Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 06:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again, how many have been in a factory recently? Not gonna dime them out, but there are unionized factories in the USA, with 100% legal immigrant workers. they make less, and add to the bottom line. Personally, this is not the spirit of made in USA, to me. Doesn't pass muster.

Nor are certain unionized places where you walk in and nobody is doing anything nor helping customers.

the spirit is where an airline says we will now board veterans and those with small children, and people appreciate it but keep their normal place in line.

The whole factory thing is we want bonafide people to have good jobs and support their families. Talk to a landscaping co. owner who has an all American crew, yet nobody comes back to work after lunch and his reputation suffers.

It really isn't as simple as many make it out to be.

But my Snap On tools, I'll play the game. It doesn't say made in USA and I'll be at Harbor Freight.
Old 12-01-18, 06:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again, how many have been in a factory recently? Not gonna dime them out, but there are unionized factories in the USA, with 100% legal immigrant workers. they make less, and add to the bottom line. Personally, this is not the spirit of made in USA, to me. Doesn't pass muster.

Nor are certain unionized places where you walk in and nobody is doing anything nor helping customers.

The whole factory thing is we want bonafide people to have good jobs and support their families. Talk to a landscaping co. owner who has an all American crew, yet nobody comes back to work after lunch and his reputation suffers.

It really isn't as simple as many make it out to be.
D
The issue is, most people today do not want to do these types of jobs. Manufacturing, making steel, coal making etc are not jobs people want to really do. The US and Canada, (I group them together) has become a service based economy. Most people who are young do not the above. The real facts are, automation is the biggest job killer to manufacturing job losses.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-01-18 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Are you implying it's not in the spirit of the USA because they're legal immigrants, or being paid less than prior workers, or?
what "doesn't pass muster"?

bottom line, the car biz is extremely competitive and every dollar counts. about Ohio specifically, the cruze and most small cars except corolla don’t sell well today and there's no margin in them anyway, especially if workers expect to be paid a lot. Simple economics. Gm is not a charity.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-01-18 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 08:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Are you implying it's not in the spirit of the USA because they're legal immigrants, or being paid less than prior workers, or?
what "doesn't pass muster"?

bottom line, the car biz is extremely competitive and every dollar counts. about Ohio specifically, the cruze and most small cars except corolla don’t sell well today and there's no margin in them anyway, especially if workers expect to be paid a lot. Simple economics. Gm is not a charity.
Completely agree. Shouldn't keep factories open if they aren't profitable. GM is listening to its bosses, the shareholders and taking the appropriate action. This is capitalism.
Old 12-01-18, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Completely agree. Shouldn't keep factories open if they aren't profitable. GM is listening to its bosses, the shareholders and taking the appropriate action. This is capitalism.
.....except for one thing. When Trump and Trudeau (and possibly the U.S. Congress and the Canadian Parliament) get through with GM over this action, it is likely going to cost them more than simply keeping the plants open in the first place. How much sense does that make?
Old 12-01-18, 09:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lets be honest. There are also a lot of politics in play here as well among other stuff. We should not forget that GM announced not so long ago that they would be building the new Blazer in Mexico. The threat of auto tariffs and the steel tariffs do not help any manufacturer in the United States, the uncertainty makes it more difficult. Then you add in the crippling costs of the UAW and Unifor. GM very cleverly announced there will be “no allocation” of products for these plants, a little different than saying we are “closing” them.

While I 100% agree that these plants should be closed because they are too costly to operate as well as upgrade. There are other factors involved as well. While the GM Oshawa plant is closing, the Canadian government gave Toyota money for their plants on Ontario, and wouldn’t you know, Toyota is now hiring for new production workers.
Old 12-01-18, 10:58 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Okay, I get it, it costs a lot for a company to build cars in Michigan than compared to, say, Shanghai.

And yet we have factories owned by Toyota, Honda, and other foreign entities staffed with American workers in places like North Carolina that are doing very well, thank you.

So I think if Trump says, "Hey, GM, build cars here in North America or it will cost you dearly," he has a point. The other car companies can do it. If it's simply a question of high overhead due to unrealistic pension promises, well, that's a shame, but now what? It's like that old Mary Poppins line: "It's a pie crust promise--easily made, easily broken."
Old 12-01-18, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
Okay, I get it, it costs a lot for a company to build cars in Michigan than compared to, say, Shanghai.

And yet we have factories owned by Toyota, Honda, and other foreign entities staffed with American workers in places like North Carolina that are doing very well, thank you.

So I think if Trump says, "Hey, GM, build cars here in North America or it will cost you dearly," he has a point. The other car companies can do it. If it's simply a question of high overhead due to unrealistic pension promises, well, that's a shame, but now what? It's like that old Mary Poppins line: "It's a pie crust promise--easily made, easily broken."
Yes. Well said. Now compared to Toyota and Honda or Hyundai and the southern plants like BMW and MB. The GM Oshawa has a capacity of over 1 million units, however they are down to just 115K units per year. The plant is actually #2 on site as the first plant they demolished a few years back. So GM is not only burdened by the high costs of UAW workers etc, they also have an infrastructure that is just so old, dated and obsolete. None of the transplant companies are burdened by so much. GM has 75 plants worldwide BTW, and they told the CBC they could make any vehicle at any plant anywhere in the world if they want to.
Old 12-01-18, 03:15 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale

I believe toyota and most other foreign automakers factories are not unionized. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-01-18, 05:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I believe toyota and most other foreign automakers factories are not unionized. Correct me if I am wrong.
Not that I know of. The UAW has done a lot of damage to the Amecian companies. I could see a time when GM leaves Canada manufacturing all together.
Old 12-01-18, 05:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Old 12-01-18, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The UAW has done a lot of damage to the Amecian companies.
Nope. The marketers and planners did it to themselves.
Old 12-01-18, 05:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope. The marketers and planners did it to themselves.
I disagree. If you follow the past and what the UAW did to the big three, you might think otherwise. Toyota is hiring today in Ontario for the production line, GM is closing the plant and laying off UAW workers, all the while GM will build the Blazer in Mexico. People also are unaware GM is also hiring for the innovation center in Oshawa, these would be non union workers.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-01-18 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree. If you follow the past and what the UAW did to the big three, you might think otherwise.
Jill, with all due respect, I don't know how old or young you are, but I have been following the auto business for well over a half a century, since the early-mid 60s.......probably before you were born. I can remember the day the first Mustang rolled out, at $2368, in 1964. I can remember the day my late father bought a brand-new 1961 Dodge (though I was quite young). If the UAW were so detrimental to the Big Three, then why did these companies rule the industry back then (especially GM, which once had 60% of the American market). Though smaller AMC (American Motors) had problems for years, the Big Three made record profits well into the 1970s...at a time when their UAW workers were getting some of their best (in comparison) wage and benefit packages. It did not always make sense from a math point of view, but, for years, the better the UAW people had it, the better their parent companies did. No, unions did not start the downfall of the Big Three.....it was growing Japanese competition (particularly Toyota and Honda), and, 20-30 years later, also increasing competition from the Koreans. And that competition did not come because wages and benefits were lower overseas, but, because, for a time at least (1970s through 1990s), the Asian companies simply made better-built products that, unlike some GM and Chrysler products of the period (and, in some cases, Ford as well), did not start falling apart as soon as you first drove them home from the dealership. Reliability, in the eyes of consumers, is a strong selling point....regardless of where a vehicle is produced.

It can be argued that the earliest problems with GM in the modern age, and what started it down, were not union-related at all, but originated with the ill-fated Corvair, which was poorly-designed, poorly-engineered, and poorly-built, injuring and killing a number of people with its squirrelly, dangerous handling and carbon-monoxide-prone heater/exhaust system. The ill-fated Vega, which followed it less then a decade later, was another disaster, and more disasters soon followed....particularly from Oldsmobile and Cadillac. But that's not the unions' fault.....that was management and the designers/marketers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-18 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 06:20 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The issue is, most people today do not want to do these types of jobs. Manufacturing, making steel, coal making etc are not jobs people want to really do. The US and Canada, (I group them together) has become a service based economy. Most people who are young do not the above. The real facts are, automation is the biggest job killer to manufacturing job losses.
I trust that you are not saying that North Americans would rather work in service jobs (i.e. "McJobs") that pay minimum wage than work in middle-class wage manufacturing jobs?

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories