Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to Trim LineUp

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 06:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
You are just full of positive thoughts. How do you know that?

Becuase recessions always come and go. They are a necessary part of economic growth and expansion.
Old 11-08-18, 06:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
You can't keep what you can't sell. A 100K coupe is already a tough sell for any auto company, a LC-F is fun times for various auto reviewers at fancy locales but the regular Joe and Jane will look at that LC/LC-F with a passing interest. They're not going to head over to a Camry or ES because they saw the LC in the showroom. The numbers don't lie and Toyota is a numbers spec company. In the US, and big dollar prestige markets maybe you keep LC and RC.
Toyota will keep investing in halo cars like LC or Supra, however they wont keep Yaris Hatch or Prius c in the USA if it makes no sense... bot cars are nearing end of life, next year replacements are coming.

I am not sure what exactly your point about LC-F is, but it is coming in few months. Just like Camry and Avalon TRD, or Prius AWD model, Yaris, CH-R GRMN, etc, etc.

Since they just announced most profitable Q1 in the history of the company, they just might know what they are doing, right?
Old 11-08-18, 06:33 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Don't know what you don't understand. Expensive-to-manufacture low volume cars don't make money. The halo effect has limited benefits. Toyota/Lexus is aware of this and the bulk of their profits come from high volume mass market on the Toyota side and entry level luxury products on the Lexus side.
Old 11-08-18, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota will keep investing in halo cars like LC or Supra, however they wont keep Yaris Hatch or Prius c in the USA if it makes no sense... bot cars are nearing end of life, next year replacements are coming.
Why would you think a new Yaris would not return? It’s from a global platform. And who would of thought the Corolla hatch would return to the United States.
Old 11-08-18, 06:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
^^^ Don't know what you don't understand. Expensive-to-manufacture low volume cars don't make money. The halo effect has limited benefits. Toyota/Lexus is aware of this and the bulk of their profits come from high volume mass market on the Toyota side and entry level luxury products on the Lexus side.
I don’t know if what you say is true. Small cars by Toyota are global platforms. Why would Toyota return Corolla hatch to the US? Made in Japan too.
Old 11-08-18, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why would you think a new Yaris would not return? It’s from a global platform. And who would of thought the Corolla hatch would return to the United States.
I'm not saying that a new Yaris would not return (that's to Toyota), but I mentioned, in an earlier post, that, for the same Yaris price, I thought a lower-priced, decontented Corolla would make more sense, and perhaps appeal to more people. The Yaris is too much of a toy....the Corolla, even with minimal frills, is more comfortable, has more space inside, rides better, and, IMO, is just all-around more pleasant to drive.
Old 11-09-18, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Will be goners, I'm sure but not verified:
Yaris
GS
Prius C
LC or LX (most likely LX will be replaced by LF1 or whatevers)

Possible axing
RC - Most likely not. It just needs to lose weight and more power. I dont see Lexus giving up after 1 generation.
GT86 - Most likely not. It just needs more power. Serves as a jumping point to the Supra
Old 11-09-18, 08:43 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Toyota already has developed a brand new V6. The twin-turbocharged V6 in the LS is a brand new Dynamic Force (V35A) V6, not just a turbocharged GR V6.
I know, but it obviously sit in a higher performance category than the outdoing 2GR. There are rumblings that a 2.5-liter turbo engine will be an up-level engine option on cars like a future IS.

Which would be disappointing.
Old 11-09-18, 09:22 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I know, but it obviously sit in a higher performance category than the outdoing 2GR. There are rumblings that a 2.5-liter turbo engine will be an up-level engine option on cars like a future IS.

Which would be disappointing.
But the point is that Toyota does have a new V6 engine platform, regardless of the fact that the first example of that new platform is a turbocharged engine. Toyota has a new V6 so now we wait to see what may come of it. Toyota could remove the turbocharger and/or could increase or decrease the displacement. No one knows.
Old 11-09-18, 09:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Wasn’t a 2nd gen 86 confirmed???
Now they are discontinuing it lol - typical Toyota all about making every last dollar.

As it is they have no so called niche cars.
Only 3 coupes - 86, RC and LC.
No Convertibles

They dont have anything really exciting coming.
Supra is around the corner but Z4 reviews have been MEH and no Manual - this car will not sell in huge #s.
LCF with TT V8 - this will be very overpriced. M8 will have more power / performance and much more roomy for about same price - guess which one people will buy?

I was walking past a used car place that had 2008 GX for sale out front. its hard to understand that the 2018 GX is the same exact SUV. How is this even possible....
Old 11-09-18, 10:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Wasn’t a 2nd gen 86 confirmed???

Pretty much.
Well, here’s the latest: the new cars, slated to arrive in 2021, will use a bigger-displacement 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine to replace the 2.0-liter boxer four that’s good for 200 or 205 horsepower and 151 or 156 lb-ft in the current Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86, according to a report in the Japan Times.
Source

Now they are discontinuing it lol - typical Toyota all about making every last dollar.
No, no confirmation of it being discontinued.
Old 11-09-18, 11:36 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I was walking past a used car place that had 2008 GX for sale out front. its hard to understand that the 2018 GX is the same exact SUV. How is this even possible....
The GX still drives and rides nicely and very refined. All it needed was an updated infotainment and perhaps the 5.7L as an option but for some reason, the lower volume LX got an updated interior. Weird.
Old 11-09-18, 11:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The GX still drives and rides nicely and very refined. All it needed was an updated infotainment and perhaps the 5.7L as an option but for some reason, the lower volume LX got an updated interior. Weird.
Coworker of mine just bought a 2009 GX. There is a difference between that one and the "latest" GX. However, even then, the current GX does look pretty dated. The interior especially.

However with the latest one, the interior definitely did get a few changes, notably, a higher center-console area instead of the space below the nav/radio controls.
Old 11-10-18, 03:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

just curious, what did they want for the '08 gx? i'm sure the gx holds its value well but of course lexus makes nothing on resales.
the current gx, like the 4runner, still sells pretty well because there's a niche that doesn't care about up to date tech, decent fuel economy, or even a stylish design.
Old 11-10-18, 08:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

And the 2008 GX and the 2018 GX are not the same vehicle. The 2008 GX is the previous generation:

The current GX was an all new vehicle in 2010:

Currently in its refresh form:

Quick Reply: Toyota to Trim LineUp