Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 07:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A vehicle may be someones property, but lawmakers can mandate that a vehicle is to be equipped with automated incriminating devices if it is to be registered for use on public roads.
Old 11-20-18, 09:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
A vehicle may be someones property, but lawmakers can mandate that a vehicle is to be equipped with automated incriminating devices if it is to be registered for use on public roads.
read the 4th and 5th amendment and get back to us
Old 11-20-18, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I agree with 4Teh...such a requirement by the government would require serious, serious backlash.

This has also been tested by the government trying to gain access to information recorded by smartphones...and struck down.
Old 11-20-18, 09:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Good lord. Its the same difference...

They're not that bad out here because you know where they are, and they're fairly obvious, and the grace period is pretty big, 13MPH. DC is the worst because they move them around and the fines are MUCH higher. Ticket in MoCo is $40. In DC it can be $100-200.
I totally agree with you about MD. $40, there isn't a single person on this forum that could not afford to pay that. When LA had red light cams, $560 imho is another story. And last time I looked into DC, they don't publish any leeway.

Bottom line? Society could improve the way it behaves, and in some sense, lawbreaking should be removed, within some range. Going 12 mph over the limit does not make a person bad, it's the vehicle that does. There are no bad drivers, only bad vehicles.
Old 11-20-18, 09:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I totally agree with you about MD. $40, there isn't a single person on this forum that could not afford to pay that. When LA had red light cams, $560 imho is another story. And last time I looked into DC, they don't publish any leeway.

Bottom line? Society could improve the way it behaves, and in some sense, lawbreaking should be removed, within some range. Going 12 mph over the limit does not make a person bad, it's the vehicle that does. There are no bad drivers, only bad vehicles.
its not about the money, how does police know whos driving the car at the time of the offense? You can't, same with your constitutional right to face your accuser. Its a camera. This is why City of Houston made it to where you cannot have any criminal penalties for a red light ticket, it becomes a pure civil penalty. You cant go to jail, be arrested, be warranted, they cant even stop you from registering your car when you have these tickets because these things violate your civil rights. Theoretically you can straight up ignore the ticket and the police cant do anything.
Old 11-20-18, 09:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its not about the money, how does police know whos driving the car at the time of the offense? You can't, same with your constitutional right to face your accuser. Its a camera. This is why City of Houston made it to where you cannot have any criminal penalties for a red light ticket, it becomes a pure civil penalty. You cant go to jail, be arrested, be warranted, they cant even stop you from registering your car when you have these tickets because these things violate your civil rights. Theoretically you can straight up ignore the ticket and the police cant do anything.
The extreme could be Canada (Ontario), one simply adjusts behavior because the penalty is so severe. We think DC is bad, how about Montréal? It's to the point one might as well observe all speed limits and traffic controls.

Why I think your logic is flawed, what right does the City of Seattle have, to issue you a parking ticket, because you did not stick the parking receipt to the left front driver's side window? You paid, but maybe put it on the dash, as is often done? They don't care who was driving, they send a summons to the rental car co., who adds their fee and automatically charges your credit card $300.

I think in society, we can come up with a gazillion reasons to not act right, but unfortunately, it takes time. Is it time well spent? Canadians appear to say no, they'll just follow the law.

How does a human know how fast he/she is going? How many people in the general population can integrate and derive using calculus? I'm not talking in the world, I'm talking in the USA.
Old 11-20-18, 11:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

so you're ok with people driving 105 in a 70 limit or 45 in a 30?
I'm not sure how you read that from my statement. All I said is that parking infractions are unlikely to be life threatening.

And you and I both know that 105 in a 70 isn't the same as 45 in a 30.
Old 11-20-18, 11:15 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

so you're ok with people driving 105 in a 70 limit or 45 in a 30?
i've never seen a 70 mph limit road that couldn't easily support traveling at 105, the 45 in a 30 is a bigger concern to me since that's likely just some side street with red lights and stop signs / some kids playing on it or something
Old 11-20-18, 11:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Yes it can. Entitled a-holes constantly double park, block fire hydrants and crosswalks. This can prevent emergency vehicle parking, block view for pedestrians, force traffic into oncoming lanes, and push bicyclists into traffic.

http://gothamist.com/2018/08/11/tourist_on_bicyclist_killed_by_truc.php

People think their effing car is their personal private space, and they feel they can disregard rules and act like impulsive sociopaths. They don't understand that they are driving on public roads. Drivers license should be a lot harder to get, and a lot easier to be revoked, and private cars should be a lot more expensive to insure and own.
Sure, it "can". But the question was about automated ticketing in 3 specific examples.

