Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Put about 1,000 miles on a Nissan Rogue SL, review

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 03:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

FYI, here is what C&D said about their Rouge tester.

"Driving the Rogue in traffic can resemble those movie scenes where the lead character moves in slow motion while the surroundings turn to blurry streaks. The Rogue AWD turned in a zero-to-60-mph time of 9.1 seconds—0.2 slower than in our test of the 2014 model, although it ran the quarter-mile in an identical 17.0 seconds. The new CR-V’s turbocharged 1.5-liter/CVT combination carries it to 60 mph in 7.6 seconds, and most others in the class can beat 8.0 seconds; even the slow ones outrun the Rogue. In our 50-to-70-mph top-gear acceleration test, simulating a passing maneuver or freeway merge, the Rogue took an interminably long 6.1 seconds to do what most competitors manage in about 5.0 seconds. Our test driver cited a sluggish response from the CVT as a contributing factor."

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-12-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-11-18, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thanks!

At 60 on these roads you would be 10 MPH below the speed limit. Speed limit is 70.
That's why I said not in the left lane LOL.

The point is, all the cars I posted MPG from on this same trip were driven the same way, including the Rogue. The engine is so anemic that you have to keep it north of 4,000 RPM to get any meaningful power, and when going uphill its running 4,500 RPM or so to maintain 75 MPH, where the LS is running 2,000 RPM, perhaps it will downshift to 2,800 or 3,000 at the very top of one of those hills, its easy to see how the fuel savings of the smaller engine is lost vs the bigger engine because it has to work so much harder. Fascinating the two cars would return basically the same MPG driven the same way on the same trip.
With the manual-mode options on most of today's automatics, though, you can usually hold any gear you want with either the shift-lever or paddles, though Chrysler's rotary-shifter and Lincoln's push-buttons may (?) lack that mode (I'd have to check). That mode will usually hold any gear you want (without up/down-shifting) unless you get to redline. If the requested gear is outside of safe RPM, a "Shift Denied" note will usually appear on the dash.
Old 11-11-18, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
FYI, here is what C&D said about their Rouge tester.

"Driving the Rogue in traffic can resemble those movie scenes where the lead character moves in slow motion while the surroundings turn to blurry streaks. The Rogue AWD turned in a zero-to-60-mph time of 9.1 seconds—0.2 slower than in our test of the 2014 model, although it ran the quarter-mile in an identical 17.0 seconds. The new CR-V’s turbocharged 1.5-liter/CVT combination carries it to 60 mph in 7.6 seconds, and most others in the class can beat 8.0 seconds; even the slow ones outrun the Rogue. In our 50-to-70-mph top-gear acceleration test, simulating a passing maneuver or freeway merge, the Rogue took an interminably long 6.1 seconds to do what most competitors manage in about 5.0 seconds. Our test driver cited a sluggish response from the CVT as a contributing factor."
Yep, I would agree with that statement.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's why I said not in the left lane LOL.
Off topic but at 10 MPH under the speed limit you're an impediment in any lane. These are two lane divided highways. You're using half the road at a speed dramatically below the flow of traffic. At that speed, you're even going to be passed by tractor trailers.

With the manual-mode options on most of today's automatics, though, you can usually hold any gear you want with either the shift-lever or paddles, though Chrysler's rotary-shifter and Lincoln's push-buttons may (?) lack that mode (I'd have to check). That mode will usually hold any gear you want (without up/down-shifting) unless you get to redline. If the requested gear is outside of safe RPM, a "Shift Denied" note will usually appear on the dash.
The Pacifica has an "L" mode but no way to select specific gears. Its an issue in the mountains. Rogue had the same mode, but its a CVT so thats more understandable.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-12-18 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 08:14 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would never consider the Rogue and I tell everyone else looking not to consider it because it's too slow, especially if you're going up into the mountains.
Old 11-12-18, 09:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I had gotten one in Detroit at the airport and it had 7 miles. I thought that overall it was a good little car. I remember it had radar cruise, a nice thick leather wrapped wheel. I think it had those lights on the inside for whatever it's called, blind spot? That seemed of lesser quality than say a led on the mirror faces lighting up. No complaints and I drove it about 300 miles from brand new. Also this year had Maxima, Murano, and Pathfinder. for some reason I found this one to be the best of the 4 as far as preference. Pathfinder had top view cam which was handy, Murano was during a snow storm so I didn't push it, and just didn't like the Maxima at all, and I own an older one.

My coworker got burned by Nissan on a Rogue, not sure what year but not newer than 2015 as this was 3 or more years ago so probably 2012. She was still under powertrain and her CVT busted up. Apparently they stated her issue would only be under 3/36 as the overheating was caused by a component covered by 3/36 and not 5/60. I thought that was bad.
Old 11-12-18, 09:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

No lol. I also have driven the current generation Corolla and it feels quicker and less labored than the Rogue. Like I said, the Rogue feels fine at highway speeds with fine passing power, its getting moving from a stop.
not being funny, the new Corolla that is being advertised during football games, I like it. And as I recall it can have an intelligent manual. I would drive one as I ain't too proud if it's a fun car...
Old 11-12-18, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
not being funny, the new Corolla that is being advertised during football games, I like it. And as I recall it can have an intelligent manual. I would drive one as I ain't too proud if it's a fun car...
Lots of cars in that segment I would buy before the Corolla. I'd get a Civic, personally. Or a Mazda 3.
Old 11-12-18, 09:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Lots of cars in that segment I would buy before the Corolla. I'd get a Civic, personally. Or a Mazda 3.
The Corolla "seemed" like Toyota put a lot into it, and it has an intelligent manual. But driving it is everything. Just that it looked good on the commercials...

edit: Not looking good. Out of 40 hatchbacks in our area, 2 are manuals. Not only that, they lack adaptive headlights, list for about 25k, and have every accessory already added (all the useless stuff). I was hoping this would be a GTI alternative (what planet am I on lol)

p.s. there is already $1,000 cash back on this car, didn't it just come out?

p.p.s. expanded search to NYC only, 4 manual cars out of around 150! Also, zero with adaptive headlights regardless of tranny, and now price as high as 28k! lol

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-12-18 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 10:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the manual will be ultra rare, the Corolla is economy transportation nothing more. Other cars in the segment at least have something more to them.
Old 11-12-18, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The Corolla "seemed" like Toyota put a lot into it, and it has an intelligent manual. But driving it is everything. Just that it looked good on the commercials...

edit: Not looking good. Out of 40 hatchbacks in our area, 2 are manuals. Not only that, they lack adaptive headlights, list for about 25k, and have every accessory already added (all the useless stuff). I was hoping this would be a GTI alternative (what planet am I on lol)

p.s. there is already $1,000 cash back on this car, didn't it just come out?

p.p.s. expanded search to NYC only, 4 manual cars out of around 150! Also, zero with adaptive headlights regardless of tranny, and now price as high as 28k! lol
I tried out the new Corolla hatch. Perhaps to exchange our Matrix. It’s ok, power train and new first gear start is good. Features are great. Materials are good. Drives nice. But, not really down for the styling and the design
Old 11-12-18, 11:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I tried out the new Corolla hatch. Perhaps to exchange our Matrix. It’s ok, power train and new first gear start is good. Features are great. Materials are good. Drives nice. But, not really down for the styling and the design
Did you get a chance to drive the manual? I suppose based on the torque #'s, I am kidding myself that it is anything like a GTI fighter. But I am totally ok with having a car that is "basic" yet fun transportation...maybe "fun" is also lacking lol

A guy that we work with has 2 Matrixes and 1 Vibe. I did not know they were the same car, I met him once with his Vibe and he said it was a salvage car and he rebuilt it and it had around 450k miles...thought it was a 6-spd manual. It's funny when we feel comfortable with what we have and get more than one of them....
Old 11-12-18, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Did you get a chance to drive the manual? I suppose based on the torque #'s, I am kidding myself that it is anything like a GTI fighter. But I am totally ok with having a car that is "basic" yet fun transportation...maybe "fun" is also lacking lol

A guy that we work with has 2 Matrixes and 1 Vibe. I did not know they were the same car, I met him once with his Vibe and he said it was a salvage car and he rebuilt it and it had around 450k miles...thought it was a 6-spd manual. It's funny when we feel comfortable with what we have and get more than one of them....
Nah. Didn’t try the manual. Strange, I don’t care at all if a car is fun to drive at all. Just want something relatively quiet, easy to use, good on gas and simple to maintain. I would of got the new Civic but the current design was not available at the time I was looking. Our Matrix is 5 speed and 2.4.
Old 11-12-18, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Mazda 3, especially the upmarket version, steers and handles well for a sedan in its class, but rides firmly, and I never cared for the red/blue warning-light system, as opposed to a traditional gauge, that a number of Mazdas and Subarus use for hot/cold coolant-temperature.
Old 11-12-18, 11:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Mazda 3, especially the upmarket version, steers and handles well for a sedan in its class, but rides firmly, and I never cared for the red/blue warning-light system, as opposed to a traditional gauge, that a number of Mazdas and Subarus use for hot/cold coolant-temperature.
Love how it turns to steering and handling. Yet what are the sales like for the Mazda 3? In Canada they also offer an unlimited mileage warranty for the first three years. I always thought the Mazda 3 looked small.
Old 11-12-18, 12:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

meanwhile, back to the rogue...

Quick Reply: Put about 1,000 miles on a Nissan Rogue SL, review