Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 06:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i think the regulations should be in place almost exclusively to protect other people from bad drivers, there should be nothing in place to stop dumb people from hurting themselves though. i'd be totally happy if it was mandatory to take the road test with a manual car, that'd be the first test to weed out anyone not coordinated and competent enough lol..

the ability to multitask also isn't tested enough. i've seen many people where the physical act of driving the car is putting them at like their max capacity, which is not safe. this will probably get some backlash lol but i think you should have to prove that you at least can text and drive, it shows an ability to manage multiple tasks at once which is often required while driving. particularly if it's a dark, rainy night, or if it's snow/sleet conditions. passing a test for something as significant as driving a car should demonstrate that you can comfortably cope when things are the worst, not just barely hang on when the going is easy and straightforward.

also, all tickets do for the most part is make money for who's issuing them, they do nothing to address the actual problem that so many people literally don't know how to drive properly. and since cars are essentially just computers nowadays, any kind of automated ticket system could be disabled by someone with enough technical knowhow, which could then be sold as a product alongside tunes and other software mods. and even if that were made illegal, which it probably would be, people will still find a work around. with enough motivation, humans can be very clever when they need to be.
When you say "disabled by someone with enough technical knowhow...." It doesn't even have to be technical. It really irks me when someone drives around with a fake license plate, i.e. printed on a Canon imageRUNNER, then encased in a plastic covering. Yet nobody stops them. The last one I saw was last Friday--the letters and numbers are not the correct dimension, I can see that with my human eyes. The other one is illegal tints. In PA, that basically is any tint when you look at the numbers. So that means any car with a tint, is not legal, except when from the factory (I don't get this exception, my wife's GM is 19% from the rear windows back, from the factory, so legal). Yet cars drive around for years with windshield and all windows as dark as my wife's 19%.

How about the fake Thule bike rack obscuring the license plate? That effectively defeats a rlc or speed cam.

No matter what we may think about automated enforcement, don't be a martyr. Look out for yourself and your family, likely by driving defensively.
Old 11-21-18, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Umm...no. Read all the SCOTUS rulings related to the 4th amendment. Just because you are undertaking an action that is a "privilege" and not a "right" doesn't mean you give up your right to privacy and freedoms against unreasonable search and seizure.
While the 4th Amendment indeed remains in force (it is part of the Constitution), the physical act of driving is not an automatic part of it. One is not born with it, nor is it something that is automatically given to you just because you are a citizen. If it were, there would be no licensing, no traffic laws, no fines, no license renewals, no license suspensions/revocations, and no legal reason to stop when a police car follows you with lights and/or siren on.

In fact, some things are not regulated enough. When you have 90-year-old people running their cars into the sides of buildings because they can no longer tell the accelerator pedal from the brake (and still have a valid license with them) something is clearly out of kilter.

And it you think that auto-licensing is tough, you should see what I went through for my Airman's (Pilot's) License...and how long and thorough that took. The two are not even in the same world...but I won't get too deeply into that here, as it is the subject for another thread.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Driving is not a constitutional right, it's a regulated privilege that comes with a lot of restrictions, conditions and responsibility. In the US drivers kill on average 40,000 people per year, and maim 2.3 million people per year, so clearly more regulation is required to save drivers from their worst enemy - themselves.

Ideally private cars should be banned, at least in major cities, but that's not likely to happen in the foreseeable future. But it's only matter of time until we'll start seeing automated ticketing systems integrated into cars and public roads/traffic devices.
So why do you own cars then? Why don't you put your money where you mouth is and live a safer, more responsible car free lifestyle? You don't have to wait for something to be banned before doing what you think is "ideal".
Old 11-21-18, 07:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So why do you own cars then? Why don't you put your money where you mouth is and live a safer, more responsible car free lifestyle? You don't have to wait for something to be banned before doing what you think is "ideal".
I've barely used my car since I got a bicycle earlier this year.
Old 11-22-18, 04:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I've barely used my car since I got a bicycle earlier this year.
Then put up and get rid of them. Lead by example.
Old 11-22-18, 06:24 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Driving is not a constitutional right, it's a regulated privilege that comes with a lot of restrictions, conditions and responsibility. In the US drivers kill on average 40,000 people per year, and maim 2.3 million people per year, so clearly more regulation is required to save drivers from their worst enemy - themselves.

