Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 09:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I saw a silver LS the other day. Then a black on beige LS500. It’s strange, I like the LS design a lot, then I question some of it (especially the remote touch part). I think the LS is a better flagship than the G90...it projects a higher image. (imo). The G90 is probably the more satisfying model, but the LS was sort of designed to be more emotional (hence) the thoughts that I like it sometimes, then not sometimes.
Well sure, the LS has more prestige and brand recognition for sure. Its going to get more attention for sure. But, the G90 is overall the better luxury package for traditional flagship design buyers.

Lexus has other models. Genesis has just 2 others at the show
I'm able to tell when something has buzz and doesn't, thanks. G90 had a lot of buzz, people sitting in it, gawking at the back seat, walking by and saying "wow this is the new Genesis" and the LS just sat there with nobody looking at it. Did not help it was an F Sport and quite plain, and a low option model.

Genesis also had two G70s there and a G80, and even the old G80 got more interest than the Lexus vehicles. Even a gorgeous red LC just sat there with no love.
Old 02-24-20, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Stopped by a Hyundai dealer today because they had a Limited model Palisade I could drive. They had several new G90s, all of which had the previous gen wheels on them. Salesperson said they swap all the wheels on their inventory and that its a zero cost swap. The refresh G90 looked much better on the jet blade style wheels.
Old 02-24-20, 04:01 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in the 4th largest metro area in the U.S. and there isn't a Genesis dealer within 35 miles of me.
Old 02-24-20, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm pretty sure they can sell them at all Hyundai dealers now
Old 02-24-20, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Not quite. Yes, Genesis dealerships are a lot more widespread now, but there are still some smaller Hyundai shops that, for whatever reason, don't carry them...Fairfax Hyundai is one example.

I suspect that it is either because they don't have enough customer-parking or facilities to cater to what Genesis management feels is necessary for customers, or that the owners just don't want to spend the money to upgrade their facilities to Genesis levels. Genesis of Chantilly and Genesis of Springfield, for example, are both impressive shops....far nicer than what the Fairfax Hyundai shop would be with a Genesis franchise.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-20 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

that's not true. Not all hyundai dealers got re-approved when they did new agreements in late 2018 / early 2019.
Old 02-24-20, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All of them around here sell them now, but all our dealers are pretty nice.

BTW the dealer I was at today had no Genesis branding at all but still had G90s
Old 02-25-20, 07:57 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Stopped by a Hyundai dealer today because they had a Limited model Palisade I could drive. They had several new G90s, all of which had the previous gen wheels on them. Salesperson said they swap all the wheels on their inventory and that its a zero cost swap. The refresh G90 looked much better on the jet blade style wheels.
Purely personal choice, but I love the new G90 rims - this means I can buy those take-offs and put them on a Es350! =)
Pretty smart that your dealership is doing that though as the rims are really subjective; no grill swap-out? hehe....
Old 02-25-20, 08:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

All of them around here sell them now, but all our dealers are pretty nice.

BTW the dealer I was at today had no Genesis branding at all but still had G90s
There is a large Hyundai/Genesis dealer not too far from me. They show 32 Genesis on hand. Two days ago I drove past the dealership and still no Genesis signs other than a sandwich board sign out in front at the curb. This is an area with Lexus, MB, Audi, Jaguar/LR/ Lincoln and Infiniti all in the same area (BMW is a few blocks up the street). You'd think they'd have some signage on the building by now..
Old 02-25-20, 09:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I will admit, seeing the Genesis cars sitting there in an unmarked dealership that had no luxury feel or trappings at all next the Elantras absolutely diminished them...
Old 02-25-20, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I will admit, seeing the Genesis cars sitting there in an unmarked dealership that had no luxury feel or trappings at all next the Elantras absolutely diminished them...
Genesis say they will come to you
Old 02-25-20, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its just not the same thing. A luxury purchase is so much about how it makes you feel. Genesis needs dealerships that can provide that experience to purchasers.
Old 02-25-20, 10:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Coming to the potential buyer is a good idea, but if someone is shopping for a luxury brand and is visiting dealers etc. the presentation is important. The Lexus dealership directly across the street from the Genesis dealer near me was just remodeled even though it was built new about 8 years ago. It's very attractive vs. the Genesis sign out near the curb. Maybe this dealership will make some improvements but I was surprised that they hadn't yet.
Old 02-25-20, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Coming to the potential buyer is a good idea, but if someone is shopping for a luxury brand and is visiting dealers etc. the presentation is important. The Lexus dealership directly across the street from the Genesis dealer near me was just remodeled even though it was built new about 8 years ago. It's very attractive vs. the Genesis sign out near the curb. Maybe this dealership will make some improvements but I was surprised that they hadn't yet.
Exactly. You wander in organically and get a feel for the brand and the cars, how they are displayed and showcased and all of that plays a part in your perception of the brand. Totally lacking with Genesis
Old 02-25-20, 04:37 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 423 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by LexBob2
There is a large Hyundai/Genesis dealer not too far from me. They show 32 Genesis on hand. Two days ago I drove past the dealership and still no Genesis signs other than a sandwich board sign out in front at the curb. This is an area with Lexus, MB, Audi, Jaguar/LR/ Lincoln and Infiniti all in the same area (BMW is a few blocks up the street). You'd think they'd have some signage on the building by now..
It’s the same way in my area. Cadillac, Jaguar, Porsche, Infiniti, Land Rover, Mercedes, Maserati, Volvo, Lincoln, BMW, Lexus, Alfa Romeo, and Volvo are all in the same area. I assume the Hyundai dealer has some Genesis but there aren’t any signs anywhere. I see a lot of G80’s but they’re never advertised or anything here. I believe they’re the only Hyundai dealer in the area too.

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face