Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pre-purchase inspection for car sold by Lexus dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 05:47 PM
CK41885
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre-purchase inspection for car sold by Lexus dealership

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around the forums for a few months now, as I am hoping to purchase my first Lexus in the next 1.5 years. I got my eyes set on the 2006 LS430, since I have read such glowing reports here.

I know people recommend that prior to buying any used car, it's best to get a pre-purchase inspection. My question is: If I find a used LS430 at an official Lexus dealership, should I still get a pre-purchase inspection? And if so, should I then take it to another Lexus dealership that is selling the vehicle to make sure that there isn't conflict of interest?

Thanks for your recommendations! You guys rock!
Old 11-08-18, 07:24 PM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you will find a car that old on a lexus dealership. I'd reccomend signing up on the lexus drivers website and using it to look up the vehicle history. By entering the vin number, you can see all records of any service preformed at any lexus dealership. Check the carfax and i'd recommend you use an independent company to preform the inspection. They might do a more in depth look into the car vs lexus. I know other users on here have used outside inspection companies with good results. Maybe they will chime in with some recommendations....
Old 11-08-18, 09:25 PM
CK41885
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the recommendation Stewart! Yes, in general cars that old don't pop up often at Lexus dealerships, but since I've been searching during the last few months, I'd say 1-2 third Gen LS430's appear at one of the multiple Lexus dealerships in my area every month. There's one really nice looking one with pretty low mileage (less than 80k). However, the Carfax shows very limited service history. So my worry is if I go into the dealership, they'll tell me that a pre-purchase inspection is unnecessary because it is being sold by a Lexus dealership. I will follow your recommendation on setting up the Lexus driver's website. I have seen that recommendation in other posts as well
Old 11-08-18, 09:59 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless you're willing to take a 100% bath, always PPI used cars. Even CPO. If the dealer is reluctant, that just means it's a shady dealer.

Originally Posted by Stewart350
I don't think you will find a car that old on a lexus dealership.
You'll definitely be able to find cars that old at Lexus dealerships - just not that many. And they can't be CPO, obviously.
Old 11-08-18, 11:15 PM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gengar
You'll definitely be able to find cars that old at Lexus dealerships - just not that many. And they can't be CPO, obviously.
I live in SoCal and I have never seen a car over 10 years old on the lexus used dealership lot. Even the cars that were close to 10 years old were there because they had extremely low mileage under 100k.
Old 11-09-18, 04:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Even indies today do multipoint inspections, and they tend to treat customers like humans. Example, I bought a LS430 in 10/16, took it to a Lexus dealer because they said they would flush the brakes for $80. They charged me $59? My sneaking suspicion (because my mom's Acura is $140 at the dealer) is they did nothing more than suck the fluid out of the reservoir and replace it. The fluid was clear as water, and the next day, yellow. Obviously old mixing with small amount of new. I felt ripped off.

But it gets better--I left with a multipoint saying I needed almost $6k of work. Went to an indie, they did a multipoint, and said only thing we recommend is brake and p/s flush by mileage, trans drain/fill since mileage is low enough at 81k (told them dealer just did brake fluid and they said oh ok but the fluid is not clear), and in 10k or so think about timing belt. Their amount was $45 + $68 + $80. I asked them about the Lexus multipoint and they said you need none of that.

Moral is I think an indie is the one you want doing the PPI. Or, you simply buy in a state where a warranty is required by law, such as New York. 80k+ miles 1 mo/1k--this will merely prevent a rip off. Under 80k 3 mo/3k. again, just so you can take it home and if you discover something they will fix. In my case brakes pulsated and driver door actuator busted, dealer fixed free. And with Lexus OE on the front brakes as they returned the old parts and new boxes.

btw I've had the car now 25 mos. and never did most of that work they suggested, to keep it real. I did pay an indie almost $900 for the water pump job, Lexus gets $1,800. So take 1800 off the 6k figure if you like, that was part of it.

edit I just did the brake flush on Sunday myself, and did it their way--I only bled out one caliper. The fluid was clear as water, and next day, yellowish. In the spring I will do all 4 calipers. Fluid was golden not black anyway. I'm the type who likes to confirm suspicions. Prolly if fluid is not that bad this method works. But imagine if brake fluid were black or green black, and done the lexus way? Gonna be dark really fast...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-09-18 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 10:54 AM
CK41885
Driver School Candidate

I do have an indie mechanic that I've been taking my current vehicle (Toyota Highlander) to. So maybe I'll call them up to see if they do PPI. Thanks for the additional recommendations.

I actually saw an immaculate LS430 last week (55k miles) but I couldn't pull the trigger because of the price (16k). It went off the market in 2 days.
Old 11-09-18, 11:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I find the 2006 LS430 to be a great knock-around car. It's quite likely these cars will sail with ease through 200k, and quite possibly 300k. So imho low miles is not worth the premium people want. Meaning, any car 80k or so, can have a trans drain/fill, which is often neglected. who knows, maybe even 100k is ok, but I wouldn't guarantee it. My indie said at 80k, they are 100% certain drain/fill the tranny will not cause any harm. Again, this car couldn't handle to save its life or the occupants', I bet a 1974 Dodge Monaco takes it in an autocross. But there are days between when it is soothing to drive around on a mattress in the clouds...
Old 11-11-18, 05:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Definitely have it inspected by a third party. If you're shopping dealers you're going to pay a lot for a low mileage example, which is fine. if I were going to buy one thats what I would want. Its just not worth it to deal with buyers expectations for a dealership to sell a high mileage one for cheap.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Even indies today do multipoint inspections, and they tend to treat customers like humans. Example, I bought a LS430 in 10/16, took it to a Lexus dealer because they said they would flush the brakes for $80. They charged me $59? My sneaking suspicion (because my mom's Acura is $140 at the dealer) is they did nothing more than suck the fluid out of the reservoir and replace it. The fluid was clear as water, and the next day, yellow. Obviously old mixing with small amount of new. I felt ripped off.
Curious as to how you felt ripped off?

As you said, a full brake flush is $80-150. They charged you $59 and like you said clearly simply exchange fluid...but they also only charged you to exchange fluid. Bottom line is...the car didnt need a fluid flush, they did what it needed and only charged you for that. So...if they had done a flush that they realized it didn't need and charged you for that you'd have felt happy? Very strange.

Now, had they charged you for a flush and only replaced fluid, you'd have reason to feel ripped off.
Old 11-12-18, 12:58 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

I live in SoCal and I have never seen a car over 10 years old on the lexus used dealership lot. Even the cars that were close to 10 years old were there because they had extremely low mileage under 100k.
Even the briefest of google searches show that there are 2008 and older MY cars currently in preowned inventory at various socal Lexus dealers. As I stated, there aren't many, but they are out there.
Old 11-12-18, 04:05 AM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Even the briefest of google searches show that there are 2008 and older MY cars currently in preowned inventory at various socal Lexus dealers. As I stated, there aren't many, but they are out there.
As I stated before, I've never seen them when I went to the dealerships. Its fine that they are out there. If someone else mentions they are looking for 10 plus year old lexus then ill point them to google.
Old 11-12-18, 09:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Definitely have it inspected by a third party. If you're shopping dealers you're going to pay a lot for a low mileage example, which is fine. if I were going to buy one thats what I would want. Its just not worth it to deal with buyers expectations for a dealership to sell a high mileage one for cheap.

Curious as to how you felt ripped off?

As you said, a full brake flush is $80-150. They charged you $59 and like you said clearly simply exchange fluid...but they also only charged you to exchange fluid. Bottom line is...the car didnt need a fluid flush, they did what it needed and only charged you for that. So...if they had done a flush that they realized it didn't need and charged you for that you'd have felt happy? Very strange.

Now, had they charged you for a flush and only replaced fluid, you'd have reason to feel ripped off.
As far as the prices, true, a muffler shop charges $80 minimum, but as far as Lexus charging $59, I think the cashier or someone f'd up the entire RO. Because the coolant drain/fill was also less than what they said over the phone. It's incompetence more than anything else. I remember the person sounding shakey, so I called again and was given a different price where the relationship of the jobs all changed (say brakes $140, coolant $180, next call, brakes $100, coolant $80, see what I mean). So I was resolved to just pick the best prices and mention them.

If you were to pull my Lexus drivers, or carfax, you would see brake fluid flush. A flush is not when you don't get it all out imho....

Just trying to illustrate that imho, almost all cars are often better off at an indie for work outside of warranty.

Old 11-12-18, 09:41 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Lexus Santa Monica almost always has an inventory of a few 10+ year old Lexus' and some with well over 150k miles. It just depends on the dealer. More than likely these are all trade ins and were given an oil change (if that) and thrown back on the lot. I would for sure ask to have a PPI done, although I'm not sure the selling dealer is going to be 100% honest on the PPI. The PPI is essentially just for peace of mind. It doesn't hold the seller responsible to fix anything. If you don't buy it, some other sucker will.
Old 11-12-18, 09:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Lexus Santa Monica almost always has an inventory of a few 10+ year old Lexus' and some with well over 150k miles. It just depends on the dealer. More than likely these are all trade ins and were given an oil change (if that) and thrown back on the lot. I would for sure ask to have a PPI done, although I'm not sure the selling dealer is going to be 100% honest on the PPI. The PPI is essentially just for peace of mind. It doesn't hold the seller responsible to fix anything. If you don't buy it, some other sucker will.
Exactly, fox in the hen house. But in SoCal there is a strong Japanese indie even Toyota community, with stellar reviews (not 9 or 10 like out east, but some over 500).

My wife said she used to go to that dealership as she worked for a wealthy woman and her daughter when she was in college, and she had to take the Lexus there for maintenance.
Old 11-13-18, 12:36 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

As I stated before, I've never seen them when I went to the dealerships. Its fine that they are out there. If someone else mentions they are looking for 10 plus year old lexus then ill point them to google.
Or, you can just do a google search from the beginning instead of giving people bad advice.

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I would for sure ask to have a PPI done, although I'm not sure the selling dealer is going to be 100% honest on the PPI. The PPI is essentially just for peace of mind. It doesn't hold the seller responsible to fix anything. If you don't buy it, some other sucker will.
No, the whole point is to get an independent mechanic to do the PPI. The PPI is done before deciding whether to buy the car.

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase inspection for car sold by Lexus dealership