Ideally private cars should be banned, at least in major cities, but that's not likely to happen in the foreseeable future. But it's only matter of time until we'll start seeing automated ticketing systems integrated into cars and public roads/traffic devices.
you clearly dont understand your own civil rights. A cop cant just walk up and search your car for no reason. Just because driving is a privilege doesnt mean you lose your civil rights. What you are proposing clearly violates the 4A protection against unreasonable search and seizures and 5A to self incrimination. Owning a house isnt a constitutional right, can cops just show up and search it?

How does these automated systems know who is driving so a criminal charge can be placed? How do you face your accuser in court when its a computer? You are proposing an immense nanny police state here without even understanding your own civil rights.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,[a] against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 11-22-18 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-22-18, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you clearly dont understand your own civil rights. A cop cant just walk up and search your car for no reason.
Cops don't waste their time searching vehicles for no reason. They are obviously looking for something....usually contraband or drunken-drivers, and usually have a reason to do so. In most cases, BTW, courts have ruled sobriety checkpoints to be legal, particularly on days like today (Thanksgiving) when lots of people will be drinking.

Owning a house isnt a constitutional right, can cops just show up and search it?
They can indeed, with a legally-signed warrant, and/or other strong legitimate reason for doing so.

How does these automated systems know who is driving so a criminal charge can be placed?
Right now, they don't, unless the driver's face can be clearly photographed (and many tinted-glass vehicles or sun-glare prevent that). So, the fine is usually mailed to the car's registered owner. If he or she was not driving the vehicle, they can contest it...there are established procedures for that in each state. But, as the system stands now, there are no points on one's license for it (and no criminal charge), so it's probably not worth the hassle of contesting it unless it is a really big fine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-18 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-22-18, 06:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

A good start would be for a car to scan the drivers license before it could be put in gear and driven. The car could check that the drivers license is valid and current, and identify the driver.
Old 11-22-18, 06:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then put up and get rid of them. Lead by example.
I love my car for the technological masterpiece that it is (BMW M2), but I don't like drivers or driving anymore. If I couldn't afford it, and could only afford something like a Camry, I wouldn't own a car at all.
Old 11-22-18, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
A good start would be for a car to scan the drivers license before it could be put in gear and driven. The car could check that the drivers license is valid and current, and identify the driver.
Not a bad idea for security, except that it would be a PITA to be constantly taking your license in and out of your wallet (I keep my license and insurance card in a secure interior wallet-compartment) and scan it every time you want to start the engine. It would also make it a PITA for mechanics or technicians in repair or service shops to start it up, as they often have to.
Old 11-22-18, 07:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you clearly dont understand your own civil rights. A cop cant just walk up and search your car for no reason. Just because driving is a privilege doesnt mean you lose your civil rights. What you are proposing clearly violates the 4A protection against unreasonable search and seizures and 5A to self incrimination. Owning a house isnt a constitutional right, can cops just show up and search it?
There is a difference between an unwarranted search, and automatic reporting of violations that drivers commit on public roads.
Old 11-22-18, 07:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not a bad idea for security, except that it would be a PITA to be constantly taking your license in and out of your wallet (I keep my license and insurance card in a secure interior wallet-compartment) and scan it every time you want to start the engine. It would also make it a PITA for mechanics or technicians in repair or service shops to start it up, as they often have to.
Might be a PITA, but well worth it. Read the statistics, about 20% of fatal accidents in the US are caused by unlicensed drivers - 8,000 deaths per year on average.
Old 11-22-18, 09:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Cops don't waste their time searching vehicles for no reason. They are obviously looking for something....usually contraband or drunken-drivers, and usually have a reason to do so. In most cases, BTW, courts have ruled sobriety checkpoints to be legal, particularly on days like today (Thanksgiving) when lots of people will be drinking.
You clearly have not kept up on social issues in this country over the past few years. This is at the forefront of racial profiling.
Old 11-22-18, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
excellent idea or other form of authentication, could even be nfc and just put your phone near the key hole or button to confirm it's 'you'. sure someone could steal a phone too but it lowers chance of being driven by an unauthorized person immensely.

but we know half of the country would be apoplectic saying that's profiling.
Old 11-22-18, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You clearly have not kept up on social issues in this country over the past few years. This is at the forefront of racial profiling.

While not entirely non-existant, the idea of racial "profiling" is more fantasy than fact. The primary job of police is to catch crooks, regardless of what color skin they have....and the average cop couldn't care less how many arrests he or she makes based on race. If a cop bags a load of cocaine, heroin, or other contraband, he or she will have done his or her job, no matter who is running it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-18 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?