Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Warren, MI transmission plant is shutting down this week.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/busin...ant/index.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-19 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the post. Years back, we look back at these closures. Sad. And unfortunate. But it is what it is.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-30-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Warren, MI transmission plant is shutting down this week.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/busin...ant/index.html
of note:

GM thanked the plant's roughly 200 employees in a statement. ...
... 60 workers have transferred to other factories in the United States
... 25 workers are retiring.
so that's only 115 jobs lost. sucks for the 115 but it's not a huge economic impact or any kind of catastrophe. the plant was making the 6 speed auto which is outdated.
Old 07-30-19, 02:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of note:

so that's only 115 jobs lost. sucks for the 115 but it's not a huge economic impact or any kind of catastrophe. the plant was making the 6 speed auto which is outdated.
It is quite astonishing that a plant was still operating with just 115 workers. I imagine it in the 10s of 1000s back in the past.

Have you even been to an auto plant or lived close to one?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-30-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is quite astonishing that a plant was still operating with just 115 workers. I imagine it in the 10s of 1000s back in the past.

Have you even been to an auto plant or lived close to one?
I guess you didn’t read what i quoted, there were 200 workers, 60 transferred to other jobs, 25 retired, and i guess 115 got laid off.

and yes i have lived close to one.
Old 08-02-19, 07:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a change. Full shift cut in Mexico, temporary cuts in Canada for the same model. GM sales in Canada are down quite a bit since last years closure announcements. Ontario sales are very bad.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/...anadian-plant/

But it’s workers at GM‘s San Luis Potosi plant, which like CAMI builds the Chevrolet Equinox, that have more to be upset about. The automaker permanently cut a shift at the Mexican plant, reducing it to just two shifts starting August 12th. Unifor Local 88 representative Mike Van Boekel was surprised to see GM cut a shift at the Mexican plant instead of the Canadian one, but has sympathy for the workers that will be let go.

“They have been notified that they’re going to take a shift off of them permanently starting August 12. It’s not good news for us but it’s terrible news for them,” Van Boekel told Global News. “I think it’s quite remarkable with all the news going on with Mexico and everything else that they’re electing to take a shift off the Mexican plant instead of the CAMI plant.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/5713791/t...ft-cut-mexico/

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-02-19 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 09:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

something tells me gm doesn't want the wrath of trump.
Old 08-03-19, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting......so GM now cuts a shift at the Equinox plant in Mexico. First, we were told that manufacturers can't keep up with demand for SUVs/CUVs (exactly the kind of vehicle that the Equinox represents), and, because of that demand, that other plants have to be shut down or converted to crossover/SUV production. Second, we were told that production also had to shift to Mexico, China, and other Third-World countries because of the cost of American/Canadian labor.

Sounds to me like somebody just got caught with two sets of their pants down.

"Unifor Local 88 representative Mike Van Boekel was surprised to see GM cut a shift at the Mexican plant instead of the Canadian one, but has sympathy for the workers that will be let go."

As a compassionate person, I agree with Van Boekel that it is no pleasure to see any workers, even outside U.S. or Canadian borders, lose their jobs and/or suffer. But I will also say that those companies that operate under the U.S, or Canadian flags, IMO, also have a responsibility to hire American/Canadian workers first.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-03-19 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I ran into the sales-rep who sold me both my Verano and present Lacrosse at Red Lobster today (seems that we both like the food and the servers there), and we discussed the plant-closings over a nice lunch. Seems he is just as mad, if not more, about the closings and elimination of sedans as I am....although he is not quite as vocal about it as I am. Like me, he doesn't buy Mary Barra's public explanations for it (and, from what he tells me, neither does most of the staff at the dealership). For example, he sells a lot of Chevy Cruzes, even more than some of the SUV models....and, since the dealership did away with the former policy of allowing salespeople to take home vehicles at night, he bought a Cruze for himself as his daily driver and personal car. According to him, the Impala is now a special-order vehicle...although it is unclear just how long that will last, as the Hamtramck plant is scheduled to close at the end of the year. The Lacrosse is already out of production. Cruze production, of course, ended several months ago at he Lordstown, OH plant.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-06-19 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-06-19, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Seems he is just as mad, if not more, about the closings and elimination of sedans as I am....t.
He could be just telling you that, to keep you on board for your next Buick. Sedans don’t sell as well as cross overs..... Salesman 101, make your current customers feel good....tell em’ what they want to hear....would be a bad sales move for this guy to tell you he agreed with Mary Barra
Old 09-06-19, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

He could be just telling you that, to keep you on board for your next Buick. Sedans don’t sell as well as cross overs..... Salesman 101, make your current customers feel good....tell em’ what they want to hear....would be a bad sales move for this guy to tell you he agreed with Mary Barra
I've known him too long for that. He's an ex-cop (with SWAT-training), and not one to bull**** with people. He doesn't need me...he sells a LOT of vehicles, without sales-pressure. Remember, this is Northern Virginia/D.C. suburbs....New-Car-Burbia, second only to Los Angeles. If I passed away tomorrow, it wouldn't significantly affect his bottom line at all. He sells more vehicles in one day than some salespeople do in a month. The truth is, no matter how much people try and sugar-coat it, that a lot of sedans DO sell in this area....although there is no doubt that the crossover/SUV craze has also swept this region, just like it has in many other places.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-06-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 03:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I ran into the sales-rep who sold me both my Verano and present Lacrosse at Red Lobster today (seems that we both like the food and the servers there), and we discussed the plant-closings over a nice lunch. Seems he is just as mad, if not more, about the closings and elimination of sedans as I am....although he is not quite as vocal about it as I am. Like me, he doesn't buy Mary Barra's public explanations for it (and, from what he tells me, neither does most of the staff at the dealership). For example, he sells a lot of Chevy Cruzes, even more than some of the SUV models....and, since the dealership did away with the former policy of allowing salespeople to take home vehicles at night, he bought a Cruze for himself as his daily driver and personal car. According to him, the Impala is now a special-order vehicle...although it is unclear just how long that will last, as the Hamtramck plant is scheduled to close at the end of the year. The Lacrosse is already out of production. Cruze production, of course, ended several months ago at he Lordstown, OH plant.
In spite of all this I'd take it with a grain of salt. Not saying he's BS'ing just saying i wouldn't take it all without question.
Old 09-06-19, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In spite of all this I'd take it with a grain of salt. Not saying he's BS'ing just saying i wouldn't take it all without question.

I understand perfectly what you are saying...and respect your viewpoint. Salespeople come in all types....from out-and-out crooks to basically honest people, and everywhere in between. As an ex-cop, this guy helped lock up a lot of dishonest people....so he has a basic sense of honesty himself. And he sells enough vehicles that he doesn't need to milk every customer he meets.

And, way above this level, it's obvious that GM is making a lot of mistakes, and ticking off a LOT of people, not just me and him. Although part of it is also due to the excellence of the new Ram pickups, nationwide, the Silverado, after decades of being in second place behind the F-150, has now fallen into third place. The new Blazer was disappointing from Day One....though not a complete sales-flop, its numbers have been clearly not what GM expected, and some groups are even boycotting it. Both GM and Ford have alienated not only a lot of potential buyers by their actions, but unions, consumer groups, local/state governments.....even up to the highest levels of the U.S. and Canadian national governments.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-06-19 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree with you. The guy we having been buying many Toyota’s for years is completely full of crap. But I like him. I love the crap he spews.
Old 09-06-19, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with you. The guy we having been buying many Toyota’s for years is completely full of crap. But I like him. I love the crap he spews.
Some salespeople are indeed full of it.....some aren't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-07-19 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories