Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Ford Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 05:42 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cool thanks, I'd be interested in

Transmission response
Turning circle
Agility (for a vehicle its size)
Latest version of Sync (ease of use etc..)
Transmission is a bit of a mixed bag. I've sampled this 10 speed in both GM products and Ford products over the years. Lots of gears obviously makes it tough for an engine to rapidly decide what gear to select, especially in every single situation. Shifts can be smooth when it typically knows what to do next (full throttle acceleration runs), but any sort of mid-throttle seems to put the transmission out of sorts with the power band. A bit odd given how closely the ratios are spaced. Even light throttle around town type acceleration, the 1 to 2 shift can often be a bit jarring. I think that this is mostly a software issue so perhaps Ford can continue to refine this. The GM I had a few weeks ago was a bit better, but was also was paired with a V8 vs a turbo 6. Both companies have applied the 10 speed in production vehicles for a few years now, so who knows. Should definitely be a bit more polished given the lighting quick ZF 8 Speed that dominates much of the market.

Turning circle was fine, no issues there. Was able to flip u-turns wherever needed and easy to slot into a parking spot.

Agility seems to be quite good given the size of the vehicle. As noted by Steve, the Explorer feels fairly substantive, but not in an overly heavy way. It feels buttoned down. Road impacts are settled quickly, minimal low frequency vibration makes its way into the cabin or upsets the steering. Steering is fairly direct and quick, but in no way twitchy. Not as overly boosted as the Tahoe/Yukon's typically are. You can attack an on/off ramp with supreme confidence.

New Sync has good responsiveness, sometimes there'd be a little lag, but nothing super terrible. Touchscreen buttons are all pretty large in size. Appreciate the volume and tune *****, as well as hard controls for HVAC etc. The Portrait screen isn't really optimized, it seems like they are trying to modularly put things into the large portrait screen from the standard size, more landscape oriented screens. Will test out more of the voice controls over the coming days/week.
Old 04-11-20, 05:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
The QC issues aside, how is the ride quality and performance of the 3.5L?
As I noted a bit in the response above, I think the ride quality is really good. I would say a bit more composed than even the Telluride SX I had a month or so ago. The Telluride is a bit softer overall, but didn't feel as planted as the Explorer. I would say this Explorer was fairly close to my wife's 2019 X5 M Sport in terms of ride. No adaptive dampers on the Explorer, but still perhaps the most polished part of the Explorer.

Performance of the 3.5L V6 is also quite strong. It's nowhere near as smooth as the X5's turbo inline 6 though. The engine sounds quite coarse, especially at high rpms. The EcoBoost is rated at 365 HP and 380 lb-ft, a good chunk more than the BMW at 335 and 330. They both have curb weights around 4800 pounds. Motor Trend put the BMW 0 to 60 around 5.0 seconds while the higher power ST was only able to get 5.3. So this Platinum would stand to be slightly slower still. So the 10 speed is probably targeted more for efficiency than speed, and BMW notoriously underrates power. That said, this is all a good chunk faster than any typical 3 row mainstream family hauler!

I really want to love this Explorer, just doesn't feel fully baked at this point. And as other's have said, the MSRP is ridiculous, but Ford obviously has huge discounts. We'll see how the rest of our time together goes. Need to sample the Aviator to see how that might solve some of the interior fit/finish and refinement issues, for not much more than this Platinum tops out at.
Old 04-11-20, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Even light throttle around town type acceleration, the 1 to 2 shift can often be a bit jarring. I think that this is mostly a software issue so perhaps Ford can continue to refine this.
Often, as you say, it is a case of software and programming, but getting the transmission's valve-body right itself can also be tricky. That's what the transmission fluid actually flows through to govern shifts. Too much or too little fluid with the shifts, and the temperature/density of the fluid itself (cold or warm transmission) can affect the shift-quality and feel, either allowing too much of a solid bump, or slowing flare/slip.
Old 04-11-20, 07:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Absolutely not. From someone who is constantly evaluating new cars, particularly around build quality. It's hard to point to something this bad in recent memory, especially for a production example. We have a Pacifica within the family as well.
Can't remember if I mentioned it. In NC on a business back in Jan, trip I took yet another Altima, and later that night I noticed from the back, there was a dent on the rear right 1/4! Well you probably can imagine I called the 800#, went off-shore, and was told to call roadside assist. wth

So I went back to the airport as if I were returning, and didn't know what would happen. I told the person look at this dent, I came back asap because I didn't do it and didn't want to be charged. He said no prob, checked the car back in and handed me a paper ticket that was not the normal receipt. I went to the area where you get a car, and the guy there said you want to keep the Altima? We won't charge you. I said I'd feel more comfortable with a new car. He goes no problem get an executive one, wait, I'll get you one, here this Pacifica has the lowest miles.

