Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 07:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
got to have dealers before you can sell cars...
It looks like the dealer situation is improving and taking shape, around me. There are 10 Genesis dealers listed for the Chicago metro area and they are in areas that have other luxury brand dealers. Still not much in the way of inventory but with dealers in place that should be improving before too long.
Old 12-01-18, 02:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

BMW still offers a 12 cylinder for the 7 series, Rolls, Bentley, and Aston Martin still offer them for their sedans.
Old 12-02-18, 07:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

This is what the new LS500 should have looked like.

Great job by Genesis!
Old 12-02-18, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I'm coming around on the refresh, still don't care for the way the grill comes down in a point, but they seem to have addressed some of the criticisms of the pre refresh car. Touch points are better, interior has open pore wood options and better stitiching, looks overall like a more "special" place to be.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

It has those passenger seat controls on the driver side for the driver. Something the new LS500 dropped
They're controlled by the driver side controls after pushing a button to control the passenger seat in the LS500. Same Way they're controlled on the S Class. Actually a better setup.

Originally Posted by highrev6
Everybody wants a piece of the S-class market. But frankly no one who owns a S-class or who is seriously considering purchasing one is really going to be bothered with looking at a G90. This car is targeted towards the second place large luxury segment cars like A8 and 7 series also the LS500. People who buy S-classes are going for the nameplate and prestige of saying they own a Mercedes-Benz S-class. The S-class is the segment leader in sales and will continue to lead especially with a redesign right around the corner in about 15 more months. Also the average S-class buyer is estimated to pull in well over $350,000 a year, they are very particular about brand prestige, not really looking for a bargain.

The Genesis G90 is a very nice car in my opinion, but very nice doesn’t cut it when your competing for a piece of the S-classes sales. Your car has to be the best and your brand needs lineage two things the Genesis brand doesn’t have.
Agreed. The consumer they're going after is a consumer like me. Somebody who is attracted to the features, quality, and stance of the S Class but who is unwilling to pay what it takes to cross that barrier.

S Class owners aren't going to go down to this, but might people get one on their way to an S Class? Perhaps.

Old 12-02-18, 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The consumer they're going after is a consumer like me. Somebody who is attracted to the features, quality, and stance of the S Class but who is unwilling to pay what it takes to cross that barrier.
Me too, i'd love an s class but wasn't comfortable forking over that amount.
Old 12-02-18, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Me too, i'd love an s class but wasn't comfortable forking over that amount.
Same, optioned well they're $115k+, $1,600 lease payments... just too much money for me to spend without feeling bad about it.
Old 12-02-18, 10:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

$1,600 lease payments... just too much money for me to spend without feeling bad about it.
My (rough) guess is that you are getting both an LS and a Pacifica combined for around that amount....maybe even less.
Old 12-03-18, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My (rough) guess is that you are getting both an LS and a Pacifica combined for around that amount....maybe even less.
Lease on the LS is $1,150 and the Pacifica is $530, so a little more.
Old 12-03-18, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lease on the LS is $1,150 and the Pacifica is $530, so a little more.
OK.....I was pretty close LOL.

(1680)

I'm sure it's worth it......you can't measure everything in life by money.
Old 12-03-18, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Worth it to me, and I'm sure the people who have S Classes, their cost is worth it to them.
Old 12-04-18, 03:15 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by highrev6
Everybody wants a piece of the S-class market. But frankly no one who owns a S-class or who is seriously considering purchasing one is really going to be bothered with looking at a G90. This car is targeted towards the second place large luxury segment cars like A8 and 7 series also the LS500. People who buy S-classes are going for the nameplate and prestige of saying they own a Mercedes-Benz S-class. The S-class is the segment leader in sales and will continue to lead especially with a redesign right around the corner in about 15 more months. Also the average S-class buyer is estimated to pull in well over $350,000 a year, they are very particular about brand prestige, not really looking for a bargain.

The Genesis G90 is a very nice car in my opinion, but very nice doesn’t cut it when your competing for a piece of the S-classes sales. Your car has to be the best and your brand needs lineage two things the Genesis brand doesn’t have.
If Genesis gets a Kartrashian to drive a G90, then they might see sales increase. The G-Wagen can surely attribute its sales numbers to them!
Old 12-04-18, 04:35 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
If Genesis gets a Kartrashian to drive a G90, then they might see sales increase. The G-Wagen can surely attribute its sales numbers to them!

Not to break away from the subject too much, but I don’t think having any of the Kardashian’s girls do a commercial or making them the face of the brand would help Genesis meets it’s sales quota. Although the girls are internationally known brand influencers and they happen to drive G63 AMG’s amongst other exotic branded luxury cars. Their primary audience is teenage girls and young ladies in the millennial bracket is their more mature audience. I don’t think any of these aforementioned demographics are in the the market for large luxo barges that their grandfathers drive. I think the Kardashian girls would better suited sticking to selling their makeup, hair extensions and big lip kits.
Old 02-20-19, 07:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This new G90 looks good. They had one at tonight’s Auto Show. I love the wheels where you cannot see the brakes. Front end looks good and goofy at the same time, makes it kinda interesting. Inside, it was interesting to see the new model go to a touch screen (Take that Lexus). And the leather seems to be upgraded as well. Rear end looks ok. Thumbs up 👍
Old 02-20-19, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This new G90 looks good. They had one at tonight’s Auto Show. I love the wheels where you cannot see the brakes. Front end looks good and goofy at the same time, makes it kinda interesting. Inside, it was interesting to see the new model go to a touch screen (Take that Lexus). And the leather seems to be upgraded as well. Rear end looks ok. Thumbs up ��
Thanks for reminding us. I had forgotten that the Toronto Auto Show was this week.

Did you get a chance to sit inside a G70? You mentioned recently that you saw one, close-up, at a mall, but I don't remember if you had a chance to get inside.
Old 02-20-19, 07:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for reminding us. I had forgotten that the Toronto Auto Show was this week.

Did you get a chance to sit inside a G70? You mentioned recently that you saw one, close-up, at a mall, but I don't remember if you had a chance to get inside.
Sat in G70 many times. Was not interested today.

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face