Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18 | 01:39 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back indeed. GM is now trying to defend itself from loss of subsidies....Good Luck.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/general-mo...plant-closures
You seem happy about this, does this justify the "punishment" you're looking for GM to get for stopping production of your Buick and laying off workers?
Old 12-11-18 | 02:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm still trying to picture what it would look like to have this administration come in to my work and tell us to ignore our sales data and profits and just build what they want us to build. That thought is astounding to me.
You are not considering that there are politics at play in the response by the administration. Those who follow the administration get a "feel" good moment when administration responds in certain ways. I predicted that Trump would stop all discussions of the plant closings as it negatively affects the rust belt supporters if any plant closure discussion is in the media.

Everyone knows these plan need to close. But it is how you are perceived politically which is what is now at stake.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-11-18 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-11-18 | 02:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
You seem happy about this, does this justify the "punishment" you're looking for GM to get for stopping production of your Buick and laying off workers?
Come on. Nothing about this whole deplorable situation makes me happy. There's a lot of potential suffering here from a lot of potential sources...the loss of jobs of the plant workers, damage to the economies of the cities and towns around the plants, loss of business nationwide to the trucking and railroad companies who transport the new cars from the plants to the dealerships, and, of course, the end of production of these Ford, Chevy, Buick, Cadillac (and maybe Lincoln) sedans for those fans who still do happen to like them, and were planing to buy or lease another one....even if those fans aren't as widespread as the big numbers of SUV-Philes. And all this basically because management has decided that sedans aren't profitable enough for their tastes. Like the Good Book says.....the love of money is the root of all evil.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-11-18 | 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Old 12-11-18 | 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ha Ha. If you are going to photoshop, bit, you'll need a little something first........

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-12-18 | 10:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is some new developments.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...212-story.html

https://www.durhamregion.com/news-st...unity-pickets/

^^^. The Oshawa workers are going to hold a rally? Really. What have past rallies done on similar closures?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-13-18 | 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Here is some new developments.
I think what is going to happen is that a lot of people will simply boycott GM and Ford. A good example (probably among many) is our long-time Condo Maintenance man (and a close friend of mine)...a long-time fan of GM, having owned several of their SUVs, a Silverado, and a Nissan Pathfinder. He doesn't buy GM sedans like I do, but, just the same, he says he's through with GM if they go through with these plant-closings. I've talked to other people who have the same feelings.....one of them being one of our actual condo board members, who has an aging Fusion and will apparently not be able to replace it. He may be done with Ford as well. Can't base a widespread prediction on just a few people, of course, but there's old saying.....where there's smoke, there's usually a fire.

And, to some extent, it would make sense, Even for people who want SUVs, and are simply not in the market for a sedan, there are many good entries now, particularly from Korea, with more soon to come. People don't have to buy SUVs from GM or Ford.....though the choice is somewhat limited if you want a full-frame, truck-based SUV that can tow heavy loads. There, Ford and GM pretty much rule the roost, except maybe if you pay more and get a Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX (which are more reliable to boot).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-18 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-13-18 | 06:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

As evidenced by ongoing declining sales a lot of consumers are already boycotting (or at least avoiding) GM and Ford sedans.
Old 12-13-18 | 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As evidenced by ongoing declining sales a lot of consumers are already boycotting (or at least avoiding) GM and Ford sedans.
The people I've talked to say they are going to avoid the two companies, period. How many across the country end up doing that is anybody's guess....I'm not going to make any hard predictions.

Personally, I think the Koreans are going to end up being the real winners here. Even if not as much as in the past, they are still undercutting the Japanese manufacturers in price, with, in most cases, just as good or better quality, though Lexus still seems to be at the top for reported number of problems per vehicle.
Old 12-13-18 | 06:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

^^ Yes. I started doing this in 2008.
Old 12-13-18 | 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728

....right around the time they actually did start getting better. The quality of post-bankrupt GM products was significantly better than that of before. Stuff like the ignition switch fiasco would not have been tolerated in Mary Barra's GM.
Old 12-13-18 | 07:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
The last new U.S. brand car I purchased was a '83 Pontiac 6000 (whatever their sport model was called). I had a lot of company supplied cars which were all domestic brands.
Old 12-13-18 | 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The last new U.S. brand car I purchased was a '83 Pontiac 6000 (whatever their sport model was called). I had a lot of company supplied cars which were all domestic brands.
Unfortunately, you hit GM (and Chrysler) right around their worst years for quality.......1980 to 1985.

You are refering to the 6000 STE (Special Touring Edition). At the time, the auto press liked it because of its Euro-themes, but it was essentially a bread and butter 6000 with some body-color trim, a slightly reworked V6, and different suspension/tires. From what I remember, it lacked even a tachometer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-18 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-13-18 | 01:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on. Nothing about this whole deplorable situation makes me happy. There's a lot of potential suffering here from a lot of potential sources...the loss of jobs of the plant workers, damage to the economies of the cities and towns around the plants, loss of business nationwide to the trucking and railroad companies who transport the new cars from the plants to the dealerships, and, of course, the end of production of these Ford, Chevy, Buick, Cadillac (and maybe Lincoln) sedans for those fans who still do happen to like them, and were planing to buy or lease another one....even if those fans aren't as widespread as the big numbers of SUV-Philes. And all this basically because management has decided that sedans aren't profitable enough for their tastes. Like the Good Book says.....the love of money is the root of all evil.
The love of money is the basis of capitalism and the basis of our economy. The shareholders want GM to be more profitable so the current situation exists. GM isn't there for the benefit of its employees...they are there to maximize shareholder return.
Old 12-13-18 | 01:18 PM
cheezz
Rookie

Guys and girls, you might want to take a look at this video regarding GM laying off people and closing factories. This seems to be driven by political powers in the government not because of market failure.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories