Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 12:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Trump and Trudeau are going to do what they want to do, regardless of what any of us think.
True, but I don't think they'll do anything. Trump will move on to the next big issue soon.

Cutbacks, though, are not always the right thing to do....especially when you are talking about a company as big as GM. That's why the politicians are getting involved this time. That's THEM saying it, not just me.
Of course, no one said cutbacks are always the right thing to do. But they're not always the wrong thing to do, either.

As for why they're involved this time, it's because Trump made promises that he has no power/ability to keep (no job losses), not GM's size. My employer is the biggest aerospace company in the world, the largest exporter in the United States and the 5th largest defense contractor in the world, employing over 140k people. 20k+ layoffs, and Trump didn't get all riled up like this.

Last edited by JDR76; 12-04-18 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It's not just a question of keeping the factories open, but what is actually produced in those factories. There are several different issues at stake here, not just layoffs.

And, you're a mod. If you think responses are repetitious or unnecessary, you have the power to delete them.
I see how frustrated you are. GM has the capacity to close these plants and import the cars from China. I am assuming you are against that idea to save the cars you like?
Old 12-04-18, 01:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Trump and Trudeau are going to do what they want to do, regardless of what any of us.
If Trump as well as Trudeau were forward thinking. They should apply immediate 100% tariffs to anything electric, batteries, clean burning, coding, autonomous driving to give American companies protection to put the foundation of future vehicle manufacturing in the US. This is the future automotive. Furthermore, Trump should drop the immigration ban stuff so that American companies such as GM and Ford can actually higher the top engineers and people in the world. The wonderful country of Canada has less restrictive immigration laws and while people are complaining about workers being laid off and closing, GM in Canada has actually been hiring the top high paying engineers for the future autonomous designs creation.
Old 12-04-18, 01:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is still a year's worth of negotiations with UAW/Unifor in both countries that has to be completed. How will these layoffs happen? In a slow phased shutdown or in larger intervals of workers being let go. Many of the most senior workers will get a buyout/severance. It is not easy to layoff unionized workers so there is much that has to be negotiated, especially when you have senior workers who make the top hourly wage ($34/hr CAD and whatever it is in USD).

We don't know if one or more of these factories can be reused for something else, but we can assume that many of the younger workers should be in demand in other GM plants. If not, other automakers will want their unique skills. Yes, they have to disrupt their lives and move, but with the severance and some sort of moving allowance, they can move to another plant.
Old 12-04-18, 01:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Shareholders don't make laws or regulations. Shareholders don't vote Federal money. Shareholders don't draw up company contracts with the UAW (that they are expected to keep). In many cases, shareholders don't even buy GM products. This time, she's going to have to answer to a lot of other people...people who don't just sit around and think about nothing but corporate profits all day long.
The government can't pass a law that singles out and discriminates against GM. The representatives from Ohio, MI and other states with plant shut downs will put their outrage on display for voters to see, but in the end, are going to do nothing. For a reference point, go back and watch Mark Zuckerburg's congressional testimony--what came as a result of that? Nothing. In fact, one could argue that it was a colossal waste of time because many of the committee members were embarrassingly uninformed about what they were even asking--again, all for show.

I know you are upset about this, and I don't fault you. But you just can't assume that so many others truly feel the same way.

Cutbacks, though, are not always the right thing to do....especially when you are talking about a company as big as GM. That's why the politicians are getting involved this time. That's THEM saying it, not just me.
Please--politicians are getting involved because it is politically advantageous for them to do so. Not to suggest that they don't care about their constituents, but they know full will that they can't bully or force any private company to bend to their will. If GM reverses course, or even is PERCEIVED to do so, then they can claim a win, even if they had nothing to do with GM's decision. And if GM doesn't change course, they can pat themselves on their back for how "hard" they fought for their district.

Sorry--not impressed.

Last edited by tex2670; 12-04-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 01:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG

We don't know if one or more of these factories can be reused for something else, but we can assume that many of the younger workers should be in demand in other GM plants. I
The plants in theory could be reused. Problem is they are too old to begin with. The Oshawa plant is operating at about 15% efficiency right now. I am assuming the other locations are similar. It makes no sense to keep these locations.

If not, other automakers will want their unique skills. Yes, they have to disrupt their lives and move, but with the severance and some sort of moving allowance, they can move to another plant.
GM, and Ford as well as Chrysler are all abandoning cars. These companies would rather do without the UAW than keep these workers. Interesting how GM is going to build the Blazer in Mexico.
Old 12-04-18, 01:56 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Trump should drop the immigration ban stuff so that American companies such as GM and Ford can actually higher the top engineers and people in the world.
But that would mean more ferrriners stealing 'murican jobs!
Old 12-04-18, 01:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

There is still a year's worth of negotiations with UAW/Unifor in both countries that has to be completed. How will these layoffs happen? In a slow phased shutdown or in larger intervals of workers being let go. Many of the most senior workers will get a buyout/severance. It is not easy to layoff unionized workers so there is much that has to be negotiated, especially when you have senior workers who make the top hourly wage ($34/hr CAD and whatever it is in USD).

We don't know if one or more of these factories can be reused for something else, but we can assume that many of the younger workers should be in demand in other GM plants. If not, other automakers will want their unique skills. Yes, they have to disrupt their lives and move, but with the severance and some sort of moving allowance, they can move to another plant.
I'll admit I'm not familiar with their contracts, but like I said, we went through something quite similar with mass layoffs at my work, and we are mostly union. I know in my union (SPEEA), it's not really that tough. As long as they can show that the position is being eliminated it gets pretty straightforward. Our folks out in the factory (IAM) have similar criteria. What happens in the case of layoffs is negotiated in our current contracts, so there isn't anything to negotiate at the time the layoff decisions are made.

Lots of cycles in aerospace, unfortunately, so the whole process of laying off union workers is pretty well understood and seamless. Pretty much all that is asked by the union is to honor the layoff/severance language and to allow workers with a notice the first chance to get any current open positions.
Old 12-04-18, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
But that would mean more ferrriners stealing 'murican jobs!
The drawback is, major companies will hire the top engineers and put them in locations outside the US. You are already seeing GM do that, they are hiring for the innovation centre in Oshawa near the University This applies to all companies and fields.

Not sure what a ferrriners is? Is that supposed to be funny.
Old 12-04-18, 02:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Oh, she's generally been a good manager, especially compared to some of her bozo predecessors.....remember Roger Smith and Bob Stempel? But, IMO, she has made three significant mistakes. First, selling off Opel/Vauxhall, which gave us several well-built smaller Buicks, Second, cancelling the ties to Australia's Holden Division....which gave us the excellent if slow-selling Pontiac GTO, G8, and Chevy SS....and which probably would have given us another Chevy El Camino from its Holden Maloo car/truck design. Third, of course, was the most serious one.....dropping so many sedans and closing three plants. This last one has gotten her into some real hot water with the politicians in both the U.S. and Canada.

And she cares why? Again, she doesn't work for those politicians, she works for the shareholders of the GM corporation. Politicians can be pissed off all they want, they can't do anything about it, nor should they be able to.

You keep looking at this as an enthusiast who wants products to be available and you don't understand GM IS A BUSINESS. They build what people buy. They cant survive off selling you a car every 5 years. This statement from you says it all:

Second, cancelling the ties to Australia's Holden Division....which gave us the excellent if slow-selling Pontiac GTO, G8, and Chevy SS
Why would they want to have ties to a company that gave them slow selling vehicles? They want fewer slow selling low profit vehicles and more brisk selling high profit vehicles. Why is this so hard for you to understand? Growth in the US is in crossovers and trucks. Those are the facts.

And, though generally a good manager up to now, I don't think that, overall, she's been the equal of Bob Lutz, when he was at GM. Lutz himself liked big Buick sedans.....in fact, he dumped his own personal Cadillac for a Lucerne when it first came out. I have not heard him make any comments in public about this latest move, but I sense that he is not pleased with the move to cancel so many big sedans.
So what rationale do you have for this statement, other than Bob Lutz liking the cars that you like?

I also own a business, and we have people who want to hire us every day that we turn away because its not the sort of business we want to do or that makes sense for our company. Thats how operating a business is. GM has said they don't want to be in the big sedan business anymore. Deal with it. Your arguments make zero sense here, they're 100% emotional, tied to what you want and ignore all the factual rationale presented as to why they made the decision they made. You're basically just crying "but I waaaaant it".

