Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 08:35 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Has anyone else on the forum seen Roger & Me? I really would like to hear your opinion.

Watched a very long, long time ago - possibly in the Nineties, because it is of course at this point, a 30 year old film. But it is also a very relevant piece because of the obvious parallels of what was happening back then and where we are today. Don't want to spoil it for those planning to watch it, but it does get five stars on Rotten Tomatoes.

Basically Moore brings the viewer along with him as he goes on this quest to talk to Roger Smith so you always feel like you're standing beside him or walking along with him wherever he goes. He's using the classic documentary style of the little man confronting a faceless and uncaring gigantic entity. The twist here is that Roger Smith is the face of that corporation, but this face is inscrutible and inaccessible.

If you're not a Michael Moore fan, then that may taint what you think of the film of course. About his appearance - that became part of the schtick that he's used ever since. Originally it was meant as a silly bit of self mockery; the rumpled baggy clothes and unkempt hair, and of course the redneck ball cap bit. All deliberately meant to contrast against the shiny corporate suits at GM who were counting every penny and pinching it for good measure.
Old 12-05-18, 08:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

Watched a very long, long time ago - possibly in the Nineties, because it is of course at this point, a 30 year old film. But it is also a very relevant piece because of the obvious parallels of what was happening back then and where we are today. Don't want to spoil it for those planning to watch it, but it does get five stars on Rotten Tomatoes.

Basically Moore brings the viewer along with him as he goes on this quest to talk to Roger Smith so you always feel like you're standing beside him or walking along with him wherever he goes. He's using the classic documentary style of the little man confronting a faceless and uncaring gigantic entity. The twist here is that Roger Smith is the face of that corporation, but this face is inscrutible and inaccessible.

If you're not a Michael Moore fan, then that may taint what you think of the film of course. About his appearance - that became part of the schtick that he's used ever since. Originally it was meant as a silly bit of self mockery; the rumpled baggy clothes and unkempt hair, and of course the redneck ball cap bit. All deliberately meant to contrast against the shiny corporate suits at GM who were counting every penny and pinching it for good measure.
Thanks for the comments. Never thought about the appearance part being a “schtick” until now as you just pointed it out. Thanks b
Old 12-05-18, 08:46 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

mmarshall. Have you seen the film Roger & Me? I highly, highly recommend you see it if you have not. I think everyone should see the movie, it is related to what we are all discussing in this thread. Very very sad film. The closing of these GM plants are just catastrophic.

My heart goes out to all those who will losing their jobs. Such a tragic event. The people getting evicted was just so sad.
You are really recommending Michael Moore films? Why? He manipulates what people say and flat out makes stuff up to push his point of view/agenda, he even admitted it.
Old 12-05-18, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Never thought about the appearance part being a “schtick” until now as you just pointed it out. Thanks b
oh no doubt... the crappy ball cap and clothes as he gets on private jets...
Old 12-05-18, 10:28 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anyone else on the forum seen Roger & Me? I really would like to hear your opinion.
Watched it in one of my finance classes in college. Great film showing the devastation these mass layoffs cause to the surrounding communities. Yet the unions leaders are sitting pretty and driving their new Cadillac's (this was in the film). I still don't get why people don't partially blame the unions for these mass layoffs. Their demands are sometimes unreasonable!
Old 12-05-18, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Watched it in one of my finance classes in college. Great film showing the devastation these mass layoffs cause to the surrounding communities. Yet the unions leaders are sitting pretty and driving their new Cadillac's (this was in the film). I still don't get why people don't partially blame the unions for these mass layoffs. Their demands are sometimes unreasonable!
Thanks. Glad you saw it. My brother is a teacher and shows it to his students. Glad you saw it in a educational setting.
Old 12-05-18, 11:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
You are really recommending Michael Moore films? Why? He manipulates what people say and flat out makes stuff up to push his point of view/agenda, he even admitted it.
Have you seen the film?
Old 12-05-18, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Yet the unions leaders are sitting pretty and driving their new Cadillac's
........And why not? They, and their own membership, built those cars.

