Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pre-purchase inspection for car sold by Lexus dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 12:53 PM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Or, you can just do a google search from the beginning instead of giving people bad advice.
Saying, i dont think he will find them, does not mean he wouldn't. Based on his response, he found what he was looking for. I gave my opinion on finding cars that old and then gave him advice on looking into a vehicle that old. Maybe you should spend less time trying to change my opinion
Old 11-13-18, 01:27 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Or, you can just do a google search from the beginning instead of giving people bad advice.

No, the whole point is to get an independent mechanic to do the PPI. The PPI is done before deciding whether to buy the car.
I agree, my experience is that indies rely upon their reputation to bring repeat business. The indie that I found had people in the lounge who have been customers 20+ years. This in the back of my mind makes me wonder how long they can continue to survive--you know, like when you have a favorite restaurant who has huge portions, 4.5 on yelp, and low prices.

They are gonna tell you very likely what they think, and steer you away if problems, or tell you to pull the trigger, without any judgement on price, just on the mechanicals. The price is more up to you. I was told I had a mild leak at the rear output shaft--a $11 part that cost almost $200 total to fix. Showed it to me on the lift. Now in the Lexus dealer's nearly $6k multipoint, how come that wasn't on it? Because they didn't actually inspect my car, they judged it and recommended services, based on year and mileage. A toyota dealer also did a multipoint and checked off that my clutch fluid was full. LS430's don't have manuals, btw.