Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19 | 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
GM stands to lose customers in Canada from the Oshawa plant shutdown. This video explains why.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4737578/d...plant-closure/

And this video explains the mental suffering that the plant-employees are going through.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4932536/o...mental-health/
Thanks for posting. The mental health part I think was set up by Unifor. Of course these employees will never buy a GM model again.
Old 02-07-19 | 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks for posting. The mental health part I think was set up by Unifor. Of course these employees will never buy a GM model again.
....and, no offense to those suffering workers, who are in bad enough straits as it is, but I don't think I'd want to buy anything made in the Oshawa plant (or any of the other potentially affected plants) plants since late November....and certainly not factory-order a new GM sedan now. I had thought about trading in my Lacrosse and getting a brand-new 2019 while they were still available (I like some of its competitors, but, still, nothing quite beats the comfort and plushness of a Lacrosse for the price). But the chances of getting a well-built one, under those conditions at the factory, with morale that low, are questionable. Employees worried about their future meals, or their children's health, or paying off the mortgage, or any one of a number of other critical issues, are not going to be likely to keep their minds on what they are doing....and quality-inspectors aren't going to catch defects. Wheel-lug nuts that aren't sufficiently-tightened, engine/transmission seals allowing critical fluids to leak out, steering-attachments not properly-installed, defective fuel-plumbing/gas leaks....the list of possible screw-ups is endless. Not only that, but some employees might (?) let their nervousness and apprehension turn to outright anger/hatred, committing deliberate sabotage on the vehicles in order to get back at the company. I'm not saying all of this will necessarily happen, but, given these kind of circumstances, will certainly be a possibility.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-19 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-07-19 | 08:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Good thing you didn’t trade on your lacrosse.
Old 02-07-19 | 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good thing you didn’t trade on your lacrosse.
I was hoping to eventually get another one, but that's probably out of the question now. And I don't really have enough time or miles on the one I have now (18-month review coming up)...I'd take too much of a bath, and, as I mentioned in the post, it would be risky to order another one now. Not that there's any real problems with mine...I love it, and especially love driving it. But I'm also mad as hell that it's probably the only new one I'll ever be able to have....and also feel sorry for all the workers getting screwed.
Old 02-07-19 | 10:11 PM
southernx
Driver

Angry GM in Negotiations to Sell Holden Australia

Last edited by southernx; 02-07-19 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-08-19 | 05:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

^^If they were going to dump Holden, wouldn't the best time have been when they were still an auto manufacturer, and were showing a profit, as was the case in the 2014-2017 time frame? Would think that would bring a much better price than an importer with continually declining sales.
Old 02-08-19 | 06:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Buick may be in trouble in China. Lots of interesting stats in this article. With 80% of Buick's global sales coming from China, they better hope they succeed.... or you'll see the death of Buick.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/07/why-...-survival.html
Old 02-08-19 | 06:10 AM
wasjr
Instructor

GM 2018 Profits: $8,100,000,000
GM 2018 Layoffs: 8,000 workers
Took this from an Auto Blog comment
GM announced on Wednesday that North American Pre-tax profit was down over $1 billion in 2018 to $10.8 billion, and each hourly UAW worker will receive a profit sharing check of $10,750 this month.
Old 02-08-19 | 06:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wasjr
GM announced on Wednesday that North American Pre-tax profit was down over $1 billion in 2018 to $10.8 billion, and each hourly UAW worker will receive a profit sharing check of $10,750 this month.
To illustrate, I have heard larger amounts by office workers at a North American division, of a car co. located in NJ. I don't work for the co. so it's what I heard, my buddy told me about his sister who works in accounting.

edit just googled and the co. and it is not doing as well this year so one would expect that number to fall--they projected net profit to fall by 36% (how that affects the share wouldn't have a clue would not expect 1:1 correlation). But imho for someone in accounting, that's quite a nice check to get, the number my buddy threw out was almost 20k--it's not Wall Street but for an ordinary person? A trucker earning 87k? A police officer earning 120k? That much more that can go to expenses or debt, I say not bad.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-08-19 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-08-19 | 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
^^If they were going to dump Holden, wouldn't the best time have been when they were still an auto manufacturer, and were showing a profit, as was the case in the 2014-2017 time frame? Would think that would bring a much better price than an importer with continually declining sales.
Unlike most of GM's Opel-sourced vehicles, which have sold quite well in the U.S., the Holden-sourced ones (GTO, G8, Chevy SS) sat in he showroom and went nowhere. That may (?) have been at least one factor in the decision, not just necessarily the selling price.
Old 02-08-19 | 07:45 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unlike most of GM's Opel-sourced vehicles, which have sold quite well in the U.S., the Holden-sourced ones (GTO, G8, Chevy SS) sat in he showroom and went nowhere. That may (?) have been at least one factor in the decision, not just necessarily the selling price.
But that's just the US. The domestic market versions, like the Commodore, were selling briskly in Australia.
Old 02-08-19 | 08:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wasjr
Profit was down because of steel tariffs. But think about that, $10.8 billion in profit. $2 per hour Mexican workers likely do not make the bonus in one year.
Old 02-08-19 | 12:05 PM
southernx
Driver

Smile GM Holden Sandman SSV V8

Holden Sandman SSV V8

Holden Sandman SSV V8

GM Holden Sandman SSV V8 manufactured in Australia and never imported to the States
Old 02-08-19 | 12:36 PM
southernx
Driver

Smile GM Holden Sandman Wagon SSV V8

Holden Sandman Wagon SSV V8

Old 02-08-19 | 12:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by southernx

Holden Sandman SSV V8

Holden Sandman SSV V8

GM Holden Sandman SSV V8 manufactured in Australia and never imported to the States
Originally Posted by southernx

What is the point of these pics? Please do not try to get this thread closed. I have a put a labor of love into this thread, and it’s very important and interesting for some people to keep up to date with this ongoing story.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-08-19 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories