Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Put about 1,000 miles on a Nissan Rogue SL, review

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't know why you are yelling. It is just a discussion. I sorry for frustrating you.
You are frustrating me yes. You can have a discussion without being so thick. We had a 9 post exchange about fuel economy that could have been two posts. I'm happy to have a discussion, I enjoy it but I don't enjoy being interrogated.

The car is slow as hell. Of course it is. Nobody should expect otherwise. Nobody would be willing to pay Lexus NX turbo engine prices for the segment the Rogue is in.
Cars much cheaper than a Lexus NX have turbo 4 cyls. Honda Civic, Honda CR-V, Nissan's own similarly priced Altima sedan, the list goes on and on. Even vehicles in the Rogue's class that have NA 4cyls perform better than the Rogue. You rarely find 0-60 times in the 9s nowadays. Its the slowest in the segment 0-60 by a FULL SECOND. The next slowest car does 0-60 a full second faster than the Rogue.

The Rogue is unexpectedly slow even for its price class and market segment. It was the first car I have driven in a LONG time (longer than I can remember) that I was surprised by how slow it feels. A CR-V feels like a rocket by comparison, it really does.

Hence the point of what I said, a turbo 4cyl would make a huge impact in the drivability of the car. That suggestion for Nissan is not outlandish as you seem to think it is considering turbo 4cyl engines are becoming typical in economy cars, midsized sedans and compact SUVs. Hell, the Ford Escape has TWO turbo 4 options. Its a logical upgrade, and I'm sure it will come.
Old 11-11-18, 07:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody is going to exceed highway EPA figures
I routinely do in certain cars.

The CRV turbo is two small and underpowered as well
But its still dramatically more powerful than the Rogue, so what does that say about the Rogue? Have you driven a new CRV? 0-60 is TWO SECONDS faster, and it feels MUCH more responsive and faster. It being underpowered means nothing about the Rogue when the Rogue is even more underpowered yet.

Any weight added to a 4 cylinder car that is already underpowered for the weight of vehicle is going to affect it, that it included one extra passenger.
Sorry, thats BS. Its a UTILITY vehicle. I am not overloading it by having a front seat passenger and two duffel bags. The vehicle has three more available seats. To suggest that is ridiculous. You're just arguing with me because you like to argue. The trip that I took was exactly the sort of trip a buyer would purchase a Rogue to take. My cousin bought this vehicle specifically for this trip.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-11-18 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-11-18, 08:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for the write up, it was a good read. Coincidentally in this mornings Chic. Tribune the auto writer, who is a car guy, did a review on the Rouge and felt the same as you. His summary, "basic, simple, good enough."
Old 11-11-18, 10:12 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

So the highway mileage you are getting is from the on board computer? The combined mileage is 17, so the combined is lower than EPA advertised. Those highway instant meters are not very important nor are they accurate.
maybe not in a chrysler 200 or something, but in dividing the odometer by the actual gallons dispensed at the pump (made sure to use the same pump too), the trip computer in both my LS and E55 have been accurate to the 0.1 mpg when comparing the two. the car knows how much fuel it's sending, and how far its travelled, so why wouldn't the readout be accurate?

I can also get above the EPA highway ratings in both cars, WAY more so in the case of the LS. idk how the mpg rating is 25 highway, you have to be going 80+ mph with the A/C on for the mpgs to drop that low. E55 will easily meet or exceed the advertised 19 mpg highway as long as you're going below 75 mph or so. the original 2005 window sticker says 23 mpg highway, but you need to be going like 50 mph on a flat road on a warm day with the A/C off and windows up to even hope to get near that.

The most advanced piece of electronics in the Crown Vic is the FM radio, so I have no idea what it gets on the highway
Old 11-11-18, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats one thing I've noticed about 4 cyl cars, in my experience they tend to underperform their hwy mileage with me driving them on a trip, while V6 and V8 cars tend to overperform. I run cars pretty hard on a trip, 80 MPH, I stay on them going uphill to maintain that speed, etc.
All else equal, that's probably where your gas is going. On the Interstates, I generally travel lightly, keep my average speed to about 60 or so (not in the left lane LOL)....and, whether four or V6, almost always do better than the rated EPA Highway figure on the road by about 2-3 MPG. It's a lot harder, though, in stop and go driving, simply because of the horrendous stop-and-go conditions in much of the D.C. Metro area. My Lacrosse, with its efficient 9-speed auto and the other MPG-enhancing devices, is the first car I've ever owned that I actually did as good or better than EPA around town.
Old 11-11-18, 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

LexsCTJill, i've read through your posts, and i think your points are that the rogue is slow but that's not surprising since it's a 2013 design and a non-turbo 4. if so, fair enough, but we don't need to get into SWLS17's ls460l, as that's irrelevant.

when i drove a non turbo 4 crv 3 yrs ago, it was certainly not slow. the newer smaller size turbo 4s it has now are supposedly excellent and definitely not slow. the turbo 4 is now the predominant power train across brands i'd say, except for toyota, providing good response and good fuel economy unless driven hard.
Old 11-11-18, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Thanks for the write up, it was a good read. Coincidentally in this mornings Chic. Tribune the auto writer, who is a car guy, did a review on the Rouge and felt the same as you. His summary, "basic, simple, good enough."
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All else equal, that's probably where your gas is going. On the Interstates, I generally travel lightly, keep my average speed to about 60 or so (not in the left lane LOL)....and, whether four or V6, almost always do better than the rated EPA Highway figure on the road by about 2-3 MPG. It's a lot harder, though, in stop and go driving, simply because of the horrendous stop-and-go conditions in much of the D.C. Metro area. My Lacrosse, with its efficient 9-speed auto and the other MPG-enhancing devices, is the first car I've ever owned that I actually did as good or better than EPA around town.
At 60 on these roads you would be 10 MPH below the speed limit. Speed limit is 70.

