Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This new G90 looks good. They had one at tonight’s Auto Show. I love the wheels where you cannot see the brakes. Front end looks good and goofy at the same time, makes it kinda interesting. Inside, it was interesting to see the new model go to a touch screen (Take that Lexus). And the leather seems to be upgraded as well. Rear end looks ok. Thumbs up 👍
Old 02-20-19, 09:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure why you would not believe me that the 2020 G90 was at the show. But here:

They changed the auto buttons. But kept the dedicated AC button 😹
Old 06-16-19, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

love the turn signals.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-16-19 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

This guy has a blast driving the V8...

For some reason he did another review before too

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-16-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 11:10 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I love this new bold design.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
at the 0:07 sec., if I had a driver and he parked that far for me to walk, he would be fired
Old 06-17-19, 03:50 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It's brilliant, is Lexus watching, Acura/ Infiniti had all the time in the world and couldn't deliver anything this spectacular. Give it time, as Genesis adds more cars to their lineup and fix the network issue they have the potential to give Lexus serious competition.
Old 06-17-19, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I really don't care for this refresh at all...
Old 06-18-19, 03:59 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I dislike the wheels but appreciate the interior upgrades (i.e. CarPlay now available!)
Old 06-18-19, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Coming from a current g90 the biggest improvements for me are AA/AC, screen is now touch, active noise cancelation (you can never have too little noise imo ), color info display used for camera view, and OTA updates. I like the exterior changes overall, although the grille is too big imo.
Old 08-30-19, 04:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

So here is something you do not see very often, the Canadian spec G90 comes standard with the V8....(who said V8s are dead?)....the V6 is a special order option, I have never seen a brand offer it this way.

Some cool updates, AA and Car Play, touch screen (), fully covered wheel (I love that)

I saw and sat in the model at the Auto Show. The front end looks way better in person.

Source
Old 08-30-19, 07:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Article from ‘source’...

JORDAN STATION, Ont. — “An oasis on wheels.”

Without a doubt, that’s the best description I have heard to explain the Genesis G90, the company’s flagship sedan. The big (5,205 millimetres long) four-door enters the 2020 model year vastly redesigned inside and out, with a focus on hedonistic levels of comfort and convenience. So upgraded, it’s better equipped to take on its primary rivals — the Mercedes S-Class and Lexus LS — as well its competition from Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, and Tesla.

Despite the harshest critics expounding their beliefs that Hyundai’s upscale brand is out of its league, Genesis does know how to design luxury cars, including award-winning ones. And though executives acknowledge the current softness in luxury sedan sales, especially the full-size segment, they insist there is still a market for such cars, which don’t generate huge numbers here in Canada yet provide a halo effect for the entire product line.

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

Knowing the G90 has neither the brand image nor the longstanding reputation as its chief opposition, and that the car has historically had an older buyer demographic than the general segment, the upgrades emphasize the pragmatic — value, safety, quality, and the total cost of ownership.

But how ’bout that grille? Yes, taking a page out of the Audi and Lexus playbooks — not to mention BMW, as seen in the new 7 Series and X7 — Genesis designers went to town on the car’s face, starting with a significantly blingier crest-shaped grille, replete with a new cross-hatch pattern Genesis calls “G-Matrix” inspired “by light reflecting from an illuminating diamond.” Said grille is flanked by a new quad lamp styling theme that will become common on upcoming Genesis models.

There are more than a few Easter eggs to the G90’s redesign. The G-Matrix pattern is seen in all exterior lighting elements as well as the 19-inch dish-type wheels, which incorporate the mesh pattern around their outer edge. At the back, the trunk lid wing emblem disappears, replaced by the Genesis name displayed in bold type. Yet, look carefully and you’ll see the wing shape in the taillights that wrap around from corner to corner.

Style-wise, everything but the roof and doors has been reworked. Inside, open-pore wood trim, chromed switches, and hand-stitched leather complement the airy cabin. The 12.3-inch central display has been completely re-engineered and now features full touchscreen functionality with ultra-fast responses. Also, the wide screen can show multiple functions simultaneously using a handy split-screen feature. And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity are included.

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

• 2020 Genesis G90

Brian Harper, Driving

Left alone was the sedan’s already potent powertrain. As before, the G90 offers a choice of two engines: The standard spec 5.0-litre V8 pumping out 420 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque, or the special order 3.3L twin-turbocharged V6 with 365 horsepower and 376 lb.-ft. of torque. In either case, the engine is hooked up to an eight-speed automatic transmission with enhanced shift logic, as well as an active all-wheel drive system with an electronically controlled transfer case that’s capable of varying the front-to-rear torque split on demand or in response to driving conditions.

We spent the day in the V8 model, exploring the back roads of Ontario’s Niagara Escarpment on our way to wine country. But first, we had to escape the noise and hustle — and the road construction — of downtown Toronto. The drive out of the city was completely stress-free, for me at least, the G90’s cabin sealed off from the din and distraction thanks to the car’s active noise cancellation using audio technology to reduce unwanted noise intrusion.

Besides, while my co-driver was at the wheel, I was lounging in the back seat, stretched out and playing with all the adjustments — 14 ways for the outboard right seat, 12 ways for the left. Power slide linked with recline, shoulder adjusters, rear lumbar support, four-way head restraints, a rear integrated memory system with controls located on the rear doors, heat and ventilation — who needs a rear entertainment system? — seating design is clearly a priority for Genesis. All of the seats were developed, especially the electronically controlled, 22-way power driver’s seat with power bolsters, cushion extension and shoulder adjustment, for approval by Aktion Gesunder Rücken (AGR), the German campaign for healthier backs.

Switching places, I got to sample the effortless power of the naturally aspirated V8, with more than enough muscle to overcome the car’s stout 2,250-kilogram weight, and the unruffled nature of the G90’s adaptive control suspension. First, however, I had to try out the car’s Smart Posture Care, a system that “recommends” and sets the driver’s seat to what it determines to be the most ergonomically correct position based on the driver’s height, weight and length of inseam. Pushing a button on the door and then putting in the parameters displayed on the touchscreen for my six-foot-two frame, it adjusted the seat rearward — to the point where my arms were straight out to get to the steering wheel. My co-driver, several inches shorter and a few pounds heavier, also found his seat position to be unnatural. Clearly, there’s some fine-tuning to do here.

RELATED

Want a 2020 Lexus LS 500? Take a look down memory lane

Want a Genesis G70? It’s got some stiff competition
Even with the drive mode set to Sport for the curvy stretches of road up and down the Escarpment — there’s also Eco, Comfort and Custom — the G90 is skewed to a milder motoring experience. On the highway and in Eco mode, the car can coast for as long as 1.2 kilometres by disengaging the transmission from the engine, thereby improving fuel economy. Personally, I liked Sport the best, for it increased the weight of the steering and provided a little more road feel. Still, the sedan’s mission is best seen as a long-distance deluxe cruiser.

Genesis is taking the slow and steady approach to building a solid reputation in the marketplace. And when the two new crossovers it has in the works arrive next year, sales will assuredly take an upturn. In the meantime, the new G90 will continue to serve as a reminder that it’s not just Europe, Detroit, and Japan that knows how to build a posh set of wheels.

The 2020 G90 comes fully loaded. One trim is available, with an $89,750 price tag, including destination and delivery fees, as well as the Genesis at Home concierge service, complimentary scheduled maintenance, Genesis Connected Services, map updates and more. Special ordering the twin-turbo V6 drops the price by $3,000.
Old 08-30-19, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Seriously drooling over this. Only thing i wish they’d done on this big refresh is make the main gauges a big lcd display like on other high end luxury cars and even their own sibling kia 900.

the 3.3tt v6 in this and my g90 is an excellent, powerful engine. I didn’t drive the v8 version, but i think i’d be smitten with it if i did, but that’s even more money that what i got so probably not going to happen.

yes, definitely interesting that in canada, the v8 is the ‘main’ model and the ttv6 is a special order.

mind you, the volume’s so tiny in canada for this niche brand in a small population that sounds like genesis wants to maximize revenue by putting the v8 first.
Old 08-30-19, 11:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Bizarre styling, and that's putting it mildly. The Acura penta-whatever grille is a big departure, but at least there is no Sonata fish mouth. The headlights, at least in pictures, looks like they are drawn onto the body (interesting). Still not a fan of the Crown Victoria dashboard. There's so much more that can be done in there, as well as with the gauges.
So who wants to clean those rims? Yikes!
Old 08-31-19, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Bizarre styling, and that's putting it mildly. The Acura penta-whatever grille is a big departure, but at least there is no Sonata fish mouth.
It’s not that dramatic, pointed bottom now and mesh style vs. lines.

The headlights, at least in pictures, looks like they are drawn onto the body (interesting).
not sure what that means. The center wraparound trim piece extends into the fender. Actually i guess that’s the DRL.

Still not a fan of the Crown Victoria dashboard. There's so much more that can be done in there, as well as with the gauges.
well the s-class has the gigantic ‘stick in front’ flat double 12.3” screens which is very capable but not exactly elegant and other cars have center screen that’s bolted on top which i also don’t find elegant, so what do you think is a better solution? I love the panamera and new taycan setups but those are sunken screens like this although the taycan has the secondary screen lower too.

So who wants to clean those rims? Yikes!
Haha, that’s what a pressure washer is for.

overall though, while many body panels were changed, it’s still the same car underneath and the interior has very little change - the biggest being a touch screen now and simplified upper row or buttons, but other than that, the same as mine.

i am curious to see how well the active noise cancellation works as i’m a fan of silence except for the spectacular lexicon audio system!
Old 08-31-19, 09:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,687 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I am actually a huge fan of the styling. If you're going to make a luxury cruiser, it should look like one! That's why I think the wheel design works for me. Yeah I wouldn't want to clean them, though.

BTW, somewhat dry video, but does go somewhat in-depth about the car:

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face