Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Declining sales of anything without 'utility' in its description

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 05:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
What's most bothersome to me regarding sedan cuts are the ones being cut that sell quite well. Particularly the Fusion and Focus have consistently sold very well but Ford put them on the chopping block because of limited profit margins. Yes, the business is primarily profit motivated but you also can't just give up major segments of the industry because profits aren't as high as your trucks and SUV's. The Fusion sold way more than the Mazda 6 for example yet Mazda has no plans to kill the 6. Car companies can't be driven purely on profit but about flexibility when the market shifts, not giving competition total dominance in segments, total brand appeal, and many other factors. Dropping strong sellers is just plain stupid.
I hear what you are saying. However, the cancellation of the new Fusion and Focus has a lot to do with not developing a new platform going forward and not just the assembly line costs. Truthfully, the Ford and GM sedans do not sell at the same prices as Camrys and Accords nor do the sell at the same volumes. Basically this is the past GM and Ford blunders catching up with them in current times.
Old 01-19-19, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What's most bothersome to me regarding sedan cuts are the ones being cut that sell quite well. Particularly the Fusion and Focus have consistently sold very well but Ford put them on the chopping block because of limited profit margins. Yes, the business is primarily profit motivated but you also can't just give up major segments of the industry because profits aren't as high as your trucks and SUV's. The Fusion sold way more than the Mazda 6 for example yet Mazda has no plans to kill the 6. Car companies can't be driven purely on profit but about flexibility when the market shifts, not giving competition total dominance in segments, total brand appeal, and many other factors. Dropping strong sellers is just plain stupid.
Probably the best post in this thread so far. Couldn't agree more.
Old 01-19-19, 05:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sure you can. Companies abandon things that seem like they are successful because they don't meet their margin needs all the time. Companies close producing profitable stores because they aren't profitable enough and they want to allocate resources elsewhere, etc.
Totally get that. I'm a pure capitalist but some decisions still seem odd. I understand most of the sedans announced for the chopping block but I come back to Fusion and Focus as nonsensical. Ford will continue the Mustang the only car that will be left. That sold 100K units last year. Fusion's worst year by far was 2018 and it moved 175K. It was selling 300+K when it was fresh. Of course the sales are going to slide when a car is 6 years old. The Mustang surviving supports my point. It's not just about profit or units moved but about intangibles. Ford is (now was) a full line automaker. Think about it. Ford will no longer be a full line automaker. Now they'll be like a Kia. Except just trucks/SUV's. I think
Old 01-19-19, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ford will continue the Mustang the only car that will be left. That sold 100K units last year. Fusion's worst year by far was 2018 and it moved 175K.
Yep...an excellent point. And that doesn't count Lincoln MKZ sales, which are made in the same plant.

Think about it. Ford will no longer be a full line automaker. Now they'll be like a Kia. Except just trucks/SUV's. I think
Got to disagree with you a little on this one, though. Kia IS a full-line automaker....from Rios to K900s to Stingers to (now) large Telluride SUVs. The only thing they lack, in the American market, is a pickup.....which is probably best left to Toyota and the domestics, anyway.
Old 01-19-19, 06:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Totally get that. I'm a pure capitalist but some decisions still seem odd. I understand most of the sedans announced for the chopping block but I come back to Fusion and Focus as nonsensical. Ford will continue the Mustang the only car that will be left. That sold 100K units last year. Fusion's worst year by far was 2018 and it moved 175K. It was selling 300+K when it was fresh. Of course the sales are going to slide when a car is 6 years old. The Mustang surviving supports my point. It's not just about profit or units moved but about intangibles. Ford is (now was) a full line automaker. Think about it. Ford will no longer be a full line automaker. Now they'll be like a Kia. Except just trucks/SUV's. I think
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ocus-canceled/
Old 01-19-19, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Did you see the results of the poll in that article?

73% of those responding said that Ford was making a mistake...only 27% felt it was a sensible decision. And, in general, the readers of Popular Mechanics are more representative of the vehicle-buying public, as a whole, than those who read more hard-core enthusiast magazines like Car & Driver or Road & Track.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 06:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you see the results of the poll in that article? 73% of those responding said that Ford was making a mistake...only 27% felt it was a sensible decision.
Didn't see the poll results, thanks for mentioning it. Just saw the poll question. And the article.
Old 01-19-19, 07:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Got to disagree with you a little on this one, though. Kia IS a full-line automaker....from Rios to K900s to Stingers to (now) large Telluride SUVs. The only thing they lack, in the American market, is a pickup.....which is probably best left to Toyota and the domestics, anyway.
No pickups is what I mean. You have to build pickups to be a "full line" automaker along with all the other basic segments. Basically only GM, Ford, Fiat/Chrysler, Toyota, & Nissan are true full line automakers. Honda's Ridgeline isn't a real body on frame pickup so I can't even consider them full line.
​​​
Old 01-20-19, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Didn't see the poll results, thanks for mentioning it. Just saw the poll question. And the article.
You’ll see results by answering the poll. Thanks for posting the article link, it’s exactly right imo.
Old 01-20-19, 07:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I’ve no doubt hyundai and/or kia will have a pickup at some point.
Old 01-20-19, 07:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I’ve no doubt hyundai and/or kia will have a pickup at some point.
A Ridgeline style truck yes. A traditional body/frame truck will not happen

Old 01-20-19, 08:29 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

A Ridgeline style truck yes. A traditional body/frame truck will not happen

Yeah, I don't see it. It's a massive investment to develop a full size body on frame platform. Hyundai /Kia would understand their attempt wouldn't sell. Even Nissan has a hard enough time moving Titans. But yes, we're likely to see the long roomered unibody style compact pick-up from Hyundai soon.
Old 01-20-19, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Yes, if one is used to full-size cars, then one is not likely to be satisfied with the comfort level of a small car (though in some ways the Buick Verano was one of the few exceptions, and would have been even more comfortable with softer tires). During the first gas crisis, though, in the early-mid-70s, I downsized from a big Buick and Chrysler to a compact slant-six Plymouth without complaining....and drove small cars for years after that. Small cars also are, of course, much easier to park and maneuver at close-quarters than full-sizers......which can be important when you have you get in and out of the undersized, inadequate parking lots in some of today's businesses. But, to be honest, I simply drove them for too many years....I've become addicted to size and comfort once again.
Will you stop insinuating that I'm out of touch because I drive a very well made, comfortable full sized car...because that's just BS and you know it.

I drive a LOT of cars, and there are several compact cars that I think are very good cars...Civic, Mazda 3 are big ones. Even the Cruze within the GM family. My brother in law also has a Honda Fit I've driven several times and its a much nicer car than the Spark.

I think the Spark is a terrible car because It struck me as a terrible car, not because I was comparing it to much better cars. The only reason to buy a Spark is because its cheap
Old 01-20-19, 08:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I consider it (arguably) the best-driving small, entry-level subcompact sedan/hatchback in the American market mostly because its high points (noise isolation and ride comfort) are things that vehicles in this segment usually lack.
Just curious, it is one of your favorite mags. What is the CR score for the new Chevrolet Spark?
Old 01-20-19, 09:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I drive a LOT of cars, and there are several compact cars that I think are very good cars...Civic, Mazda 3 are big ones. Even the Cruze within the GM family.
A Spark is a sub-compact.

I think the Spark is a terrible car because It struck me as a terrible car, not because I was comparing it to much better cars. The only reason to buy a Spark is because its cheap
Interesting that Car & Drivers gives the Spark its Editor's Choice.

Quick Reply: Declining sales of anything without 'utility' in its description