Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 06:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Largely those stigmas have gone away, or are at least greatly reduced. All you have to do is look at the number of Kias and Hyundais on the road you see that. Genesis' issue isn't Hyundai stigma, its no dealer network, no presence, no brand, no lifestyle etc.
There are going to be a lot of older people who will not buy a Genesis because of the past connection to Hyundai in the 1980's and early 1990's. But these people are not the ones you want to be appealing to you, Genesis needs the younger buyers who don't carry what Hyundai was doing in the past with them. And yes, they need dealers and they need them badly. They also need some sort of cross-over ASAP.
Old 11-21-18, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There are going to be a lot of older people who will not buy a Genesis because of the past connection to Hyundai in the 1980's and early 1990's.

Old 11-21-18, 07:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don’t understand why you keep hammering this concept. The goal of Hyundai is to attract a new generation of buyers and keep them, Hyundai needs to attract younger people. Older buyers are irrelevant at this point whether they still hold their past beliefs about Hyundai or not. Lexus is building new UX, NX models not for the older people who remember Lexus in 1989, they are building them for the young 30 years who have grown up with Toyota products or for those who had parents who were happy with their Lexus.
Old 11-21-18, 07:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

I don’t understand why you keep hammering this concept. The goal of Hyundai is to attract a new generation of buyers and keep them, Hyundai needs to attract younger people. Older buyers are irrelevant at this point whether they still hold their past beliefs about Hyundai or not. Lexus is building new UX, NX models not for the older people who remember Lexus in 1989, they are building them for the young 30 years who have grown up with Toyota products or for those who had parents who were happy with their Lexus.
Kia tried to do something similar with the Soul, but who actually buys the Soul?

I do like the "legit" pic above. I also would like to point out that this picture actually contains the radar sensor cover, whereas the pic of the white car does not.
Old 11-21-18, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The G90 went from having an Audi-like nose and a Mercedes-Benz-like tail to having an Acura-like nose and a Lincoln-like tail. Depending upon your perspective, this may not be an improvement.
Agreed...not a good shift LOL

There are going to be a lot of older people who will not buy a Genesis because of the past connection to Hyundai in the 1980's and early 1990's. But these people are not the ones you want to be appealing to you, Genesis needs the younger buyers who don't carry what Hyundai was doing in the past with them. And yes, they need dealers and they need them badly. They also need some sort of cross-over ASAP.
Agreed, but for all those older people who have that connotation with Hyundai, there are younger generations who come along and don't have that issue. Same was true with Toyota back in the 70s.

Agreed they need a crossover badly.
Old 11-21-18, 09:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What happened to this perfectly good looking grill from the concept? This is the direction they should be going.

Old 11-21-18, 10:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I don't mind the shape of the grill, but the mesh reminds me of a chain-link fence, which is not the direction I would be headed if it were my choice.

For the back end, I think this new one is much more attractive as I never liked the tail of the current one, especially the tail lights.
Old 11-21-18, 10:16 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Are they trying to make the most generic and at the same time ugly car they can?
Exactly! Who can Hyundai copy this time? Looks like a Acura and a Lincoln had a child, and not a good looking one.
Old 11-21-18, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

define 'older'. i expect i fit that definition and yes, i remember early craptastic hyundai 'pony's, and kia amati's, etc., but i will and did get a genesis, because there's NO COMPARISON. i don't have much time for people who cling to impressions of a company from 30+ years ago... companies can and always do change.

Originally Posted by arentz07
Kia tried to do something similar with the Soul, but who actually buys the Soul?
you're right, old people. i say that because some neighbors of mine did.
Old 11-21-18, 10:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What happened to this perfectly good looking grill from the concept? This is the direction they should be going.

I like this better. Here's hoping both renders/images are fake.
Old 11-21-18, 11:00 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This concept is very, very real, though! My parents are of the generation where Hyundai and Kia were total crap and they still believe they are, even though reviews show the contrary. My brother was looking for a mid-sized SUV recently and the Kia Sorrento made the short list. My dads response: "Kia's are crap!" He labels them "throw-away cars."

I really like the current G80 and G90, but after reading responses on the Genesis fourums, Kia/Hyundai still have a long way to go.
Old 11-21-18, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don’t understand why you keep hammering this concept.
I can explain it in one easy sentence.....Hyundai no longer makes junk.

(That image I posted, Jill, was not aimed at you, but at those who stubbornly refuse to even go look at Hyundais and Kias)
Old 11-21-18, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I can explain it in one easy sentence.....Hyundai no longer makes junk.

(That image I posted, Jill, was not aimed at you, but at those who stubbornly refuse to even go look at Hyundais and Kias)
why do you imply that people think Hyundai is junk if they refuse to even look at them. Nobody on here says they are junk. I do not think they are junk, however, I have no interest to ever look at them or even consider buying a Hyundai. I am just not interested in any way. For me, I like mainstream brands more than I do luxury brands, however I would buy in this order Toyota, Honda, and then maybe Volkswagen. Hyundai is near the bottom of the list even if they made it to the list, it is not personal, it just I have no interest in buying a Hyundai. Genesis is a bit of a different story, I like most of the products, the G90 is nice and so is the the G70, I would be on the fence on paying Lexus, Mercedes or BMW for Genesis, but their products do sort of interest me even though I like mainstream brands better

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-21-18 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 12:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
This concept is very, very real, though! My parents are of the generation where Hyundai and Kia were total crap and they still believe they are, even though reviews show the contrary. My brother was looking for a mid-sized SUV recently and the Kia Sorrento made the short list. My dads response: "Kia's are crap!" He labels them "throw-away cars."

I really like the current G80 and G90, but after reading responses on the Genesis fourums, Kia/Hyundai still have a long way to go.
I don’t disagree that’s people have those beliefs. So what? Let them have them, I am just tired of hearing about how Hyundai’s are not junk and people are not over the past stigma. I get it. My dad was looking for an Avalon to replace his Lexus, I mentioned Buick and the Genesis, his answer was no, I don’t buy American cars anymore and I will not buy a car from the parent company Hyundai. The Buick was probably the best car for his needs on paper at least. On the flip side, my brother is on his third Hyundai, good for him.
Old 11-21-18, 12:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
define 'older'. i expect i fit that definition and yes, i remember early craptastic hyundai 'pony's, and kia amati's, etc., but i will and did get a genesis, because there's NO COMPARISON. i don't have much time for people who cling to impressions of a company from 30+ years ago... companies can and always do change.

you're right, old people. i say that because some neighbors of mine did.
While your story is indeed interesting. Genesis is not exactly shattering the sales growth charts, so I am sure there are more older folks who do not see Genesis in the same light as you. . I agree that companies do change, nowhere have I said that Hyundai is making the same stuff they did during the Pony era.

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G90 teases its refreshed face