Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Declining sales of anything without 'utility' in its description

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
He will probably lay low on the topic for the next little while.
Don't count on it. He's more ticked off at GM than I am....if that's possible LOL.
Old 12-01-18, 05:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't count on it. He's more ticked off at GM than I am....if that's possible LOL.
I disagree. Donald Trump is failing, GM leaving is evidence of what a lot of people warned about. There are huge white collar layoffs coming in January from GM.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-01-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 06:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a number of examples, but, recently, Obama probably did the most, by actually placing the Federal Government into a role on GM's board and ordering them to get new management. It was part of the condition of the buyout. But it was Johnson and Nixon, after Ralph Nader's lobbying in the 1960s, that got the Government involved in the first place, with the first Federal safety, emission, and CAFE demands.
(1) Protecting the safety of American drivers from greedy corporate profit takers, and (2) saving car companies from certain financial ruin, is "punishing" the auto industry?
Old 12-01-18, 06:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I don’t see the point. Shaming would look really stupid on his part. He promised rust belt jobs and the plant where he said those promises are closing. He will probably lay low on the topic for the next little while.
We can certainly have a robust political debate here if we wanted, but "looking stupid" has not been something the American President has taken into account over the last 2 years before deciding what action to take or not take. Nor has "laying low".
Old 12-01-18, 06:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
We can certainly have a robust political debate here if we wanted, but "looking stupid" has not been something the American President has taken into account over the last 2 years before deciding what action to take or not take. Nor has "laying low".
Having a political debate within the context of the subject and thread, there is nothing wrong it. I am not talking about the last two years, just talking about the now. My best bet and my opinion is, Trump will lay low on this GM plant closure subject.
Old 12-01-18, 06:50 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Having a political debate within the context of the subject and thread, there is nothing wrong it. I am not talking about the last two years, just talking about the now. My best bet and my opinion is, Trump will lay low on this GM plant closure subject.
I guess the better way to phrase it would be: What are you basing this on? It hasn't been his style to back down or lay low, regardless of how right or wrong he may be on any given point. What makes this situation different?
Old 12-01-18, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

(1) Protecting the safety of American drivers from greedy corporate profit takers, and (2) saving car companies from certain financial ruin, is "punishing" the auto industry?

Not sure I understand the question.....appears to be apples and oranges. I was not referring to that at all. I wouldn't call the advent of safety-legislation, back in the 1960s (in response to Nader's lobbying) a "punishment" per see, but simple common-sense requirements that the industry should have been doing on their own. Later, though, I thought some of those requirements went too far, and Washington started dictating too much of the design.
Old 12-01-18, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I guess the better way to phrase it would be: What are you basing this on? It hasn't been his style to back down or lay low, regardless of how right or wrong he may be on any given point. What makes this situation different?
Thanks for asking opinion. I appreciate it. IMO, the realization of tariffs saving And returning all these rust belt glory jobs is not going to materialize. The plant that he stood in and said, "don't sell your homes and jobs are going to be pouring in",the tax cut which GM said they saved $150 million (which was not used to help workers), the fact that GM said the steel tariffs cost them close to a billion dollars, a brand new Nafta reworking agreement, and the upcoming looming threat of GM 2019 white collar layoffs will just keep him away from any comments or battles. All of this happening in the heartland of his industrial base. Without getting in trouble with the moderators about getting political, his policies will in fact accelerate future layoffs as the threat of a recession coming and a slowing US economy will make these large corporations cut. In the past, tax cuts have always led to layoffs.

When it's all said and done, these job cuts will be closer to 50K once the plants close as there is a big domino effect on suppliers and businesses in the three regions. Housing prices will fall. Ohio BTW has predicted 17 of the last 18 elections. Plants closing in this region is the last thing President Trump needs so calling out any attention to the matter is not a good idea when he the state barely went Republican.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-01-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 07:05 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for asking opinion. I appreciate it. IMO, the realization of tariffs saving jobs is not going to materialize. The plant that he stood in and said, "don't sell your homes and jobs are going to be pouring in",the tax cut which GM said they saved $150 million (which was not used to help workers), the fact that GM said the steel tariffs cost them close to a billion dollars and the upcoming looming threat of GM 2019 white collar layoffs will just keep him away from any comments or battles. All of this happening in the heartland of his industrial base. Will add more.
He can't lay low it's not how he operates. I expect a continued smear campaign by him via twitter of GM CEO and the board along with him blaming his political opponents and the media somehow. The base will believe this and it will be on to the next story. Unfortunately some of them will lose their jobs.
Old 12-01-18, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
He can't lay low it's not how he operates. I expect a continued smear campaign by him via twitter of GM CEO and the board along with him blaming his political opponents and the media somehow. The base will believe this and it will be on to the next story. Unfortunately some of them will lose their jobs.
We shall see. The US and China just called a truce on tariffs No new tariffs in 2019
Old 12-01-18, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We shall see. The US and China just called a truce on tariffs No new tariffs in 2019
Perhaps that's because, thanks to Trump, we now have something at least approaching a level playing field. No need to fight on.
Old 12-01-18, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I wouldn't call it a smear campaign. There is actually some truth to it. If the shoe fits...................
Old 12-01-18, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps that's because, thanks to Trump, we now have something at least approaching a level playing field. No need to fight on.
Not sure about a level playing field. The trade deficit between China and US has widened, I believe he said he promised to shrink it. Anyways, we are off topic now. CT6 and Lacrosse will continue to be built in China, so perhaps GM will export them, that would be a shame when they were once built in America.
Old 12-01-18, 07:40 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Well, I wouldn't call it a smear campaign. There is actually some truth to it. If the shoe fits...................
Put yourself in the CEO's and Board's shoes what would you have done? Keep in mind come of your product lines aren't profitable because of consumers and overhead costs went up slightly because of steel among other factors.
Old 12-01-18, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Put yourself in the CEO's and Board's shoes what would you have done? Keep in mind come of your product lines aren't profitable because of consumers and overhead costs went up slightly because of steel among other factors.
No offense, but if I told you what I would do (or have done) you will just find a way to belittle or argue with it. But I will say this: I would have done almost anything else before laying off 15% of the work force and alienating those customers who still want the vehicles produced in those plants, even if they are not SUVs. GMs management not only tossed out the bathwater, but the baby with it.

Not only that, but Trump is an experienced businessman.....one of the most experienced on the planet. He knows sound (and unsound) business practices when he sees them. He's not going to tweet nonsense.

Quick Reply: Declining sales of anything without 'utility' in its description