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-04-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 02:08 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The plants in theory could be reused. Problem is they are too old to begin with. The Oshawa plant is operating at about 15% efficiency right now. I am assuming the other locations are similar. It makes no sense to keep these locations.

GM, and Ford as well as Chrysler are all abandoning cars. These companies would rather do without the UAW than keep these workers. Interesting how GM is going to build the Blazer in Mexico.
Nobody said it has to be a UAW plant or even GM. There are other automobiles manufactured in Ontario, including the Ford Edge, Dodge Caravan/Pacifica, Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger and Challenger. The Camaro is still made in Ontario as well. Transferable skills is what this is about, not specific job task.
Old 12-04-18, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody said it has to be a UAW plant or even GM. There are other automobiles manufactured in Ontario, including the Ford Edge, Dodge Caravan/Pacifica, Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger and Challenger. The Camaro is still made in Ontario as well. Transferable skills is what this is about, not specific job task.
All of those cars are made by Unifor union workers. Similar to UAW. The Comaro is no longer made in Canada. I don't think any other these plants could hire on 2600 workers. But you know who is hiring? TOYOTA. But they are not union. Any HR person worth their salary would never take on a former Unifor union employee at a Toyota or Honda plant.
Old 12-04-18, 02:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And she cares why? Again, she doesn't work for those politicians, she works for the shareholders of the GM corporation. Politicians can be pissed off all they want, they can't do anything about it, nor should they be able to.

So what rationale do you have for this statement, other than Bob Lutz liking the cars that you like?
Bob Lutz has come out in support of Barra and her GM executive leadership team. He says that the the market has shifted away from sedans to crossovers and pickups and this is the correct move for GM at this time. He is quoted on MSNBC and GM Authority saying this.

There is an interesting story about Mary Barra when she ran the Hamtramck plant to which mmarshall alluded to earlier. When she got there the plant was a mess, and she needed to straighten it out and get costs and quality under control. At Christmas time, she told the UAW that the electricity bills were out of control and that the Christmas lights on the trees lining the driveway had to be turned off. The UAW rep was aghast about this. Eventually she and the UAW settled on a 50/50 split to pay the cost of those lights being on.
Old 12-04-18, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Bob Lutz has come out in support of Barra and her GM executive leadership team. He says that the the market has shifted away from sedans to crossovers and pickups and this is the correct move for GM at this time. He is quoted on MSNBC and GM Authority saying this.
No surprise, I just don't see how anybody familiar with GM's situation and familiar with the realities of market trends in the US wouldn't understand this move.

I'm not going to say I'm "in favor" of it, because I like sedans, and in particular I'm sad to see Cadillac loose the CT6 (Lacrosse etc I couldn't care less about), but I 100% understand why they did this.
Old 12-04-18, 02:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

And, though generally a good manager up to now, I don't think that, overall, she's been the equal of Bob Lutz, when he was at GM. Lutz himself liked big Buick sedans.....in fact, he dumped his own personal Cadillac for a Lucerne when it first came out. I have not heard him make any comments in public about this latest move, but I sense that he is not pleased with the move to cancel so many big sedans.
Quite the opposite, it would seem. (Thanks MattyG)

Everyone and their mother has an opinion about the news. Unions, politicians, and employees are up in arms. However, former General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz added a pinch of economic reality to the conversation yesterday when he appeared on CNBC.
Bob Lutz called GM’s transformative decision “not silly at all.” Adding, “the hard fact is in North America…passenger cars are simply not in demand.” And he’s not wrong.
“This is just economic reality, and it’ll hit everybody,” Lutz said in the interview. “It’s also a sign of changing times as demand shifts from cars.”

Bob Lutz also added that many of the laid-off employees would likely have new jobs available at other plants producing crossovers, SUVs, and trucks, as production in those facilities needs expanding to meet the growing demand. Many of the facilities GM wants to close, Lutz said, were “one-shift” facilities “limping along” with “low demand” and “short work weeks.” He added that many of the union workers would have job offers from other plants.

Last edited by JDR76; 12-04-18 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories