Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Mazda CX-5 debuts with turbocharged engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 11:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Thru October sales of the big three: CR-V 305,446 (-1%), Rogue 337,727 (+3%), RAV4 353,151 (+2%). I don't know how each finished 2017.
Appears Rav4 was #1 in 2017
Old 11-25-18, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Rogue is the best selling cross-over in the segment.
According to the numbers, it is the RAV-4.

https://www.theweeklydriver.com/2018...p-selling-suv/

Alex Jones also verified the RAV-4's top-seller status in his review-video.

It also seems to be the top-seller CUV in my own neighborhood, but, of course, that is not an official figure.
Old 11-25-18, 03:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Total 2017 U.S. sales = RAV4 407,594 (+16%), Rogue 403,465 (+22%) and CR-V 377,895 (+5%). That's nearly 1.2M units of just these 3 CUV's and will be even more in 2018.
Old 11-25-18, 04:01 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Total 2017 U.S. sales = RAV4 407,594 (+16%), Rogue 403,465 (+22%) and CR-V 377,895 (+5%). That's nearly 1.2M units of just these 3 CUV's and will be even more in 2018.
Wow, I didn't realize Rogue sales were doing that well.
Old 11-25-18, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Wow, I didn't realize Rogue sales were doing that well.
Yes, people seem to like them. The relatively bargain price doesn't hurt, either....particularly for the slightly cheaper Rogue Sport.
Old 11-25-18, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, people seem to like them. The relatively bargain price doesn't hurt, either....particularly for the slightly cheaper Rogue Sport.

Perhaps I spoke a little too soon. Back to the CX-5, its base price is right in the same neighborhood as the Rogue's. So it, too, might be considered a bargain.
Old 11-26-18, 04:06 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Were the (cold) tire pressures OK? Too much air in the tires (especially with a cold suspension and shock-fluid) will definitely stiffen things up. The proper cold pressure (after sitting overnight or in the shade for three hours) can usually be found in one of three places.....a sign on the lower part of the driver's door-jamb, in the glove box, or, once in a while, underhood. It is normal for pressures to increase with heat (1 PSI for every 10 degrees of air temperature), direct sunlight, and as they roll during warmup.
Although I don't know what the tire pressure was, this was a suspension tuning thing, not a tire pressure thing.

Old 11-28-18, 03:14 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'd buy a CX-5 over the competition just so I could get Mazda's gorgeous red paint.
Soul Red was a $600 option last year, but I would most likely get that too!
Old 12-29-18, 11:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 670 Likes on 500 Posts

I just picked one of these up this morning for my wife. I started a thread a while ago and thought I would be buying an RDX. My wife was not feeling the same love of the RDX's appearance as I was, plus, she's more budget minded than me. Since it will be her daily, I didn't fight it.

We test drove a Grand Touring Reserve, since every Signature that came in was already sold. I really liked the feel of the 2.5l Turbo, vs the lack luster non turbo. I didn't like the missing features vs. the Sig, like parking sensors, 360 camera, Nappa leather seats and real wood trim. The dealer called to let us know that one came in we could check out, but not drive, as it was sold. My wife and I really liked it and figured we would wait a few months until the hype wore off and we could get a better deal on one.

With our new lower budget in mind, we decided to check out what else was available in the $30k price segment. We tried Kia Sportage SX Turbo. While it was fun to drive, it was missing several features we wanted. Next was the VW Tiguan SEL Premium. Way too under-powered and even though they are practically giving them away, it's off the list. We checked out Hyundai, but their direct competition, the Tucson, doesn't come with the turbo, we up'd the size to the Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0. We probably would have bought that had it not been for the dealer's 1980's style sales tactics. We finally got our keys back and went straight to Mazda.

Our sales person that we've been dealing with told us the next 3 Signatures were due any day. We decided we would run the numbers and figure out where we were. Without a hitch, the first offer was about $650 off of where I wanted to be. Already about $1k below the best we were offered for a similarly (MSRP) priced Santa Fe that took over an hour to get to. I asked for the $650 and they came back with $500. Done! As we were going over things, we were informed that the car actually arrived that day. It was perfect with just 2 miles on it. They prepped the car and we picked it up this morning. I really don't feel like I'm missing anything over the RDX, except the pano roof. Here are a few pic's:

At the dealer

My wife loves the color

Not the best clarity, but it does what it's supposed to

Outdated, but works well

4 miles in the driveway!
Old 12-29-18, 12:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Brilliant color! Congrats
Old 12-29-18, 12:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Congratulations. Great choice all around. I really like the CX-5.
Old 12-29-18, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Congratulations.....a nice choice. The dark blue color is nice. One of the ladies who works the front desk at the recreation-center pool regularly I swim in got one a couple of months ago (partly on my advice, when she asked me).....same color. She loves it.

I see the newest ones have a nice coolant-temperature gauge. The last ones had red and blue warning-lights for the temperature.....I never liked that system.
Old 12-30-18, 10:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I just picked one of these up this morning for my wife. I started a thread a while ago and thought I would be buying an RDX. My wife was not feeling the same love of the RDX's appearance as I was, plus, she's more budget minded than me. Since it will be her daily, I didn't fight it.

We test drove a Grand Touring Reserve, since every Signature that came in was already sold. I really liked the feel of the 2.5l Turbo, vs the lack luster non turbo. I didn't like the missing features vs. the Sig, like parking sensors, 360 camera, Nappa leather seats and real wood trim. The dealer called to let us know that one came in we could check out, but not drive, as it was sold. My wife and I really liked it and figured we would wait a few months until the hype wore off and we could get a better deal on one.

With our new lower budget in mind, we decided to check out what else was available in the $30k price segment. We tried Kia Sportage SX Turbo. While it was fun to drive, it was missing several features we wanted. Next was the VW Tiguan SEL Premium. Way too under-powered and even though they are practically giving them away, it's off the list. We checked out Hyundai, but their direct competition, the Tucson, doesn't come with the turbo, we up'd the size to the Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0. We probably would have bought that had it not been for the dealer's 1980's style sales tactics. We finally got our keys back and went straight to Mazda.

Our sales person that we've been dealing with told us the next 3 Signatures were due any day. We decided we would run the numbers and figure out where we were. Without a hitch, the first offer was about $650 off of where I wanted to be. Already about $1k below the best we were offered for a similarly (MSRP) priced Santa Fe that took over an hour to get to. I asked for the $650 and they came back with $500. Done! As we were going over things, we were informed that the car actually arrived that day. It was perfect with just 2 miles on it. They prepped the car and we picked it up this morning. I really don't feel like I'm missing anything over the RDX, except the pano roof. Here are a few pic's:
Hyundai dropped the turbo from the Tucson?!
Old 12-30-18, 10:23 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 670 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Hyundai dropped the turbo from the Tucson?!
I actually never knew they offered it, but it's not available now.

The more I get to know the CX-5, the more I know I made the right decision. I hate to say it, but I enjoy driving it more than my ES.
Old 12-30-18, 01:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I hate to say it, but I enjoy driving it more than my ES.
I’d like to know specifically why... just because it’s newer? What features? Ride? Ride/sitting height? Thanks.

oh and congrats!!

Quick Reply: 2019 Mazda CX-5 debuts with turbocharged engine