Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive: 2018 Kia Cadenza (and vs. Lacrosse)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Test-Drive: 2018 Kia Cadenza (and vs. Lacrosse)

(2018) https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/cadenza/2018

(2019) https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/cadenza/2019

This is not a formal review, and was done solely for my own curiosity, so I don't expect to get many responses in this thread, but thought I'd share my experience today for anyone interested.

With GM's announcement a couple of days that the Hamtramck plant that produces the LaCrosse and several other GM sedans would be shut down in a few months, I knew that I would be done with GM for my next vehicle. They also did the same thing to me a couple of years ago by dropping the Buick Verano from the American market, therefore denying me the opportunity to replace my old one with the new 2Gen version, which would be confined to the Chinese market. So, even though I won't be officially in the market again for some time (my present car is less than two years old, and doesn't have a lot of miles on it), it's time to start looking and checking things out well in advance. For the money, in my book, at least, nothing in its class beats the 18" wheel Lacrosse, with standard suspension, for ride comfort, seating comfort, looks, and overall refinement (though the 9-speed transmission is not always seamless). The Lacrosse is also reasonably-priced in lower versions, and, for my tastes, has a nice engine choice..a non-turbo V6 as an option. But, if no more new Lacrosses will be available stateside, it will be time for me, in the future, to head to other pastures.

I like the Lincoln MKZ (essentially a redone Ford Fusion), and its Jaguar-ish front end, in particular, is beautiful (more so than the bulky rear end of the car). Its interior is reasonably nice for the class. Like the Lacrosse, it has cushy seats, rides reasonably well in the COMFORT drive-mode (but not quite as smooth as the Lacrosse, because of its tires), comes in some nice colors, and can be special-ordered. But it costs more comparably equipped, is rather loosely-built (the Lacrosse's own build quality and materials is not that impressive, either), has had issues with the optional AWD system, is not as large or roomy as the Lacrosse, and has an all-or-nothing choice of engines (a small 2.0L turbo four or Boy-Racer 400 HP twin-turbo V6). I like to avoid turbo engines where possible, and I like the refinement of a V6. But the MKZ may (?) also shortly be on the chopping-block, if Lincoln follows the rest of the Ford and GM insanity by axing most of their sedans. I haven't been terribly impressed, for a number of reasons (I won't go into them all here) with newer Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES350 models, especially compared to the Lacrosse. The Hyundai Azera (which was OK, but not my favorite) has also been discontinued in the U.S. And the 2019 Genesis G80 AWD models (which, in some ways, excluding ride-comfort, are the most impressive sedans in that class) have not arrived yet.....still waiting for them.

So, once again, I decided to check out one of the few remaining possibilities,....the latest Kia Cadenza. Right now, it's in surprisingly short supply in my area....two of the four Kia dealerships had no Cadenzas in stock at all, the other two had one Cadenza each. I looked at a gray 2018 base-model version (one of a choice of only four body-colors on the spec-sheet), which had a base price of only 32K, and, at 33K list (before discounts), seemed quite a bargain. Of course, for that price, you give up some equipment inside, like an electronic parking brake...it had a step-on pedal. The Tech Package, of course, includes some of that added equipment...my car didn't have it. No 2019 Cadenzas are available yet...like the new 2019 Genesis models, their shipment to dealers, for some reason, has been held up, but the reps say it will be virtually the exact same car, with no changes.

It was interesting talking with the "salesman" today.....a very young kid (seemed like late teens or early 20s) who had worked in dealerships doing odd jobs since he was 15 years old, and was just getting into the sales business. I helped him out by giving him some pointers (such as checking to make sure that the PDI guys do their jobs right, how to monitor tire pressure (he was unaware that pressures increased and contracted with heat and cold), and some lessons on which vehicles come from what platforms (you'd be surprised how many salespeople don't know that). He, in turn, helped me out with the car's video/infotainment screen (those young kids have really sharp minds for video-stuff like that, and those systems can be a PITA, on a new and unfamiliar vehicle, for older people like me). He also took the time to show me a new $68K K900 (the only one on the lot) and, good golly, was that car nice inside (as nice as its Genesis companions), though the seats were a little firm for my tastes. Like with the old Hyundai Equus, only certain Kia dealerships are authorized to handle the K900. He said that six potential customers were interested in that car, and that they would be coming up later in the day (I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not)...so I didn't bother to take it out on a test-drive, just in the (unlikely) prospect that an accident would happen and it would mess up the car for those potential customers.

