Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best lexus commercial in years...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18 | 01:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Don't feed the troll.

That is a great ad I agree.
+1 on both fronts.
Old 11-22-18 | 01:59 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Interesting ad, but mainly because of the AI angle leveraging Watson to assist the creative folks in the story line. Watson has also been used to build trailers for movies and does a pretty good job of choosing scenes and music.
IMO, millions of dollars are spent on semi autonomous safety systems because it's the crawl-before-we-walk approach to full autonomy. Not only do people not now how to keep a safe following distance, a ton of people just don't know how to drive... Period. Computers/machines will do a better job and this is the start of how you correct the problem.
Agreed. However if that ad was made by AI then it sucks. Something something everyone is safe.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does it really make you sick? Really? Guess car co's shouldn't have spent 'millions' on airbags, anti lock brakes, blind spot detection, crumple zones, etc. either.
what else makes you sick? That people will eat way too much on Thanksgiving because they can't eat 'sensibly'?
i think you just like to complain and criticize because it makes you feel superior somehow.

It does make me sik because I can drive safely without all of those gadgets, with the exception of airbags. How? When I drive, I put myself in a position where I will never call on these gadgets to save my life.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll agree with part of what you say about following distance, but you also have to take into account (and I don't think you are doing so), that some roads have so much traffic on them that the traditional one-car-length following per 10 mph of speed is either impossible or exceedingly difficult to maintain.
I maintain the one car length per 10 miles at all times except when traveling under 10mph. My gap can become so large at times that it looks silly and I burst out laughing.

Even if you DO briefly maintain it, someone will inevitably cut in. The good part, however, is that brakes and stopping distances are generally better now than they were when I learned to drive (some Fords are an exception...they were always good), so you don't always need as much room as before.
You can't depend on your car for safety. There are just too many different factors that can hurt you.

I won't call you a troll like some have done, but I will give some friendly advice....if I don't like an ad, I simply turn it off.
You can't avoid ads even if you wanted to. All of those billboards at Times Square are illegal.

Last edited by theory816; 11-22-18 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-22-18 | 04:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I wonder how much of that "scripted by AI" is a bs exaggeration.
a lot?

otherwise, good ad and safety systems are cool and ES looks really good in it.
Old 11-22-18 | 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by theory816
I maintain the one car length per 10 miles at all times except when traveling under 10mph. My gap can become so large at times that it looks silly and I burst out laughing.
That's fine, when possible. But the traffic level (and the determination of some drivers to constantly cut in front of you) on some roads makes that impossible. Just try that, for example, on the Interstate highways in and around D.C. or Los Angeles....you won't get anywhere.
Old 11-22-18 | 01:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I do not think this is an outstanding commercial. The data mining of what makes a great commercial does not blow my mind, however if someone wants to tell how AI predicting what makes a good commercial is so great, then I am all ears.
Old 11-22-18 | 02:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Interesting ad, but mainly because of the AI angle leveraging Watson to assist the creative folks in the story line. Watson has also been used to build trailers for movies and does a pretty good job of choosing scenes and music.
I was not aware that Watson builds movie trailers. I wonder the the box office revenue is for Watson made ads vs non.
Old 11-24-18 | 09:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Seeing how nobody tried to explain how AI predicting a advertisement was supposed to be a breakthrough.

I will propose that Adweek having to dissect what is going on is proof and evidence the Ad is a failure and is indeed nothing special (need to click continue reading)

https://www.adweek.com/programmatic/...-was-thinking/
Old 11-24-18 | 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Seeing how nobody tried to explain how AI predicting a advertisement was supposed to be a breakthrough.

I will propose that Adweek having to dissect what is going on is proof and evidence the Ad is a failure and is indeed nothing special (need to click continue reading)

https://www.adweek.com/programmatic/...-was-thinking/
it's self-evidently a breakthrough because no one has done it before.

maybe you don't think much of the fact the ibm's watson beat the greatest chess master of all time, or wiped the floor of the greatest jeopardy champion either.

and without an account i can't read that whole ad week article.
Old 11-24-18 | 08:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

maybe you don't think much of the fact the ibm's watson beat the greatest chess master of all time, or wiped the floor of the greatest jeopardy champion either.
M
Was not aware of that.
Old 11-25-18 | 11:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

and without an account i can't read that whole ad week article.
I can help there, @bitkahuna. If you put the title of the Adweek article (below) into Google News, it will pull up the story and bypass the Adweek paywall when you click the Google News link.

Article title: An AI Tried to Write the Perfect Lexus Ad. Here’s a Scene-by-Scene Look at What It Was Thinking

Doesn't always work, but it often does. It worked for me on this story - it's worth a read and explains why this is indeed a groundbreaking spot.

Old 11-25-18 | 10:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
it's worth a read and explains why this is indeed a groundbreaking spot.
Thx for tip and this...
Old 11-26-18 | 07:23 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Was not aware of that.
The Jeopardy event is what really created a household name for Watson, although many people (sounds like including you) still aren't aware of the incredible feat. Watson is being applied in virtually every industry and you are likely interacting with a company/business using Watson way more often than you'd think (don't forget IBM bought "The Weather Company" so if you go to weather.com you're having Watson's help). Watson is even used to scour articles and info on NFL players to help people make better fantasy football picks each week. Google IBM Watson Jeopardy and you'll find some good articles- takes some time to read but it's worth it to understand how incredible this was and therefore how it's being applied into other verticals.

Lexus fed Watson 15 years worth of highly-acclaimed luxury car commercials so Watson could "watch" them and understand elements that make a good commercial - the same concept is being applied into things like healthcare where Watson can ingest millions of medical studies and help physicians make more informed decisions based on outcomes, etc.
Old 11-26-18 | 12:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ great post, thanks.