Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 05:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is very odd because the 2020 Genesis G90 was announced in Feb 2019. Pics, specs and everything. Perhaps at the L.A. Show, a new engine or something might be revealed.
Globally maybe, that was probably when it started shipping in S. Korea.

Anyway this says LA Show is the US debut and they may show the midsize gv80 SUV too.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...9-la-auto-show
Old 12-13-19, 03:21 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Good write-up from Car & Driver on the new 2020 G90.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...sis-g90-drive/

More serene, NVH that claim to match/beat the S-Class/LS variants.
Old 12-13-19, 04:16 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 363 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl

I really, actually, I desperately want to like this car...but the exterior styling just prevents it from happening. How can I like a G70, love a G80, and dislike a G90 exterior styling? It is so close to being a homerun for me as an LS owner -but the odd road presence just absolutely kills it for me. IMO, the car has absolutely no presence or "stance". Perhaps I'd love it with some better wheels (think S class AMG 5 star wheels). I can't know for sure because Genesis refuses to offer a wheel design like that and I'm not a fan of after-market wheels, especially on luxury sedans. The interior is stunning, I like the size, I like the exterior styling cues for the most part. I just can't pull the trigger with those wheels. I'd rather buy a G80. And because of the fact I like luxo-land-yachts, I'd rather buy another LS over a G80, therefore bypassing the Genesis brand altogether.

FWIW, I do like how the article points out that in a world of cross-overs, the luxury sedan may be dying...but it can be the one thing that sets the tone for what the brand is capable of delivering. I agree with that across the entire segment.
Old 12-13-19, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Article from ‘source’...

Genesis does know how to design luxury cars, including award-winning ones. And though executives acknowledge the current softness in luxury sedan sales, especially the full-size segment, they insist there is still a market for such cars, which don’t generate huge numbers here in Canada yet provide a halo effect for the entire product line.

GM..........are you listening? DUH.
Old 12-13-19, 06:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Great update. love the wheels that cover the brakes. Great idea to add a touchscreen, now they have both. What a great concept? Truly incredible that the Genesis flagship has a V8 while the LS from Lexus does not. Ride is soft Crappy rear end. Interesting front. Hyundai went to GENESIS on the rear nobody knows the brand.

Great quote from the article

The problem is, the youngest person who voted for Eisenhower in 1956 is now 84 years old.

I think Hyundai would knock the automotive world off its foundation if they were to put a V12 in one of these things.

Great effort, this Genesis one-ups the Lexus LS

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-13-19, 09:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl

I really don't like some of these so called automotive "journalists". The "writer" is injecting his personal preferences, bias, and making pretentious attacks on anyone who may like or buy this car to just try to sound clever and witty. This is the same type of automotive writer that criticized buttons in cars 10 years ago over and over which likely led automakers to unleash extremely annoying touchscreens in cars making things far worse. I learned almost nothing about the car from reading it, just the writer sounds like a D bag. Does this clown really think only 84 year olds would like a very good S class competitor for 30K+ less?

Whoever makes a attractive grill for this car is going to make a lot of money.

Old 12-13-19, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
IMO, the car has absolutely no presence or "stance".
it's subjective but i think the car will have huge presence in person. yes it's a bit 'overdone' to my tastes but they got criticized on my one for being too bland... i think they're appealing to their home audience though with all the new bling.

Perhaps I'd love it with some better wheels (think S class AMG 5 star wheels). I can't know for sure because Genesis refuses to offer a wheel design like that and I'm not a fan of after-market wheels, especially on luxury sedans.
I read somewhere that in addition to the new 'woven' wheel design they will offer an alternative, perhaps like the ones on the '17-'19 g90.
Old 12-14-19, 12:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I just really think they ruined the exterior of this car, I really dislike it, especially the rear, hate the wheels...front is way overdone...a shame IMO.
Old 12-14-19, 03:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ may not be for you but there's some glowing reviews out there already...

Replacing the staid styling of the old car is a new exterior design that manages to be both bold and beautiful.
In all, the look so bold it might turn off some buyers. However, it’s cohesive and it looks good out on the street among a sea of me-too car designs. I like it and feel it could draw more buyers to the brand.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...looks-the-part

Old 12-14-19, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ may not be for you but there's some glowing reviews out there already...
Oh I've watched and read them, I seem to be in the minority. I just wonder how many of those reviewers would actually be a consumer for this sort of vehicle, and how it will actually play with buyers.
Old 12-14-19, 03:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just wonder how many of those reviewers would actually be a consumer for this sort of vehicle, and how it will actually play with buyers.
good point... as you know there's not a ton of large luxury sedan vehicle buyers of ANY kind at this point. we're in a very small group, buddy

i don't expect the 2020 g90 to sell a load in the u.s. to be sure, if they sell more than 25% more run rate i'd be surprised.
Old 12-14-19, 05:32 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

From certain angles in the pics, it seems like this is a car from the early/mid 90's. It keeps reminding me of a Buick Park Avenue and I'm not sure why.. I just know I don't want to be reminded of a Park Ave. To me it doesn't look like a car that's going to age well.

On a separate note, in some pics the rear door appears to be longer than the front door (like an LS 460L). Anyone know if that's the case? Pic 24 from the link really makes me think this. https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...lery/?slide=24
Old 12-14-19, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
From certain angles in the pics, it seems like this is a car from the early/mid 90's. It keeps reminding me of a Buick Park Avenue and I'm not sure why.. I just know I don't want to be reminded of a Park Ave. To me it doesn't look like a car that's going to age well.

On a separate note, in some pics the rear door appears to be longer than the front door (like an LS 460L). Anyone know if that's the case? Pic 24 from the link really makes me think this. https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...lery/?slide=24
It absolutely reminds me of a 90s Buick, I’m not sure why either.

Rear doors are longer yes.
Old 12-14-19, 08:24 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It absolutely reminds me of a 90s Buick, I’m not sure why either.

Rear doors are longer yes.
Glad I'm not the only one seeing a very odd similarity!!
Old 12-14-19, 08:49 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It definitely gets the job done though it isn't beautiful by any stretch.

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face