Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Honda Passport SUV

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 05:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looked at a Passport today.

I stopped at a local Honda shop today and gave the Passport a static-checkout, on a jet-black one inside the showroom, and a couple of others parked outside, though I also had other errands to do today, and didn't have time for a formal test-drive. But, some of you here on Car Chat had gotten my curiosity up, and I wanted to at least take a cursory look at it. I'll do at least an informal write-up...not enough for an actual review (or to start a new thread), but just my general impressions.

First, on the jet-black Elite AWD (43K) model inside, the black paint job was absolutely stunning....probably the best black paint job I've seen in years. Black is a notoriously hard color to do without an orange-peel texture, but this paint was virtually as smooth as a mirror...no orange peel that my eyes, even with 20/20 corrected glasses (borderline 20/15), could detect. From what I've seen, not even Lexus and Audi, both known for smooth paint jobs, can do black this well. The other colors (at least the few I looked at) were also done quite well, but that black, especially detailed for the showroom, knocks your socks off. Not that I actually like black.....I don't, and never have, for several reasons, but, if you are going to do black, then at least do it right. Honda, on the Passport. did.

I was also impressed with the door-solidness (nice thunks upon closing), the amount of space-efficiency inside (tall roofline, front and rear, even under the sunroof, with plenty of headroom, though I may have lost a little height over the years with age and spinal-compression), front-seat comfort, and how they designed the rear cargo area. The front seats were comfortably-shaped, but the padding was too firm for my tastes.....of course, I've been spoiled by the Lacrosse's Cush-Tush seats, and almost everything else, compared to them, seems too firm. The cargo area was cleverly-designed, and well-finished with quality materials...a solid snap-lever releases the nicely-carpeted swing-up floor panel, and underneath is a nice sub-compartment for carrying things, and at least a decent temporary spare tire....no run-flats or compressed-air-bottles. There is a small cubby-compartment in the wall on the left side, with a power-outlet, but I don't remember if there was also one on the right. The rear hatch unlatches, with the fob nearby, if you kick your foot under the bumper, Ford-style.

I was not as well-impressed with the general interior layout/design and trim, which I didn't think was particularly plush or upscale-looking, even in the top-line Elite model. The materials themselves were OK (in fact, in some ways, better than average)...but, IMO, like on some other new Honda products today, not quite up to the solidness of the unbreakable Hondas of, say, the 1990s. And, for you, Jill, the power-window controls DID have plastic center-dividers for the switches.....a number of posters used up almost a whole thread in Car Chat discussing if that was considered cost-cutting or not. The exterior trim and hardware, IMO, was also not up some past Hondas, particularly the swivel-side-mirrors, which did not have as solid or smooth a feel in their swivel/snap action as Hondas once did. I also was not impressed with the underhood layout....manual prop-rod for the hood, plastic covers over notably the engine but much of the underhood itself, and the engine block buried in the center, under covers all around it. I also was not impressed with the 20" wheels/tires, which I thought ware awkwardly-large, even with the exposed wheel-well gaps, and the tires which looked a little too-low-profle for good off-road capability.

I may (?) go back for a test-drive, but, aside from the mirror-like black paint job and the nicely-designed cargo area, I've seen what IMO are nicer SUVs for the money....particularly from Kia. I also like the new GMC Acadia, which, IMO, has a nicer interior and some very handsome styling inside and out.
I disagree with a lot of this. But it is what it is. Glad you noticed the spacers on the window switches. 👍 Appreciate the shout out.
Old 02-22-19, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I disagree with a lot of this. But it is what it is. Glad you noticed the spacers on the window switches. �� Appreciate the shout out.

Not a shout out by any means (I'm not that type of person)....some things are important to some people, but not to others. Also, remember that I did not test-drive it.....I might find things on the test-drive that I like, as I did on its sister Honda Ridgeline, which, along with the Ram 1500, is one of the best-riding trucks on the market.

Also, from what you said, I don't think we really disagree that much...you were just a little more Gung-Ho on the interior than I was. But, to some extent, even if ugly or not particularly nice-driving (as with the HR-V, for instance) a Honda will always be a Honda....assembled like a Swiss Watch, with everything fitting and screwed-together perfectly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-22-19 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 09:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was not as well-impressed with the general interior layout/design and trim, which I didn't think was particularly plush or upscale-looking, even in the top-line Elite model. The materials themselves were OK (in fact, in some ways, better than average)...but, IMO, like on some other new Honda products today, not quite up to the solidness of the unbreakable Hondas of, say, the 1990s.
So I didn't look a the Passport or the Pilot at the auto show, but I did look at the CR-V. And this is the exact same impression I was left with on the interior of the CR-V Touring--meh. Not bad; just not compelling when comparing to the new RAV4, the Mazda CX-5 and the new Hyundai Santa Fe. Competition in these various SUV categories is fierce, and is not going to get less fierce, and I feel like this is an area Honda could really up its game across it's product line. The days of trying to be top dog in any class that Honda currently competes with a functional, livable, quality interior are past us.
Old 02-24-19, 09:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I disagree with a lot of this.
For example?
Old 02-24-19, 09:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
but I did look at the CR-V. And this is the exact same impression I was left with on the interior of the CR-V Touring--meh. .
Huh? The CR-V was listed a ten best interior in 2017 for Wards. The past Fit, Odyssey and Civic were all on the 10 best list for Wards
Old 02-24-19, 10:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For example?
Its very difficult to accept some point of views when its constantly and consistently "This vehicle (generally the two big Japan brands) does not compare to something 20 years ago" and then Hyundai and KIA are conveniently brought into a discussion in a positive way. Honda makes outstanding interiors for their current products, they are quite competitive and its very hard to argue they are not ranked at the top. I think there is a big difference between, I like or dislike an interior vs the interior is not a very good interior or the interior has cheapened out. For example. the new Mazda 3 has a nice design and good materials, do I like the design? Absolutely not. Compare that to the new Sierra, is the interior best in class? NO, are there cheap plastics? YES Is there unacceptable cost cutting? YES (look at the missing height adjusting seat anchors) Do I like the design? I LOVE IT. Is it better than the RAMs interior? NO. Would I rather have the RAM interior? NO There seems to be a lot of bias in some posters comments.

just not compelling when comparing to the new RAV4, the Mazda CX-5 and the new Hyundai Santa Fe. .
I agree that the RAV4 has a more interesting design for the interior, however I do not believe the materials and finish are as good as Honda. The CX-5 is good no doubt, but I just don't like the design and it feels smaller.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-24-19 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 05:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Huh? The CR-V was listed a ten best interior in 2017 for Wards. The past Fit, Odyssey and Civic were all on the 10 best list for Wards
Well, then Wards will be a source I'll never listen to again. And I just was looking, and Wards named the Chevy Equinox to the 2018 list. So this will not be a resource I will be relying on in the future. That 2017 list includes a Bentley and a Subaru Impreza--so, c'mon.

I just went on Honda's website to look at the CR-V interior gallery. Is everything laid out logically? Yes. Good fit and finish; easy to read gauges, etc. But high quality materials? I can't agree with that. Look at the cheesiness of the fake wood inserts--why bother with those at all if they are going to look obviously fake. And the CR-V's leather (and Honda's leather interiors in general) are not rich looking or feeling; way below Toyota. This was true way back when I was shopping for my '04 Pilot (which had a nicer interior than the 2nd generation, which was just awful).

Again, nice, but not compelling. YMMV, and Ward's too.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-24-19 at 05:42 PM.