I still don't get why people don't partially blame the unions for these mass layoffs. Their demands are sometimes unreasonable!

Yes.....it's quite unreasonable to be able to put food on the table for your kids.
Old 12-05-18, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes.....it's quite unreasonable to be able to put food on the table for your kids.
Nobody is OWED a job. It doesn't work that way. Unions broke the backs of US automakers with demands for pay, benefits, and retirement plans that were just not feasible long term.

Now you see the net result, the unions have negotiated their members right out of their jobs.

Its not unreasonable to try and put food on your table, but you have to understand the realities of your employer's business too and be reasonable with your demands.
Old 12-05-18, 01:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nobody is OWED a job. It doesn't work that way. Unions broke the backs of US automakers with demands for pay, benefits, and retirement plans that were just not feasible long term.

Now you see the net result, the unions have negotiated their members right out of their jobs.
100% agree. I am not pro-union. I understand the importance and use of them but for assembling cars, I am not sure if there is a need for a union in this day and age.
Old 12-05-18, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I don't have a problem with Unions per se, they have served their purpose in the past. Issue is when the Union looses sight of the business needs of the employer theres an issue. You cant negotiate long term deals when one side holds all the cards.
Old 12-05-18, 03:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Have you seen the film?
Yes, saw most of it a long time ago, I was not impressed though it is his best "documentary" from what I have seen. I don't watch his stuff fully, just catch some to see how awful they are, he manipulates and edit what people say to get his desired reaction/statement so he is totally dishonest.
Old 12-05-18, 03:57 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
........And why not? They, and their own membership, built those cars.

I have no issue with the Big 3 hourly pay, I think they would get that without unions, it is the pension/retirement plans that are ridiculous and that has nothing to do with putting food on the table for you and your kids. Unions and big 3 workers refusing to give on that when the company they work for is bankrupt or in major financial trouble is only hurting their workforce. Unions had a place back in the day but not so much now, they now typical cause more problems then any good they do(auto and steel industry). Public sector/Gov. union needs to go away too, they demand way too much, Federal pensions/healthcare are a huge part of our debt, Federal employees should be able to fired if they do a poor job, are the wrong choice, etc instead of basically have a guaranteed job until retirement.
Old 12-05-18, 04:52 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Its not unreasonable to try and put food on your table, but you have to understand the realities of your employer's business too and be reasonable with your demands.

100% agree. I am not pro-union. I understand the importance and use of them but for assembling cars, I am not sure if there is a need for a union in this day and age.
I don't have a problem with Unions per se, they have served their purpose in the past. Issue is when the Union looses sight of the business needs of the employer theres an issue. You cant negotiate long term deals when one side holds all the cards.
I have no issue with the Big 3 hourly pay, I think they would get that without unions, it is the pension/retirement plans that are ridiculous and that has nothing to do with putting food on the table for you and your kids. Unions and big 3 workers refusing to give on that when the company they work for is bankrupt or in major financial trouble is only hurting their workforce. Unions had a place back in the day but not so much now, they now typical cause more problems then any good they do(auto and steel industry). Public sector/Gov. union needs to go away too, they demand way too much, Federal pensions/healthcare are a huge part of our debt, Federal employees should be able to fired if they do a poor job, are the wrong choice, etc instead of basically have a guaranteed job until retirement.
All of these echo my thoughts. I understands the workers frustrations over loosing their jobs, but Mary Barra isn't to blame. This is a long-term, ongoing issue. It's not the first time this has happened for GM, and isn't going to be the last time.
Old 12-05-18, 04:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, saw most of it a long time ago, I was not impressed though it is his best "documentary" from what I have seen. I don't watch his stuff fully, just catch some to see how awful they are, he manipulates and edit what people say to get his desired reaction/statement so he is totally dishonest.
Nice. I am glad you saw it. Even though it was a long time ago. However, I do agree with opinion on Moore. But all good, we don’t have to have the same opinion.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories