Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Ford Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You've clearly decided you don't like these vehicles Mike lol

Defects or not, I have a lot of respect for the Aviator (almost bought its little brother Corsair) ...not so much for the Explorer.
Old 12-18-20, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,963 Posts

We can tell lol
Old 12-18-20, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
We can tell lol
My (accurate) statement stands. I like the Aviator.....not the Explorer.
Old 12-23-20, 07:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Recall number 10...If your driveshaft doesn't detach, your engine might!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...rce=reddit.com

The number of SUVs involved in the recall are rather small, but still, it's another problem Ford and its service centers need to address. This time it's for potentially bad motor mounts. Over time, the motor mounts may loosen and disconnect from the engine altogether. If this happens, drivers will experience a sudden loss of power, which increases the risk of a crash. Ford said it's not aware of any crashes or injuries involving the problem, however.

A total of 1,405 Explorer and Aviator SUVs from the 2020-2021 model years are included in the recall, and owners of the batch will need to bring their vehicle to a dealership for a fix. There, a technician will replace right-hand motor mount fasteners to keep everything where it should be. Expect mailed notices to send out this coming February.

Once again, it's a relatively small number of vehicles. But seriously, this should not be a thing in a MY2021 vehicle.
Old 12-23-20, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29

I think I already posted that, geko (see Post#176 in this thread)...but it won't hurt to repost it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-20 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-23-20, 08:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Once again, it's a relatively small number of vehicles. But seriously, this should not be a thing in a MY2021 vehicle.
The article doesn't say, but I wonder if any Police Interceptors are effected? Maybe the heavy duty drive train is exempted?
Old 12-23-20, 08:26 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think I already posted that, geko (see Post#176 in this thread)...but it won't hurt to repost it.
That was about the driveshaft recall, issued a little over a month ago. This is a new recall on the engine mounts, announced just two days ago (Monday the 21st).

But they're coming in such a rapid fire succession, I can't say I can blame anyone for assuming they're the same recall.
Old 12-23-20, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That was about the driveshaft recall, issued a little over a month ago. This is a new recall on the engine mounts, announced just two days ago (Monday the 21st).

But they're coming in such a rapid fire succession, I can't say I can blame anyone for assuming they're the same recall.

Yes, this 2020 Explorer rollout has certainly been quite an issue. Even apart from the QC problems, not my cup of tea for other reasons as well. But one also (including myself) has to respect the number of people who do like and buy/lease Explorers. It's been a hit since the initial rollout some 30 years ago, and has had staying power even with the Firestone-Wilderness-Tire/rollover issue. Of course, today, it also has a lot of other mid-sized competition that, 30 years ago, came pretty much from the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 02-24-21, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2021 Ford Explorer gets the King Ranch treatment

Ford is bringing the Western-themed King Ranch treatment to the hot-selling Explorer for the first time. Created by popular demand, the Explorer King Ranch gains numerous trim-specific upscale accents inside and out.

As has typically been the case, the exterior modifications are relatively subtle. King Ranch models gain 20-inch wheels, a mesh grille finished in Stone Gray, quad exhaust tips, and a sprinkling of W-shaped brand emblems. It's what's inside that counts here. Ford added two-tone Del Rio leather upholstery as well as Sapele wood trim on the dashboard and on the steering wheel. W-shaped brands appear on the seatbacks and on the center armrest.

Motorists who want to complement the old-school look with cutting-edge technology can order the optional Premium Technology package. It bundles multi-contour front seats with a massage function, a 10.1-inch touchscreen on the center stack, and a 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system tuned specifically for the Explorer's cabin.

Power for the King Ranch comes from a 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 that develops 365 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. It spins the rear or the four wheels via a 10-speed automatic transmission; Ford points out the King Ranch is the only Explorer offered with the V6 and rear-wheel-drive. The SUV can tow up to 5,600 pounds thanks in part to a standard Trailer Tow package, while the Co-Pilot360 suite of technology brings numerous electronic driving aids.

Ford stores across the United States will begin receiving the 2021 Explorer King Ranch in the spring, about 20 years after the firm's first King Ranch-branded model, the 2001 F-150, made its debut. Pricing starts at $52,350 for the rear-wheel-drive model and $54,350 for the four-wheel-drive version. Looking ahead, the King Ranch will be joined in showrooms by a more off-road-oriented Explorer that might be called FX4 or Timberline.
Source
Old 02-24-21, 11:47 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ford loves their King Ranch versions. I don't see the super Western themed versions doing all that well outside of the lower Midwest. Just hope the interior panel fitment has gotten better for the Explorer.

Old 02-24-21, 01:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

That interior just doesn't do it for me. Lots of cheap looking plastic.
Old 02-24-21, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I can't prove it, but I strongly suspect that Ford came up with a King Ranch version to placate the number of people who just couldn't stomach the regular interiors on this latest Explorer version. And I have to admit that, overall, at least in the images, it is a major improvement,

Originally Posted by JDR76
That interior just doesn't do it for me. Lots of cheap looking plastic.
IMO it's hard to tell, from the images if it is cheap plastic or not. The base Explorer interior certainly has LOTS of cheap plastic, but that King-Ranch interior in the images looks pretty sharp....almost Lincoln-Aviator-grade. With something like that, you don't really know until you actually get int he vehicle and physically examine the materials yourself.

But that doesn't change the design of some of the interior features, though, that IMO were poorly-done, like the rotary-shifter, center-screen, and the awkward-placement of the engine start/stop button.
Old 02-24-21, 10:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't think adding a more expensive Explorer is the way to go. The vehicle is already having trouble selling. Lower prices would help that problem.
Also too bad they gave it the same rims as the existing top model. There's not enough external changes to capture people's eye when seen on the road. Missed opportunity.

Old 02-25-21, 07:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't think adding a more expensive Explorer is the way to go. The vehicle is already having trouble selling. Lower prices would help that problem.
Also too bad they gave it the same rims as the existing top model. There's not enough external changes to capture people's eye when seen on the road. Missed opportunity.
That's not correct. The Explorer was the the 13th best selling car last year. It's sales rose 21 percent compared to 2019 when Ford was struggling with the initial sales launch of this new model.
Old 02-25-21, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Its also not a more expensive Explorer. The King Ranch is usually a little cheaper than the Platinum, and it is here too. Slots in between the Limited and Platinum.

If I were buying an Explorer I'd consider this trim.

Quick Reply: 2020 Ford Explorer