Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 11:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2019 Mazda3

Concept looks, five Skyactiv engines, all-wheel drive highlight compact package

Mazda didn't lie — the 2019 Mazda3 is a gently reworked production version of the Kai concept shown at last year's Tokyo Auto Show. In hatchback and sedan forms, you'll still quickly peg this a Mazda3. The dimensions barely change: The wheelbase grows by an inch, but the hatchback width and length carry over, while height decreases by an inch; the sedan is the same width but 3.2 inches longer and 0.7 inches lower. Nevertheless, the look and details have evolved throughout, yielding a much more potent and piercing hatchback, and a more sophisticated, accomplished sedan.

Instead of using hard shoulder and swage lines to "draw" contour onto a flat profile, Mazda designed a car with contours that create real shoulders and hips. Shedding the illusion of surface depth for reality redefines the look and presence of the Mazda3. The new model erases the hash of lines and embossed panels in back of the current car so that the S-curved hatch has only its shutline for framing. After that, the highlights enhance the theme. On either side of the larger grille, single-lens headlamps get new accents; instead of a just plain silver bar, streaks of amber turn signals decorate the more dimensional units. The contoured taillamp housing holds highly structured, highly embellished twin circles that probably look even more sinister at night. On the sedan, those naughty taillights are surrounded by a refined rear valance with a more angled, muscular lip along the trailing edge.

It's the same inside, a design based on results of Mazda's in-depth studies of human mechanics. The flatter instrument panel stresses clean lines along the horizontal. Trimmer steering wheel spokes with silver buttons line up with the central span across the dash housing the climate control buttons and vents. The new shift panel sits higher and more forward, making it easier for the driver to move a hand from the steering wheel to the lever. To raise perceived luxury, the center tunnel trim is a clear layer laid over a laser-engraved black layer, said to produce a "look of deep transparency," and similar to the effect found on the new BMW X5 and X7. The cupholders are now in front of the shifters, and the armrest is longer. There's no mention of that digital gauge cluster that leaked earlier this year, though.

Buyers who opt for fabric will get a new "Greige" hue, a mix of gray and beige. Mazda designed a new leather grain with creases of varying depths and shapes depending on where it's placed. The hatchback offers an exclusive burgundy leather interior, and a Polymetal Gray exterior paint.

The old 7-inch touchscreen atop the IP becomes an 8.8-inch unit with a new menu system for better control. Speakers were moved to produce better sound from the standard eight-speaker and optional 12-speaker Bose audio systems. Speaking of sound, a new two-wall body structure in the floor of the car and fewer holes in the carpeting, plus better sound absorbtion from the headliner and floor mats, calm ambient intrusions.

Other upgrades include seats contoured to hold the body's "S" shape, and tilting seat cushions as standard equipment. Knee airbags come standard, and optional driver assistance features include front cross traffic alert and adaptive cruise control that works in stop-and-go traffic. The driver-side windshield wiper arcs all the way to the thinner A-pillar, and the washer nozzles reside on the wiper arms. An optional driver monitoring feature uses two infrared systems to keep drowsy driving from becoming vehicular homicide. For all who don't like wrenching on their own cars, not only will Mazda Connect provide a digital owner's manual, but warning lights will indicate the priority level of any fault and link directly to the relevant section in the digital owner's manual.

Mazda will offer 1.5-, 2.0-, and 2.5-liter Skyactiv-G gas engines, and the 1.8-liter Skyactiv-D, all with tweaks to improve performance and fuel economy, but it's not clear if the U.S. will get all of them. The fifth option will be the new Skyactiv-X four-cylinder. Yes, a manual transmission stays in the mix. A stiffer body with 10 times more ultra-high-strength steel, and revised suspension improve ride and NVH. The MacPherson strut carries over in front, but some will be disappointed to find that Mazda's eliminated the current rear multilink setup for a torsion beam. Updated tires, the same size as the 16- and 18-inch options currently, provide better damping.

The Japanese carmaker listened to the market, and i-Activ AWD joins the options list, but Mazda didn't say which engines would pair with AWD. The AWD system has been improved with "'four-wheel vertical load' detection," although we're not yet sure how that affects proceedings, and updated brake-based torque vectoring.

Mazda says the 2019 Mazda3 marks the first step in the march toward Mazda Premium.
Source
Old 11-28-18, 11:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I like the sedan but do not like the styling of the hatch, which I always liked in the past.

The swap of the multilink independent rear suspension for a torsion beam is disappointing, but I suppose I should wait for actual driving impressions.
Old 11-28-18, 11:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Love the addition of AWD, and the 'upscale' ness
Old 11-28-18, 12:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I like the sedan but do not like the styling of the hatch, which I always liked in the past.
The rear of this new, 4th-generation sedan looks like a refinement of the old, 1st-generation sedan.

Courtesy of NetCarShow.com

Originally Posted by JDR76
The swap of the multilink independent rear suspension for a torsion beam is disappointing, but I suppose I should wait for actual driving impressions.
And as the new 12th-generation North American Corolla swapped its torsion beam rear suspension for a multilink independent rear suspension.
Old 11-28-18, 01:07 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know how much the new Mazda3 will retain its zoom-zoom since it's switching to a torsion beam suspension in the rear.
Old 11-28-18, 01:16 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Last edited by bagwell; 11-28-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 01:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
I don't know how much the new Mazda3 will retain its zoom-zoom since it's switching to a torsion beam suspension in the rear.
I cant imagine how they managed to make it look soo good and sporty, improve the interior... and then put torsion beam suspension in.
Old 11-28-18, 09:18 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
I cant imagine how they managed to make it look soo good and sporty, improve the interior... and then put torsion beam suspension in.
Cost cutting? I guess the average consumer wouldn't notice the difference between a fully independent suspension and a torsion beam suspension.
Old 11-29-18, 10:02 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

reminds Tesla model 3 from a side
Old 11-29-18, 04:10 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Cost cutting? I guess the average consumer wouldn't notice the difference between a fully independent suspension and a torsion beam suspension.
It was a shortcut for road noise improvement, it's less expensive that way. I wouldn't be worried about the zoom zoom cause everyone who drove the prototype said it drove better than the current generation. I'm more disappointed about Skyactive X not actually debuting with new 3 as they promised. Well technically it is but that's such a sleazy, skewed truth something you would not except from a serious business. Or maybe you do in automotive industry.l

That C pillar sheet metal is crazy. That's super expensive.

Last edited by Vladi; 11-29-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
It was a shortcut for road noise improvement, it's less expensive that way. I wouldn't be worried about the zoom zoom cause everyone who drove the prototype said it drove better than the current generation.
I've long maintained that, under most normal driving conditions, there is little difference in performance between full-IRS and a torsion-beam axle, especially on the rear suspension. Several posters here tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

The Zoom-Zoom slogan is little more than marketing nonsense. True, Mazdas, in general, do have more of a driver-connected feel in the power-steering systems, and, to some extent, imitate older BMWs in that regard. And, they produce what is arguably the only true low-cost traditional roadster (Miata /124 Spyder) left in the American market. But, power-wise, and under the hood, there is little difference between Mazda drivetrains and most of the competition.....except, of course, for the now-discontinued RX-8 rotary-engines, which were super-smooth but seriously lacked low-RPM torque.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 03:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm sorry, but I'd have to rank that new hatchback one of the ugliest bodies to emerge in a long time. It looks like a 1982 Flying Turd SE.
Old 11-30-18, 03:18 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sedan is a stunner, and they both have some serious dash-to-axle ratio.

Hatch reminds me of the old Lancer Sportback...

I wish the Hyundai i30 Fastback would be brought to the States.

Old 11-30-18, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm sorry, but I'd have to rank that new hatchback one of the ugliest bodies to emerge in a long time. It looks like a 1982 Flying Turd SE.

I won't go as far in panning it as Fizzboy, but I do agree that the C-pillar design in the rear is awful.
Old 12-01-18, 06:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've long maintained that, under most normal driving conditions, there is little difference in performance between full-IRS and a torsion-beam axle, especially on the rear suspension. Several posters here tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.
An IRS will always be superior to a beam axle. The new Corollas are going IRS while the Mazda 3 and VW Jetta are reverting back to torsion beam.

Quick Reply: 2019 Mazda3