Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sexiest suv award? 4th gen RX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 06:45 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

I agree, the RX is a bit ungainly looking. That type of look is passable on smaller cars like the NX. However, grafting onto the RX doesn't work.

For me, the Urus is definitely one of my favorite SUVs to look at. I think the Macan and F Pace are in the hunt as well.
Old 11-11-18, 11:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There is no such thing as a sexy SUV, they are all pretty ugly and dumpy looking.

The new RX is one of the ugliest SUV's on the road, it is borderline hideous with that giant pointless maw.
Old 11-13-18, 06:08 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this a joke? People aren’t buying the RX like they used to because it is ugly.
Old 11-13-18, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
Is this a joke? People aren’t buying the RX like they used to because it is ugly.
I agree that it's ugly, but to say that sales are down is incorrect. In the U.S. market, at least, they are running just about where they have been for years. This vehicle has a large, dedicated group of buyers despite its controversial looks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-13-18 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 06:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Through October RX sales in the U.S.are 88,471 (+4%) so it continues to sell in big numbers for Lexus. This is in spite of heavy competition from the other luxury CUV/SUV's. The new RX is not my cup of tea and I wouldn't consider one, but it seems to be doing well with its target demographic.
Old 11-13-18, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

it sells well. lexus decided to make the rx 'look at me' styled instead of 'i refuse to stand out', but that's not inconsistent with the ORIGINAL model which was absolutely unique and new in its styling if without the unending number of creases and angles of the current one, which i personally don't like at all. my bigger problem with the current rx is its proportions, they just look off (wheelbase too short, huge overhangs, etc). but my opinion's irrelevant as it continues to sell well, but no i don't find it 'sexy'.
Old 11-13-18, 07:44 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that it's ugly, but to say that sales are down is incorrect. In the U.S. market, at least, they are running just about where they have been for years. This vehicle has a large, dedicated group of buyers despite its controversial looks.

Looks like I was wrong. I guess a large number of Americans have poor taste. No need for your fwd family SUV to look like a transformer.
Old 11-13-18, 07:53 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
Looks like I was wrong. I guess a large number of Americans have poor taste. No need for your fwd family SUV to look like a transformer.
yea but most RX drivers probably don't even realize they drive an RX
Old 11-13-18, 08:26 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Range Rover is still the best designed SUV by far.

Next would be the X5M.

Jag Fpace, RR Velar, Gwagon, Alfa Stelvio Quadrofoglio also all are well designed.
4Runner is a worthy mention but interior design is very old.
Old 11-13-18, 08:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yea but most RX drivers probably don't even realize they drive an RX
Ouch, but also - very true.

"So my Lexus 350 needs new tires."
"Uh, sir, what year and model is it?"
"I dunno, 2007 ish? and a 350?"

"... a what-350?"

(This was paraphrased from actual conversation I overheard at Costco, though it was about a Highlander and not an RX - though I have heard of the infamous "Lexus 350" before.)
Old 11-13-18, 08:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I had a 3rd gen RX and we really enjoyed it. The only shortcoming, and which ultimately led to our purchase of the Highlander, was the lack of a third row.

When the 4th gens came out, I was impartial at best. But now, a few years later, they've had time to grow on me and I think they look nice in particular colors/trims. For example, I do like them in Atomic Silver with the F Sport package. We're plenty happy with the Highlander so we won't be making a switch, especially since the Highlander's 3rd row is so much more accommodating than the one in the RX-L.

But I think it's nonsense to say that everyone who buys a current RX is either buying it despite the styling or has bad taste. The "my opinion is it's ugly and if you disagree you're wrong" attitude gets really old on here.
Old 11-13-18, 09:29 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

The Range Rover Family and Mercedes G-Glass is a toss up for most handsome SUV. I just don’t find SUV’s too attractive in my eyes. I do like the looks of the new Volvo V90 and V60 Cross Countries if we can call those two SUV’s.
Old 11-13-18, 10:04 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm glad the current RX is selling. I would never buy one. But I loved the RX, and loved the look of the 2010-12 front end. So that's what I bought.

The extreme styling of the current RX will look as dated as the bizarre "wings" on the rear of the '59 chevys one day.

By the way, I wanted to import a jpg of a '59 Impala, but this blog uploads and then hangs at 90%. What am I doing wrong?

So instead, here's the same photo, but on my own server:

http://www.inventics.com/59ChevImpala.jpg
Old 11-13-18, 11:29 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

The best looking SUV’s in my opinion would be:

-Porsche Cayenne and Macan
-Lexus LX470 and GX470
-Range Rover Velar
-That Bentley SUV that every rapper talks about

It would be a tie between all of those. I thought the second generation Escalade and the 03+ Navigator were pretty good looking vehicles.
Old 11-13-18, 12:32 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I know that when I did the $100 Lexus test drive in the RX-L, the GM who drove with me said they are not moving, nor are the LS500s, and he has to turn it around. I can't remember what month that was. The good news is there was plenty activity in the dealership at 18:00 EST, so people had to be selling cars, maybe just not RX's and LS'.

I have a feeling that in general things have overheated, could very well be wrong. But I feel like people are not spending like 1 yr. ago. I looked at the CU's rates and 1.49% not to be seen. No-brainer to keep driving junk haha.

Look at the new iPhones, $400 off the xs? Unheard of for a new iPhone. My mom got a brand new 6s (she doesn't care what gen/how old, just wants something) for $120. And no, not through boost or consumer cellular, Verizon. LOL

Quick Reply: Sexiest suv award? 4th gen RX?