Anyhow, back to the Cadenza. My experience, with it, was pretty much in line with what Alex Dykes found in his review (hard to beat Alex.....that guy knows what he is talking about). Its size was large by the standards of today's sedans, but, overall, a couple of inches shorter than my Lacrosse. Trunk space seemed smaller than the Lacrosse, the trunk opening was smaller, and, also, unlike the Lacrosse, the rear seats don't fold down, though a pass-through provides space for long narrow items. I didn't care much for the "Tiger Grille" front-end styling, and its interior, though not stark by any means, didn't have as much woodtone trim as the Lacrosse. Its interior looked like that of an econobox next to the beautiful K900, though, of course, the K900 lists for essentially twice the price. And the choice of only four body colors (though none with an extra charge) was ridiculous....the Koreans seem to think that all of their luxury cars can only be done in black, gray, or white, and, occasionally, one or two other colors. Like I said, the one I had was medium gray outside with black leather inside. It didn't ride quite as smoothly as my Lacrosse, primarily because of the tires, and the steering response seemed just a hair slower, despite the lower-profile tires. The Cadenza's steering effort also was higher than the Lacrosse's, and you had to put some effort into the wheel on very low-speed maneuvers in the parking lot....you can flick the Lacrosse around with one finger on the wheel....it is effortless.

But the Cadenza also had a lot going for it, compared to the Lacrosse. First of all, it was screwed together more solidly inside and out, and the body sheet metal and doors are much more solid, though the Lacrosse's front doors have a more precise, smooth feel to their linkage and seals when you use the latch and pull. Inside materials were noticeably better on the Cadenza, though they actually looked more plush on the surface in the Lacrosse....the American-designed (non-Opel-based) Buicks have a tendency to do that, to use cheap thin materials designed to look more expensive than they are. The Cadenza's seats were the best and softest (to my tastes) I've seen on a Kia product....and about the only Kia seats I could sit on comfortably. Most Kia seats are simply too firm-cushioned for my tastes....even the much more expensive K900 has relatively firm seats. The Cadenza also had a steering wheel that was much better-looking than the plain, cheap one on the Lacrosse. The Cadenza's shifter didn't have the Lacrosse's that E-shift nonsense.....just a simple, traditional fore/aft PRNDL lever. Its 8-speed transmission seemed to have fewer quirks than the Lacrosse's 9-speed. The Kia V6 actualiy ran quieter on the road than the Lacrosse's V6, which had some DI (direct-injection) noise, though the Lacrosse's was quieter at idle. Both cars had more than ample power for all normal driving. The Cadenza was generally quiet, but, in its class, Buick wrote the book on taming road and wind noise. Both cars had firm, right-now brake pedals, effective response, and no problems with my big size-15 clown-shoes.

So, all in all, yes, if I have to, I can live with the Cadenza, particularly the higher-line models. I can also live with the MKZ, if Ford keeps it in production (which is iffy). I haven't seen the 2019 Genesis G80 yet, but I suspect I won't have any major beefs with it, either. But, GM has screwed me twice now, in just three years, with their market-cancellations, and unless they come out with what I consider an adequate replacement for the Lacrosse in the American market (and I'm not holding my breath), I'm done with that corporation in the future. And to GM's upper management...Yes, a big hearty Thank-You for shutting down the Hamtramck plant......you all sure won't be getting a Christmas card from me this year.

........This time, Not-so-Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-18 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 05:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would take the Lacrosse over the KIA. I would not even consider the KIA. Just not my brand. Buick I don’t mind. Long term reliability might be of a concern for Buick, but my test drive of the Lacrosse was really nice.
Old 11-29-18, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would take the Lacrosse over the KIA.

As you would no doubt guess, so would I. But, don't sell the Cadenza short, and I mean that. It's a nice car, if not quite as silky on the road as the Lacrosse. And it doesn't have that 10/100 and 5/60 warranty for nothing. It costs a lot to fix today's cars....GM had to eat nearly $1500 on that recent climate-control repair I had on my Lacrosse, and we'll see if that relatively new 9-speed transmission they are using now will hold up.

I would not even consider the KIA. Just not my brand. Buick I don’t mind. Long term reliability might be of a concern for Buick, but my test drive of the Lacrosse was really nice.

How would you choose between the MKZ and Cadenza? The MKZ is a stunner in the looks department, and drives pretty nicely, but has reliability issues, some questionable materials, and seems to be loosely screwed-together. Its trunk-opening button under the lid, about the size of a quarter, is a joke....and is displaced far to the right.

And have you seen the latest K900? (I saw it today). The material-quality and decor on the latest one will make the last version look like an econobox in comparison. But, of course, it's not chump-change.....60-70K is still a good chunk of cash, more than I'd care to spend.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 10:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would not even consider the KIA. Just not my brand.
you've made that abundantly clear over and over, but still not sure why.

Old 11-30-18, 02:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Nice write-up! To be honest, somewhat predictable - from what I have seen, Kia does well-built, but understated interiors - the new Stinger comes to mind as well. Maybe that's some of the Audi influence?

There's a small part of me that misses my old Buick, and that fact makes me wonder if I would like the Cadenza. I certainly enjoyed the G80 that you mentioned above.
Old 11-30-18, 03:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A fair review.
I'm not quite sure I follow why you would abandon the whole brand based on them discontinuing your current car. GM is still a company and still builds a lot of other models.
Only three colors available on the base Kia model. Very stingy and a turn-off to anyone who many want the affordable (bargain) model.
Old 11-30-18, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Nice write-up!
Thanks. I just wish it were done under brighter conditions.

To be honest, somewhat predictable - from what I have seen, Kia does well-built, but understated interiors - the new Stinger comes to mind as well. Maybe that's some of the Audi influence?
Yes...it is Audi-ish for a reason. Kia hired Audi's old Design Chief.

There's a small part of me that misses my old Buick, and that fact makes me wonder if I would like the Cadenza. I certainly enjoyed the G80 that you mentioned above.
The G80 is like a jewel inside.....so is the new Kia K900. I'd definitely recommend looking at the K900 if you get a chance....but you may have to travel a bit to see one. Only certain Kia shops (with the right facilities) are allowed to sell and service them.

You might (?) like the Cadenza....go check one out. It's like the Lacrosse in some ways, and, IMO, is actually better-built. But the 18" wheel Lacrosse, for the money, is the Master of Refinement...Buick knows how to get a Magic-Carpet ride, but that silkiness, among today's Buicks, is found only in the Lacrosse and Enclave, both American-designed. The other "Buicks" are, in fact, better-built but firmer-riding rebadged German Opels....the small Cascada convertible, with its 20" wheels, is probably the stiffest, with the sport-oriented Regal GS right behind it.

That's what saddens me the most about the Lacrosse's departure .......for the money, there is simply no other sedan like it, even from GM, although the Chevy Impala, Lincoln's MKZ, and the Cadenza come close. Cadillac? Forget it. Their sedans, IMO, are too expensive, too poorly-made, and too stiff-riding. The Chevy Impala is a nice alternative (MUCH better than the previous generation)...but it will die the same death, in the same plant, as the Lacrosse. ....unless Trump and Trudeau can talk some sense into Mary Bbarra.
Old 11-30-18, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A fair review.
Thanks...but it was not really an extensive review. I stated that in the opening sentence.

I'm not quite sure I follow why you would abandon the whole brand based on them discontinuing your current car. GM is still a company and still builds a lot of other models.
The Lacrosse and Impala are the only GM sedans left with the kind of ride and refinement I like....and both of their souls are going to Automotive Heaven when the plant shuts down. Cadillac?...Nope, for reasons I replied to arentz07, above. And.......most of their sedans are also going to die.

Jill mentions the possibility of Chinese-produced Lacrosses coming back, but I'm holding my breath. Lincoln will maybe (?) get my business if they hold onto the MKZ or Continental. Or, I just might hold onto my current Lacrosse until it falls apart...or trade for one of the last ones with 18" wheels off the line before it shuts down.

Only three colors available on the base Kia model. Very stingy and a turn-off to anyone who many want the affordable (bargain) model.
Agreed, that is one of the major weakness among virtually all of Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis's upmarket luxury sedans....the product-designers have apparently never heard of paint-pigments.
Old 12-02-18, 06:15 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

MM, it's true and unfortunate that you "got screwed again, now with the Lacrosse and prior to that was the Verano, but perhaps you just keep the Lacrosse many years longer considering the outlook of large premium comfy sedans are heading for extinction? GM replacement parts bin isn't going away for many years to come and Buick is reliable...
Old 12-02-18, 10:04 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
MM, it's true and unfortunate that you "got screwed again, now with the Lacrosse and prior to that was the Verano, but perhaps you just keep the Lacrosse many years longer considering the outlook of large premium comfy sedans are heading for extinction? GM replacement parts bin isn't going away for many years to come and Buick is reliable...
I was thinking the same thing. You don't have to get something else. Just keep what you have if you like it. It's only a year old and it's not like you are putting 20k miles on it per year. ; )
Old 12-02-18, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I was thinking the same thing. You don't have to get something else. Just keep what you have if you like it. It's only a year old and it's not like you are putting 20k miles on it per year. ; )

Thanks, Guys. Yes, I know that is an option. I normally get a new car about every five years or so....but, yes, I may be forced into either keeping my present car a long time or simply getting into the used car market.

Actually, this is the third time that GM had screwed me by dropping models. I also loved my Saturn S-class, but after I had owned mine (brand-new) only a couple of years, they cancelled the whole S-series and brought in the ridiculous Ion. It was the beginning of a steady decline at Saturn that ended in bankruptcy. Time will tell what happens to GM after this latest announcement....they have angered a lot of people this time, especially the politicians that have power to go after them.

Oh......and BTW, unlike with some other posters in similar threads, I'd like to commend both of you (and to you, arentz07) for your politeness and civility. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-18 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 03:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

While looking at the Sales Thread I noticed that Cadenza sales are getting pretty weak. In November only 151 were sold and that is down from 889 last November. For the year they were selling a little less than 400 per month vs. 578 last year. It sounds like you've cooled off towards the Cadenza but the long term outlook might be something to keep in mind if you are looking at 18-24 months down the road.
Old 12-05-18, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
While looking at the Sales Thread I noticed that Cadenza sales are getting pretty weak. In November only 151 were sold and that is down from 889 last November. For the year they were selling a little less than 400 per month vs. 578 last year. It sounds like you've cooled off towards the Cadenza but the long term outlook might be something to keep in mind if you are looking at 18-24 months down the road.

Yes, I know Cadenzas aren't selling...but, so far, Kia shows no sign of dropping them in the American market. If they're dropped, however, they're dropped.