Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Trump hasn’t mentioned it in a while. Nothing will happen. He’s moved on to his next issue and GM will continue to be GM.

Disagree. Just wait. Trump is tied up wth the shutdown and wall-funding right now, but he is well-aware of what Mary Barra is doing to Ohio and Michigan. Just because something is on the back-burner doesn't mean no burner at all. And this latest announcement on the Canadian plant is going to bring Trudeau back into the picture, too.
Old 01-08-19, 05:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Honestly, I don’t think most people really care. Canada has lost two GM plants in the last 10 years, they lost the Camaro plant in Quebec and the plants St Thomas. I think they lost Windsor years ago. People don’t care like we do. Mexico wages are $2 per hour, that high cost of Unifor is the reason.
The presence of the union is not what is keeping us uncompetitive with Mexico.

Toyota and Honda in Ontario are not unionized, and they are still not competitive with Mexican wages. Even if GM were to re-establish a plant in Ontario after some absence and without a union, it would still not be competitive with Mexico.

There are a number of factors that bring this about. The key one is the cost of living; it costs about $20 per hour to cover the actual costs of living in the Greater Toronto (Ontario) Region (of which Oshawa is on the eastern edge) and so $2 to $5 per hour, as they pay in Mexico, would not be nearly enough pay in Ontario.

Another important factor is the Ontario minimum wage, which is $14 per hour. No legal employer can pay their employees less than the minimum wage. The Ontario minimum wage is far higher than the Mexican minimum wage.
Old 01-08-19, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Another important factor is the Ontario minimum wage, which is $14 per hour. No legal employer can pay their employees less than the minimum wage. The Ontario minimum wage is far higher than the Mexican minimum wage.

Is that $14 in U.S. or Canadian dollars? At the current exchange rate, 14 U.S. dollars are worth about $18.50 in Canadian dollars. Conversely, 14 Canadian dollars are worth a little under $10.60 in the U.S.

Source: https://www.exchange-rates.org/converter/CAD/USD/14/Y
Old 01-08-19, 05:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps so, but there is also a thing as going too far. And, when a sleeping bear awakes...............watch out.

And there is a reason why we should care. Even over and above the GM sedan production-issue (which, yes, is personal on my part), I care about people, and morally don't believe in exploiting labor. $2 an hour, IMO, is not an adequate wage, even in low-cost Mexico. I made more than that, right out of high school, almost a half century ago, working part-time, filling up gas tanks and doing minor service on vehicles...and I made twice that much (with health-insurance) on my first true full-time job. And I was not a goof-off....I earned it.
Very well said.

The presence of the union is not what is keeping us uncompetitive with Mexico.

Toyota and Honda in Ontario are not unionized, and they are still not competitive with Mexican wages. Even if GM were to re-establish a plant in Ontario after some absence and without a union, it would still not be competitive with Mexico.

There are a number of factors that bring this about. The key one is the cost of living; it costs about $20 per hour to cover the actual costs of living in the Greater Toronto (Ontario) Region (of which Oshawa is on the eastern edge) and so $2 to $5 per hour, as they pay in Mexico, would not be nearly enough pay in Ontario.

Sulu, I disagree with you. I was listening to the GM Canada President on CFRB today after Dias spoke. He mentioned loud and clear, that a retiring Unifor employee at this plant will collect a $3500-$3800 monthly pension, a $20,000 new car voucher. It is absolutely the reason. Then, the GM Oshawa plant at one time made 1.2 million cars while it is now down to 150K. Closure of this plant is absolutely the goal. You eliminate so many costs going forward. To retrofit the plant, cost of labour, cost of Ontario's electricity etc etc. Just open Blazer production in Mexico.

To note, the yearly salary of Mary Barra is greater than the entire payroll of the Mexico assembly plent. GM profits were $6 billion last year. It's all about greed.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-08-19 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here is what the Canadian UNIFOR President, Jerry Dias, had to say.

(I tried to actually upload the video itself, but the system wouldn't allow it)

https://globalnews.ca/video/4828244/...eeting-with-gm

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-08-19 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 06:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Disagree. Just wait. Trump is tied up wth the shutdown and wall-funding right now, but he is well-aware of what Mary Barra is doing to Ohio and Michigan. Just because something is on the back-burner doesn't mean no burner at all. And this latest announcement on the Canadian plant is going to bring Trudeau back into the picture, too.
Okay. Waiting...
Old 01-08-19, 06:49 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Is that $14 in U.S. or Canadian dollars? At the current exchange rate, 14 U.S. dollars are worth about $18.50 in Canadian dollars. Conversely, 14 Canadian dollars are worth a little under $10.60 in the U.S.

Source: https://www.exchange-rates.org/converter/CAD/USD/14/Y
That is Cdn$14 or about US$10.50, which is still much higher than the Mexican wages quoted in this thread.

