Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Its not too late, they';ll get there.

And the dealers that can sell the G90 do have to have a differentiation, they have a certain amount of time to do the improvements. Thats why there are only select dealers, most dealers didnt opt to do the improvements to carry the car (it was optional).
Old 11-19-18, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Exactly right, but it might be too late. The current Hyundai dealers authorized to sell Genesis have no differentiation from a standard Hyundai dealer. Part of buying a luxury vehicle (for some) is the experience that comes along with the brand. Genesis is severely lacking here.
While there's nothing wrong with having stand-alone dealerships, my feeling is that the best vehicles, even in the luxury class, should sell themselves, without having to wrap themselves in high-zoot buildings or dealerships. Lincoln still manages to sell (mostly) out of Ford dealerships. The new Continental, agreed, has been a flop, but not because of the dealerships themselves, which DO manage to sell a decent number of Lincoln SUVs.
Old 11-19-18, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When you have an unestablished brand especially you need good dealers to expose the vehicles to the consumer. That’s where Genesis has gone wrong, on top of only having sedans when sedans are very weak.
Old 11-19-18, 05:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I recently was shopping the G80 and occasionally looked in on a Genesis owner forum. It sounds like the dealer network is still in disarray but hopefully improving soon as Genesis dealers are lined up, contracts signed and franchising agreements in place. G90 owners seem to be the most disappointed. Quite a few complaints with the service experience, Genesis loaner availability and concierge service. The first Genesis SUV can't come soon enough but in the meantime they really need to get things up and running as soon as possible.

Last edited by LexBob2; 11-19-18 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 05:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While there's nothing wrong with having stand-alone dealerships, my feeling is that the best vehicles, even in the luxury class, should sell themselves, without having to wrap themselves in high-zoot buildings or dealerships. Lincoln still manages to sell (mostly) out of Ford dealerships. The new Continental, agreed, has been a flop, but not because of the dealerships themselves, which DO manage to sell a decent number of Lincoln SUVs.
A good product should be able to sell itself, IF the prospective buyers know about the product. To get buyers to know the product, you have to show it. Selling a new luxury brand of car while hidden in and amongst cheap Elantras may not work.
Old 11-19-18, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
A good product should be able to sell itself, IF the prospective buyers know about the product. To get buyers to know the product, you have to show it. Selling a new luxury brand of car while hidden in and amongst cheap Elantras may not work.
Yes, I get what you're saying, but just park a new G90 or G80 next to a cheap Elantra or Accent, and it just makes it look that much better LOL.
Old 11-19-18, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When you have an unestablished brand especially you need good dealers to expose the vehicles to the consumer. That’s where Genesis has gone wrong, on top of only having sedans when sedans are very weak.

It goes even deeper than that. Trust me (I'm not exaggerating)...a lot of people are still living in the long-ago past, in the 1990s, when the Korean automakers, for the most part, produced junk (even worse junk in the 1980s). With their minds stuck in a 20-year time-warp, they still imagine Korean vehicles today as junk, even though that has not been the case since about 2000-2005. In fact, the first sign I can remember that things were starting to improve at Hyundai was the 1997 Hyundai Tiburon sports-coupe....I though it was actually a decent competitor to the 1995 Toyota Celica ST I was driving at the time. So, even if Genesis had a whole line of stand-alone dealerships (which it doesn't yet), and SUVs, which it doesn't yet, that is still no guarantee that people will actually go look at them. You probably remember the story I told of the board-member in my condo association who asked for my car shopping-advice for her needs, and then looked at me like I was a ghost when I mentioned a couple of Kia products. She ended up buying a Honda CR-V.
Old 11-19-18, 05:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

It takes time. Lexus blast off may never be repeated by anyone. Acura did well, then stumbled, and now appears to be getting a better approach / products.

Several people lately, some I know, and some I don't have come up to me and said "what's THAT?" admiringly. I tell them a Genesis, and they usually follow up with "yeah but who makes it?" Then I say Hyundai with a smile/laugh and there's zero condescension, just amazement. My car may end up being as rare as a unicorn, but that's ok with me.
Old 11-19-18, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Several people lately, some I know, and some I don't have come up to me and said "what's THAT?" admiringly. I tell them a Genesis, and they usually follow up with "yeah but who makes it?" Then I say Hyundai with a smile/laugh and there's zero condescension, just amazement. My car may end up being as rare as a unicorn, but that's ok with me.
Sounds suspiciously like those "THAT's a BUICK?" TV commercials that irk me to no end.
Old 11-19-18, 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I get what you're saying, but just park a new G90 or G80 next to a cheap Elantra or Accent, and it just makes it look that much better LOL.
That works for the few consumers who the trappings of buying a car at this level don't appeal to. People who have owned several of them and that no longer impresses them, etc. For people who are moving into the segment, its a huge problem. The purchase of a car like this is often a capstone in someones life, its when they've achieved a certain level of success and the purchase of an expensive luxury car is part of that experience. Genesis won't move the needle until they roll out some of that flash. With Lexus they had the whole package, the excellent and well located dealers, the great service AND the great product.

The product is truly excellent, but the dealers have to come. Even if they're just Genesis sides of Hyundai dealers where they can build in some special treatment, thats better than what they have now.

Even for me, I loved the G90 but the car had the Hyundai dealers ugly badge stuck to it and their license plate surrounds, etc. Just doesn't work.

It goes even deeper than that. Trust me (I'm not exaggerating)...a lot of people are still living in the long-ago past, in the 1990s, when the Korean automakers, for the most part, produced junk (even worse junk in the 1980s). With their minds stuck in a 20-year time-warp, they still imagine Korean vehicles today as junk, even though that has not been the case since about 2000-2005. In fact, the first sign I can remember that things were starting to improve at Hyundai was the 1997 Hyundai Tiburon sports-coupe....I though it was actually a decent competitor to the 1995 Toyota Celica ST I was driving at the time. So, even if Genesis had a whole line of stand-alone dealerships (which it doesn't yet), and SUVs, which it doesn't yet, that is still no guarantee that people will actually go look at them. You probably remember the story I told of the board-member in my condo association who asked for my car shopping-advice for her needs, and then looked at me like I was a ghost when I mentioned a couple of Kia products. She ended up buying a Honda CR-V.
Largely those stigmas have gone away, or are at least greatly reduced. All you have to do is look at the number of Kias and Hyundais on the road you see that. Genesis' issue isn't Hyundai stigma, its no dealer network, no presence, no brand, no lifestyle etc.
Old 11-20-18, 07:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From the Instagram World...

Old 11-20-18, 08:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

I hope that's not accurate.
Old 11-20-18, 08:46 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

The headlights are almost Volvo-esque. I am not crazy about the rear light bar, but it's also pretty unique. Not bad if it's accurate.
Old 11-20-18, 08:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That grill is not good.
Old 11-20-18, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I hope the grill isn't accurate...

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face