The point is, all the cars I posted MPG from on this same trip were driven the same way, including the Rogue. The engine is so anemic that you have to keep it north of 4,000 RPM to get any meaningful power, and when going uphill its running 4,500 RPM or so to maintain 75 MPH, where the LS is running 2,000 RPM, perhaps it will downshift to 2,800 or 3,000 at the very top of one of those hills, its easy to see how the fuel savings of the smaller engine is lost vs the bigger engine because it has to work so much harder. Fascinating the two cars would return basically the same MPG driven the same way on the same trip.
Old 11-11-18, 11:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when i drove a non turbo 4 crv 3 yrs ago, it was certainly not slow. the newer smaller size turbo 4s it has now are supposedly excellent and definitely not slow. the turbo 4 is now the predominant power train across brands i'd say, except for toyota, providing good response and good fuel economy unless driven hard.
Exactly, like I said its been a long time since I pulled out from a neighborhood and accelerated to 45 MPH and remarked to myself "my god this thing is slow" like I did in the Rogue. I've driven a lot of cars with NA 4cyls too over the years and never felt that way,
Old 11-11-18, 02:17 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
That is for sire review should be based on the car itself maybe compared to other ones in the same category. Comparing it to LS? It is apple to apple not apple to orange.
small engine working hard always gives poor fuel economy vs. big engine working just like idling. IMO, In this category there are RAV4, Rogue, Mazda 5. Amongst Rogue is ranked last. Maybe that's why resale value of Rogue is not as good as the other two.
Old 11-11-18, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LexsCTJill, i've read through your posts, and i think your points are that the rogue is slow but that's not surprising since it's a 2013 design and a non-turbo 4. if so, fair enough, but we don't need to get into SWLS17's ls460l, as that's irrelevant.
Yes. Rouge is slow. Never was intended to be fast. The EPA rating at the time in 2013 was very good. As for any ls460l, I don’t think I brought up the LS, I believe he claimed he got better gas mileage on the highway in an ls460 than the Rogue did. But whatever, I have moved on...
Old 11-11-18, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
That is for sire review should be based on the car itself maybe compared to other ones in the same category. Comparing it to LS? It is apple to apple not apple to orange.
small engine working hard always gives poor fuel economy vs. big engine working just like idling. IMO, In this category there are RAV4, Rogue, Mazda 5. Amongst Rogue is ranked last. Maybe that's why resale value of Rogue is not as good as the other two.
As for any ls460l, I don’t think I brought up the LS, I believe he claimed he got better gas mileage on the highway in an ls460 than the Rogue did. But whatever, I have moved on...
Good lord. Nobody is comparing it to the LS. The only comment I made about the LS was in response to the comment that the Rogue gets good fuel economy on the highway, my response was that during this trip it wasn't very good, and was in fact similar to what I get in the LS on the same trip. Thats it...no comparison...just a comment.

My point was the engine is underpowered, and the CVT coupled with that underpowered engine makes for a noisy and crass driving experience for no payoff when it comes to fuel economy. I'd much rather have something else in the segment that has at least a regular transmission (such as a CX-5) or something with a turbo 4 and a CVT (such as a CR-V) or even better, a turbo 4 and a regular transmission (such as the Escape).

My main complaint about the vehicle was power, if it had more power and didnt have to stay up in those high noisy CVT induced rev bands I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-12-18 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-11-18, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
small engine working hard always gives poor fuel economy vs. big engine working just like idling. .
I agree. Most 4 bangers are tuned for fuel economy. Any disruption to the the status quota will result in less fuel economy. My 4 cylinder Corolla loses quite a bit of fuel economy if not driven slow or relaxed, but compared to my V8 in my 4Runner, it is rarely taxed in day to day driving, 4Runner stays fine for fuel use. . Our Matrix with the larger engine does not fare well to any spirited driving to get good mileage we need to drive very relaxed whereas our LX450 has just downright abysmal fuel economy at any speed.

It is far easier to not get 34 MPG in a 4 cylinder than it is to get 17 mpg in a larger more powerful motor.
Old 11-11-18, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Your Corolla is also like a rocketship compared to the Rogue lol.
Old 11-11-18, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Your Corolla is also like a rocketship compared to the Rogue lol.
Not a chance. Both are slow. Corolla is far more slower. But maybe not when at highway speeds. Our Matrix yes, but not the greatest MPG.
Old 11-11-18, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not a chance. Both are slow. Corolla is far more slower. But maybe not when at highway speeds. Our Matrix yes, but not the greatest MPG.
No lol. I also have driven the current generation Corolla and it feels quicker and less labored than the Rogue. Like I said, the Rogue feels fine at highway speeds with fine passing power, its getting moving from a stop.

Quick Reply: Put about 1,000 miles on a Nissan Rogue SL, review