I had it a week. It did seem to have very good fit/finish. It wasn't great but ok on gasoline. I would have to say me, I'd prefer a crossover, but that's me. But the heated wheel struck me as being very good quality the way it was stitched. The transmission **** was different to me.
Old 04-11-20, 11:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,660 Posts

let's get back to the explorer please.
Old 04-13-20, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,986 Posts

I really want to love this Explorer, just doesn't feel fully baked at this point. And as other's have said, the MSRP is ridiculous, but Ford obviously has huge discounts. We'll see how the rest of our time together goes. Need to sample the Aviator to see how that might solve some of the interior fit/finish and refinement issues, for not much more than this Platinum tops out at.
The Aviator does solve the interior issues and it does feel more refined.
Old 04-13-20, 10:34 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

Transmission is a bit of a mixed bag. I've sampled this 10 speed in both GM products and Ford products over the years. Lots of gears obviously makes it tough for an engine to rapidly decide what gear to select, especially in every single situation. Shifts can be smooth when it typically knows what to do next (full throttle acceleration runs), but any sort of mid-throttle seems to put the transmission out of sorts with the power band. A bit odd given how closely the ratios are spaced. Even light throttle around town type acceleration, the 1 to 2 shift can often be a bit jarring. I think that this is mostly a software issue so perhaps Ford can continue to refine this. The GM I had a few weeks ago was a bit better, but was also was paired with a V8 vs a turbo 6. Both companies have applied the 10 speed in production vehicles for a few years now, so who knows. Should definitely be a bit more polished given the lighting quick ZF 8 Speed that dominates much of the market.

Turning circle was fine, no issues there. Was able to flip u-turns wherever needed and easy to slot into a parking spot.

Agility seems to be quite good given the size of the vehicle. As noted by Steve, the Explorer feels fairly substantive, but not in an overly heavy way. It feels buttoned down. Road impacts are settled quickly, minimal low frequency vibration makes its way into the cabin or upsets the steering. Steering is fairly direct and quick, but in no way twitchy. Not as overly boosted as the Tahoe/Yukon's typically are. You can attack an on/off ramp with supreme confidence.

New Sync has good responsiveness, sometimes there'd be a little lag, but nothing super terrible. Touchscreen buttons are all pretty large in size. Appreciate the volume and tune *****, as well as hard controls for HVAC etc. The Portrait screen isn't really optimized, it seems like they are trying to modularly put things into the large portrait screen from the standard size, more landscape oriented screens. Will test out more of the voice controls over the coming days/week.
Thanks for taking the time
Old 04-13-20, 04:30 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Based on the one I drove it’s pretty good. The Explorer feels more truckish and less catlike than other crossovers, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The 3.5L is a screamer.
Yeah, I got the feeling it would be more truck-like than some of the other crossovers it competes with. The only experience I have with the 3.5L was in an Expedition Max rental I had last year and it felt, to my surprise, quite capable in that vehicle so I imagine it's even better in an Explorer.
Old 04-13-20, 04:35 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

As I noted a bit in the response above, I think the ride quality is really good. I would say a bit more composed than even the Telluride SX I had a month or so ago. The Telluride is a bit softer overall, but didn't feel as planted as the Explorer. I would say this Explorer was fairly close to my wife's 2019 X5 M Sport in terms of ride. No adaptive dampers on the Explorer, but still perhaps the most polished part of the Explorer.

Performance of the 3.5L V6 is also quite strong. It's nowhere near as smooth as the X5's turbo inline 6 though. The engine sounds quite coarse, especially at high rpms. The EcoBoost is rated at 365 HP and 380 lb-ft, a good chunk more than the BMW at 335 and 330. They both have curb weights around 4800 pounds. Motor Trend put the BMW 0 to 60 around 5.0 seconds while the higher power ST was only able to get 5.3. So this Platinum would stand to be slightly slower still. So the 10 speed is probably targeted more for efficiency than speed, and BMW notoriously underrates power. That said, this is all a good chunk faster than any typical 3 row mainstream family hauler!