Sulu, I disagree with you. I was listening to the GM Canada President on CFRB today after Dias spoke. He mentioned loud and clear, that a retiring Unifor employee at this plant will collect a $3500-$3800 monthly pension, a $20,000 new car voucher. It is absolutely the reason. Then, the GM Oshawa plant at one time made 1.2 million cars while it is now down to 150K. Closure of this plant is absolutely the goal. You eliminate so many costs going forward. To retrofit the plant, cost of labour, cost of Ontario's electricity etc etc. Just open Blazer production in Mexico.

To note, the yearly salary of Mary Barra is greater than the entire payroll of the Mexico assembly plent. GM profits were $6 billion last year. It's all about greed.
Due to competition, the cost of living and the legal minimum wage in Ontario, no automaker -- no manufacturers, no coffee shops, no legal non-union employers -- can pay less than Cdn$14 per hour (and that is still not enough to cover living expenses in the Greater Toronto Area); that is still much higher than what you quoted as the Mexican wage.

The only way that we will get our automakers to be competitive is by a legal trade agreement (such as the US, Mexico, Canada Agreement) or there is an absolutely tragic economic collapse and the bottom truly drops out of the Canadian dollar (in which case we would be no better off than Venezuela).

So there is no way to go back to paying employees only $2 per hour in Ontario.
Old 01-08-19, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So there is no way to go back to paying employees only $2 per hour in Ontario.
I'd hope not. A wage at that level, IMO, is an insult to one's labor, even in Mexico. I'm all for capitalism and free-markets, but there is also such a thing as greed. True capitalism is a system of investments, expenses/profits, returns, and using those investments to work for the public good....not paying your top executives three and four hundred times (or even a thousand times) what the typical man or woman on the assembly line makes. Making money in extremes, to the point where you are not compensating employees for their hard work, in my book, is not capitalism, but simple greed.
Old 01-08-19, 08:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

I'd hope not. A wage at that level, IMO, is an insult to one's labor, even in Mexico. I'm all for capitalism and free-markets, but there is also such a thing as greed. True capitalism is a system of investments, expenses/profits, returns, and using those investments to work for the public good....not paying your top executives three and four hundred times (or even a thousand times) what the typical man or woman on the assembly line makes. Making money in extremes, to the point where you are not compensating employees for their hard work, in my book, is not capitalism, but simple greed.
And no one would want the total economic collapse which would be the other way to get us to $2 per hour wages.
Old 01-08-19, 08:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Right. So GM will do whatever it can to take advantage of the situation. Toyota was planning to with Corolla until Trump started complaining so Toyota built a new plant in the US for production of the new model alongside Mazda. GM is not moving this production, they are closing the plants. It is really sad,however one cannot deny that GM has very high labor costs as well as over capacity of their plants in he US and Can.
Old 01-08-19, 08:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And no one would want the total economic collapse which would be the other way to get us to $2 per hour wages.
Who is suggesting Canada should offer $2 per hour wages for GM assembly?
Old 01-08-19, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think Sulu was using that as a symbolic/hypothetical, not literal, figure....but I was joining out the (more or less) obvious reasons that figure would be inappropriate and unrealistic.
Old 01-09-19, 06:53 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Who suggested it? You did.

Mexico wages are $2 per hour, that high cost of Unifor is the reason.

Old 01-09-19, 07:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Who suggested it? You did.
I don’t think I suggested GM to pay Oshawa workers $2. The high cost of Unifor workers is the reason why GM put the blazer in Mexico and not in Oshawa. Because of NAFTA, the opportunity to exists to make more money by paying Mexico workers $2 vs what GM would have to pay workers in Oshawa, why would you want Oshawa if you are GM?. That and the fact that Oshawa is running just one shift and is nowhere near even 15% capacity.

GM could very easily put the Blazer and in fast ANY product at Oshawa, they are on record for saying they could do this but they don’t want to.

What the media is not reporting is that GM is hiring high paying engineering jobs for Oshawa innovation center.

You brought up Toyota and how they can succeed, yes, they pay well at Cambridge however they are also at peak capacity, they can close up shop in they want as there is no union to deal with.

And Toyota or Honda could very easily move Rav4 and RX to Mexico if they want and pay $2 per hour. The political negativity would be bad for Toyota or Honda. But not for GM.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-09-19 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

GM could very easily put the Blazer and in fast ANY product at Oshawa, they are on record for saying they could do this but they don’t want to.
It would take some significant re-tooling, time, and effort, but, yes, that is a definite possibility. I think that UNIFOR and GM discussed that possibility, but GM remains obstinate right now.

One question is, potentially, how well would the Blazer actually sell against its own Equinox and Traverse brothers?.....we've already had a CL thread on that. Too many cooks can sometimes spoil the broth.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories