06 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd say avoid the early Vipers....especially if you have trouble getting in and out of something that low-slung. The 800-degree exhaust pipes run right along the sides of the lower body....and can do a number on your legs if you were not very careful, particularly if driving with shorts (or if the Army didn't give you any fire-resistant pants LOL) . Plus, like with some of the old British two-seater sports cars, the side-curtains (instead of glass windows) made driving in wet weather a joke....not to mention poor traction from the almost-racing tires in the wet, though I assume you won't be driving it much in the rain. Later models, of course, eliminated at least some of those problems.
As much as I love the RT-10, I agree with you.

Quick Reply: Ok y'all, help me choose a sports car.