Thanks for sharing your experience and comparison to the N55 in the X5. I've been researching 3rd row SUVs and the Explorer/Aviator as two that I briefly thought about it. It was until recently, however, that I started to consider an X5 with the 3rd row option so I definitely appreciate the comparison you made.

Maybe you mentioned it and I missed it, but is the Explorer you're driving around AWD or is it RWD?
Old 04-13-20, 06:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Thanks for sharing your experience and comparison to the N55 in the X5. I've been researching 3rd row SUVs and the Explorer/Aviator as two that I briefly thought about it. It was until recently, however, that I started to consider an X5 with the 3rd row option so I definitely appreciate the comparison you made.

Maybe you mentioned it and I missed it, but is the Explorer you're driving around AWD or is it RWD?
It's an AWD Platinum, stickers just at $61K. Insanity. I'll try to gather more thoughts around it and put up some more pictures once work slows down. I can't imagine anyone fitting in the 3rd row of the X5, but I haven't sat in one myself (not super common option from what I understand, especially now that X7 debuted). I'm 6'0" and headroom was quite good in the Explorer's 3rd row, seat bottom cushion is mounted a bit low, so you're a bit knees up, but not terrible for a night out with friends, etc. They could have traded seat bottom height for headroom in my opinion.
Old 04-13-20, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I wasn't even that impressed with the X7's 3rd row room so can't imagine how cramped it is in the X5!
Old 04-13-20, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

X7's third row is quite good, one of the best out there.
Old 04-13-20, 08:19 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
X7's third row is quite good, one of the best out there.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I wasn't even that impressed with the X7's 3rd row room so can't imagine how cramped it is in the X5!
It's an AWD Platinum, stickers just at $61K. Insanity. I'll try to gather more thoughts around it and put up some more pictures once work slows down. I can't imagine anyone fitting in the 3rd row of the X5, but I haven't sat in one myself (not super common option from what I understand, especially now that X7 debuted). I'm 6'0" and headroom was quite good in the Explorer's 3rd row, seat bottom cushion is mounted a bit low, so you're a bit knees up, but not terrible for a night out with friends, etc. They could have traded seat bottom height for headroom in my opinion.
Yeah, I would never think to get a normal sized adult in the back of an X5, or maybe other 3rd SUVs for that matter, on a regular basis. It's more for occasional usage, most likely by kids. My kids are both under 5 years old, so I don't imagine "needing" to use it for very long. Once they get old enough, if we're finding that we're using it a lot, we'd have to consider a different vehicle anyway, IMO.

The Explorer's 3rd row wasn't bad; but that MSRP is "crazy" high. I know they could never get that, but still the thought of that even being the starting point is crazy (ST and Limited trims). That's probably the biggest reason we ruled out the Aviator quite quickly - my builds keep ending up around $75-80K!
Old 04-13-20, 08:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Not everyone wants or needs a big third row Ford wants you to move up and pay more for more 3rd row space in the Expedition. People are willing to pay more for some American branded vehicles which is why the price point is so high. They won’t pay the higher prices for Hyundai, Toyota of Honda, Lexus and Acura fit that spot The new Explorer has turbos and up to 400hp, so someone has to pay. Also, people who like Americans cars like the materials, so I don’t expect the Ford to satisfy people on a Lexus forum. I personally like the styling of the new Explorer.
Old 04-13-20, 09:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Explorer’s third row is pretty good.

If third row space doesn’t interest you Jill, just don’t take part in conversations about third rows. We don’t need to hear that not everyone cares about third rows every time we choose to discuss them.

As for price, the pricing on the Explorer, especially the Platinum is insane. Understanding that a $10k discount is achievable easily helps. I don’t think there’s much argument that people are willing to pay more for American cars, it’s the opposite from my experience.

As for materials in a Ford not meeting expectations on a Lexus forum. It’s not choice of materials it’s build quality. Expectations are met here with VW, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Kia, even GM...not sure why Ford would be any different. I happen to like Fords, but the pricing and build quality on the Explorer is out of whack.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-13-20 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Ford Explorer