Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best lexus commercial in years...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Default Best lexus commercial in years...

For the new es... a european ad, that apparently isn't aimed at tv (streaming?).
the ad was created by artificial intelligence https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...ld-1203030693/

Old 11-19-18, 09:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
For the new es... a european ad, that apparently isn't aimed at tv (streaming?).
the ad was created by artificial intelligence

Interesting ad. Not as slick as the old James Sloyan ads, but I've seen lots worse. Unfortunately, I don't think the latest 7Gen ES itself (and, to an extent, the 5Gen and 6 Gen before it), quite measures up to the superb 4th.
Old 11-19-18, 10:37 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh. Makes me sick that millions of dollars are spent on semi autonomous safety systems simply because people don't know how to keep a safe following distance.

Last edited by theory816; 11-19-18 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 03:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Meh. Makes me sick that millions of dollars are spent on semi autonomous safety systems simply because people don't know how to keep a safe following distance.
Interesting ad, but mainly because of the AI angle leveraging Watson to assist the creative folks in the story line. Watson has also been used to build trailers for movies and does a pretty good job of choosing scenes and music.

IMO, millions of dollars are spent on semi autonomous safety systems because it's the crawl-before-we-walk approach to full autonomy. Not only do people not now how to keep a safe following distance, a ton of people just don't know how to drive... Period. Computers/machines will do a better job and this is the start of how you correct the problem.
Old 11-20-18, 06:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Don't feed the troll.

That is a great ad I agree.
Old 11-20-18, 06:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

does it really make you sick? Really? Guess car co's shouldn't have spent 'millions' on airbags, anti lock brakes, blind spot detection, crumple zones, etc. either.

what else makes you sick? That people will eat way too much on Thanksgiving because they can't eat 'sensibly'?

i think you just like to complain and criticize because it makes you feel superior somehow.
Old 11-20-18, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

He's just trolling like he always does. I report it and report it. Now this thread will be all about his circus over "being responsible" blah blah blah instead of about this ad.
Old 11-20-18, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll agree with part of what you say about following distance, but you also have to take into account (and I don't think you are doing so), that some roads have so much traffic on them that the traditional one-car-length following per 10 mph of speed is either impossible or exceedingly difficult to maintain. Even if you DO briefly maintain it, someone will inevitably cut in. The good part, however, is that brakes and stopping distances are generally better now than they were when I learned to drive (some Fords are an exception...they were always good), so you don't always need as much room as before. What concerns me, however, is that devices that don't allow vehicles to get any closer than a certain minimum distance will make it even harder to get on some roads, because they will constantly be holding some vehicles back and won't allow them to merge with traffic.

I won't call you a troll like some have done, but I will give some friendly advice....if I don't like an ad, I simply turn it off.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-18 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-20-18, 08:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder how much of that "scripted by AI" is a bs exaggeration.
Old 11-20-18, 09:22 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I wonder how much of that "scripted by AI" is a bs exaggeration.
Little to none. There is almost no limit to how much a super computer like Watson can "ingest" (reading or "watching") and so you can feed Watson thousands and thousands of commercials, movies, and it can make sense of everything and identify patterns that it knows will illicit the right type of reaction from the audience. Pretty interesting application of AI.
Old 11-20-18, 10:07 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Cool commercial.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Little to none. There is almost no limit to how much a super computer like Watson can "ingest" (reading or "watching") and so you can feed Watson thousands and thousands of commercials, movies, and it can make sense of everything and identify patterns that it knows will illicit the right type of reaction from the audience. Pretty interesting application of AI.
100% agree, I've seen some pretty impressive AI applications in the security world both on cyber and physical side with how they learn and predict behavior. Some of the Hollywood AI movies aren't too far fetched. The big question is who will set the rules and what are those rules on how much AI should do.
Old 11-21-18, 09:37 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

How clickbait is the title thread? Best Lexus commercial in years...sure.
Old 11-21-18, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
How clickbait is the title thread? Best Lexus commercial in years...sure.
wasn't intended, i truly believe it's the best lexus commercial i've seen in years. how about you share which one you think is better or best?
Old 11-21-18, 11:26 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wasn't intended, i truly believe it's the best lexus commercial i've seen in years. how about you share which one you think is better or best?
Plated in Gold!
Old 11-21-18, 12:48 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ now thats a good ad.

Quick Reply: Best lexus commercial in years...