Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will the new RAV-4 be released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up When will the new RAV-4 be released?

Does anybody in Car Chat know the official release date for the new 2019 Toyota RAV-4? Toyota's Customer Service, like that of most automakers, is almost worthless for official information like release-dates.....the marketers keep them in the dark almost as much as they do us, the general public. Yes, you can sign up for what the manufacturers call "Updates"...but they are as much (if not more) PR than useful information. Also, although this doesn't happen very often with Toyota, new-vehicle-introductions are sometimes delayed because of engineering/quality-control or factory problems, labor problems, or problems with the shipping/railroad/trucking companies that bring the new vehicles to the dealership. The company's PR line, as of now, for the regular models, is "Winter 2018"....on or about December, with the Hybrids coming a little later. And, of course, new vehicles are sometimes released in California before they spread to other states.

To be honest, for several reasons, I have not been that impressed with a number of new Toyota or Lexus models for some years now.....but this new RAV-4 seems to be a major exception. Even without (yet) seeing it in person, close-up, I like very much what I see on paper and in images....although one cannot usually determine the quality of the interior materials, trim, sheet metal, paint job, seating comfort, or a number of other things without a close-up inspection and test-drive. The body-styling seems to be better-suited for rear visibility than the current one, and the front-end, IMO, less goofy-looking (the current front end, IMO, looks like a Bulldog). The interior, dash, and control layout seems simple and to the point....and I like the orange-stripe interior accent on some versions. I don't often make official predictions on sales in advance....but, in this case, I feel pretty confident, already, that sales are going to be excellent with this new model, perhaps even phenomenal.

It will definitely be on my review list.....top priority, ASAP. I've not only got review-requests here from CL members, but a colleague of mine, from my church, is waiting for the new model...he's got an old 1999 RAV-4 (remember those old three-spoke wheels on the 1Gen model?), that, while not in the junkyard yet, has definitely seen better days. Like me, he is taken in by the photo-ops and images, and I think he is waiting to test-drive one himself. He doesn't have a whole lot of money to spend, but, if the projected pricing is accurate, I think he may be able to swing a base model, without a whole lot of options, on a long 6-7 year loan (he tends to keep his vehicles a long time).

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-03-18 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Should be soon. I think there is a legal requirement in how they release it, so in which way it can be called a 2019 or 2020 model. My assumption is that it will be released end of November. Usually Toyota’s new model stay in their first model destination for longer than the follow years.

You up have to also realize that the RAV4 is Toyota’s #1 model and it’s a big, big, big deal how it is released. So they way they launch it is done in a specific way.

It is also possible it was delayed for whatever reasons. Maybe something to do with NAFTA reworking.
Old 11-03-18, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Should be soon. I think there is a legal requirement in how they release it, so in which way it can be called a 2019 or 2020 model. My assumption is that it will be released end of November. Usually Toyota’s new model stay in their first model destination for longer than the follow years.

You up have to also realize that the RAV4 is Toyota’s #1 model and it’s a big, big, big deal how it is released. So they way they launch it is done in a specific way.

It is also possible it was delayed for whatever reasons. Maybe something to do with NAFTA reworking.

Thanks. Yes, I realize it's Toyota's Top Dog in American-market sales, but, at least on paper, I think this latest model is such a major improvement over the last one that it will become even more so. And it will probably deserve to be.

Come to think of it, Jill, if you and your family don't need the body-on-frame towing-capacity, off-road capability, and relatively stiff ride of your older 4Runner, maybe this will be a nice replacement.

It is also possible it was delayed for whatever reasons. Maybe something to do with NAFTA reworking
There's a RAV-4 assembly plant at Woodstock, Ontario....not very far from where you are in Toronto. I think the vehicles from that plant will be exempt from Trump's tariffs, so the price should not get out of hand. That's going to be very important for my friend.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-03-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 03:56 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Looking forward to your review on this RAV4. It looks a lot better than current model imo I think it will sell well once released.
Old 11-03-18, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nah. Not looking for any new vehicles for a very long time. If I am sure it would be vastly superior to my current 4Runner.
Old 11-03-18, 05:24 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

It was already stated in April at press introduction, it will be released in December 2018 and Q1 2019 for hybrid.
Old 11-03-18, 05:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
It was already stated in April at press introduction, it will be released in December 2018 and Q1 2019 for hybrid.
Thanks. Seems like people are impatient.
Old 11-03-18, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Thanks. Seems like people are impatient.

Given the sales figures, that will probably include a lot of people LOL.
Old 11-03-18, 06:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Given the sales figures, that will probably include a lot of people LOL.
Honeslty, I am not really thrilled with the new design. It’s ok. Not really for me. I would have to see it in person to be sure. I do like the Lexus UX design, but the price seems to be a little high imo.
Old 11-03-18, 06:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Love those 'saddle accents'. The cabin looks more open than the narrower NX cousin. Typical standard amenities look good. Overall a nice package, can't wait to see it in person. Also liking those open cubby areas on the dash. Gosh that shifter **** looks far more premium than what is going into the UX
Old 11-03-18, 06:47 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Toyota has always been close to the vest releasing dates on new models. My take is maybe to protect dealers from canalizing sales on the existing model.

I like what I see of this new gen. model compared to the last and even the NX I had. A hybrid is on my short list.
Old 11-04-18, 04:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Love those 'saddle accents'. The cabin looks more open than the narrower NX cousin. Typical standard amenities look good. Overall a nice package, can't wait to see it in person. Also liking those open cubby areas on the dash. Gosh that shifter **** looks far more premium than what is going into the UX
there is no doubt that new Rav4 is leaps and bounds over uninspiring old model... but there is also no way it is close to interior quality of UX.

I would seriously consider new Rav4 Hybrid, where previously there was no chance I would get that box on wheels Rav4.4.

Also, in many things it is going to be much better bang for the buck than NX, even though there will be gulf in engine power... but at the same time it will only happen in 2019, and only with top end Rav4 models that will cost $35k, and then in late 2020, new NX will make us wonder why Rav4 exists.
Old 11-04-18, 04:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

It looks designed specifically to slow Subaru's continued sales rise.

it looks 'rugged' and 'tough' but meaningless unless you consider the costco parking lot a tough environment.

the imterior looks nice except for the bolt on screen that looks absolutely terrible.

but it will sell in big number to the proles...

Old 11-04-18, 09:14 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

There are couple of first drives on you tube. This one says they cannot say anything about the specs or price. At 21 secs on the video there is a card hung from the mirror that says the "Embargo" on the 2019 Rav4 lifts on November 20 at 7am (specs, driving impressions mpg and pricing.) I'm not sure what an Embargo is other than the press can announce the specs? Not sure if it relates to the actual release or not.

Old 11-04-18, 09:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm not sure what an Embargo is other than the press can announce the specs? Not sure if it relates to the actual release or not.
An embargo means that you cannot reveal certain information about a specific product until an agreed upon day and date. This is all done intentionally because so many factors are involved with a new product launch. These early reviews and press gatherings are all invite only and all paid for by the manufacturer. Some will say they do not agree with embargo's, but they forget that a manufacturer has gone through so much to launch a vehicle (or product), that it is only fair for every party (press, customer or manufacturer) that it is done a specific way.

Quick Reply: When will the new RAV-4 be released?