If you want to argue that illegal parking is on the same plane as running a red light, then you just want to argue for arguing's sake. I hate self-entitled people that double park, block traffic, and do whatever they feel like doing, but does that mean that we should live in a nanny state that you will automatically get a ticket when you don't park properly in all respects.

Old 11-20-18, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
If you want to argue that illegal parking is on the same plane as running a red light, then you just want to argue for arguing's sake.
I agree with you that, in general, illegal parking is not in the same league as running a red light. But there are some notable exceptions. Making it more difficult for a disabled person by parking in their Handicapped-Space, just because one is lazy and doesn't feel like getting off their a** and walking a few extra steps (perhaps in hot or cold weather) is serious matter, IMO, and deserves a stiff fine. So is illegal parking in fire-lanes, access-lanes at hospitals, and other places that could impede emergency vehicles. People who do these things should be reminded, the hard way, that driving is a Privilege, not a Right.
Old 11-20-18, 11:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you that, in general, illegal parking is not in the same league as running a red light. But there are some notable exceptions. Making it more difficult for a disabled person by parking in their Handicapped-Space, just because one is lazy and doesn't feel like getting off their a** and walking a few extra steps (perhaps in hot or cold weather) is serious matter, IMO, and deserves a stiff fine. So is illegal parking in fire-lanes, access-lanes at hospitals, and other places that could impede emergency vehicles. People who do these things should be reminded, the hard way, that driving is a Privilege, not a Right.
I agree; but please then explain how this infraction would be ticketed by an automated system?
Old 11-20-18, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree; but please then explain how this infraction would be ticketed by an automated system?

One way to start would be for cameras to monitor handicapped spaces and look for legal Handicapped-markers on the license plates or hanging from the inside mirrors...the two most common places for having them. Since cameras are not always foolproof, the registered owner of the car (not necessarily the driver, if the camera cannot determine that) gets a warning in the mail on the first offense. Second one.....the book gets tossed, with a stiff fine.
Old 11-20-18, 12:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I can’t believe so many people are open to giving Computer systems / AI the ability to police them.

I want to stay as far away as possible from technology having any power over me.
When does it stop - if you drive for a minute without your seatbelt = ticket.

Once you start on this path, there will be no end as your phone can rat on you about where you are, who you talk to, what words you use etc.

Legal system is already abused enough in US.
Old 11-20-18, 12:39 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I can’t believe so many people are open to giving Computer systems / AI the ability to police them.

I want to stay as far away as possible from technology having any power over me.
When does it stop - if you drive for a minute without your seatbelt = ticket.

Once you start on this path, there will be no end as your phone can rat on you about where you are, who you talk to, what words you use etc.

Legal system is already abused enough in US.
I'm not for it, but it already exists for professional drivers, with a driver facing cam in addition to the road facing one. Like I said, I tape over the webcam on my corp. laptop. Most sensible people do. Am I sneaky and doing anything illegal? In reality, no. You can watch me all day in public I have nothing to hide. Phones have done it for a long time now, pretty sure many people have fake logins to gmail and apple, but said fake login was tracked. The thing in all of this is enjoy your life. You can't get away with the stunts our grandparents did, but it's not the end of the world. My grandpa told me some doozies.
Old 11-20-18, 12:47 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One way to start would be for cameras to monitor handicapped spaces and look for legal Handicapped-markers on the license plates or hanging from the inside mirrors...the two most common places for having them. Since cameras are not always foolproof, the registered owner of the car (not necessarily the driver, if the camera cannot determine that) gets a warning in the mail on the first offense. Second one.....the book gets tossed, with a stiff fine.
We could actually even put some effort into it. Last time I rode a subway in Oslo, I didn't need to pay, I was hanging with 26 y.o. girls. Same thing this summer in Toronto on the GO train. Meaning, no physical barriers to entry. All aboard! In Norway, it looked to me that one could ride free 95% of the time. The other 5% you're busted by someone asking to see your ticket. In Toronto, it was immediate. This is the way it should be--I don't need to bar physical entry--you get on without a ticket you're gonna face consequences. Just as there are people checking for payment of public parking, they can check to see the driver is actually disabled. I thought about it. You get out of your car with a legal handicapped permit, and you race me to the front door of the venue? Your ailment just happens to be ok today? Well, then you should have parked in a regular space, and have left the space for someone who needs it, today. Using dark sunglasses, a fake service dog, this should be dealt with more harshly. The abuse with the HOV lane in Seattle was imho a disgrace. Lots of things we let slide, for what reason, I dunno. Imho abuse of a handicapped space should be one strike, you're out--financially, and civilly.

Quick Reply: Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?