Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD Unveiled....unfortunately

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18 | 06:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It wasn't considered derogatory back in the late 80s and early 90s, when the culture around here was at its peak. If it is considered derogatory now (which, if so, I'm not aware of), sorry, I'll stand corrected.
It absolutely was back then too, you just never understood the joke. The book pictured was satire making fun of "yuppies"...not an actual manual for how to be a yuppie "Yuppies" are a group that people made fun of for being fake, whiny, arrogant, self important but without having any reason to be. Worried about how they look vs the substance of what they're buying or what they're doing. Holding beliefs because they are "trendy" vs actually believing in those ideas themselves. The closest analogy today would be calling somebody a "millennial", which is a characterization that would define somebody as being lazy, entitled, whiny, etc.

It was derogatory then, and its derogatory now.

Definitions:

Urban Dictionary:

Yuppie
Stands for Young Urban Professional. Yuppies are usually the children of doctors and lawyers, hold Master's degrees from Ivy League universities, and are very concerned with their appearance. Many were in fraternities and many live in expensive houses or apartments.

Yuppies can typically be seen in large metropolitan areas such as Portland or New York. Their wardrobe consists of grey, black or khakhi slacks, usually with grey, striped or pastel colored suit jackets and shirts. Yuppies typically take the idea of competing for social status extremely seriously. Their culture revolves around Starbucks coffee, expensive foreign restaurants and romantic comedies starring Julia Roberts or Tom Hanks. Yuppies generally only hold political views that are considered trendy.
Many yuppies go into fields such as politics, big business, public administration, medicine and law. You may have worked for one.
The most popular movie about yuppie culture is American Psycho.

Yuppies are what happens to hipsters and preps when they grow up.
Dictionary.com (note they even preface it as "derogatory":

yup·pie
/ˈyəpē/
noun
INFORMAL•DEROGATORY
  1. a young person with a well-paid job and a fashionable lifestyle.
Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuppie

Author and political commentator Victor Davis Hanson has written:

Yuppism, remember, is not definable entirely by income or class. Rather, it is a late-twentieth-century cultural phenomenon of self-absorbed young professionals, earning good pay, enjoying the cultural attractions of sophisticated urban life and thought, and generally out of touch with, indeed antithetical to, most of the challenges and concerns of a far less well-off and more parochial Middle America.[4]
The derogatory sense of the word is largely rooted in the perception of what it means to be young and professional, as being a professional usually takes years of development in addition to education, therefore the term connotes an artificial professional. Used in the vernacular of working young people, the term lends to those that dress professionally and have a college education paid for by their parents. They carry themselves with a pompous attitude that is a symptom of an entitlement mentality, which they developed from never actually earning anything. The entitlement mentality is a psychological disorder similar to narcissism. They are also the so-called "daddy-welfare" people.
I can't believe you went nearly 40 years without realizing this was a derogatory word LOL Thats hilarious.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-07-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-07-18 | 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It absolutely was back then too, you just never understood the joke.
OK, let's put the issue to rest. I told you I stand corrected, and meant nothing personal.
Old 01-23-19 | 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2020 GMC Sierra HD / 2020 Sierra HD AT4

Source
Old 01-23-19 | 11:27 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Well that's better.

Still the ugliest of the Big 3 though.
Old 02-08-19 | 11:07 AM
Hoovey689

Default GM says focus groups loved its Chevy HD styling

Here's how the Silverado HD design got the green light

We asked Hugh Milne, Silverado marketing manager, about what Chevrolet thinks of all the criticism leveled at it, and how the HD ended up this way in the first place.

"How much of that reaction is from people who actually buy these trucks? I read all that stuff, I hear about all that. All of our research that we ever did on this, we're talking to Heavy Duty buyers of all brands. This front end and this design over the top was one of our best-ranked designs," Milne told us.

So in short, focus groups is how we got here. Most car companies use focus groups to help make design decisions. The court of public opinion doesn't seem to agree with those focus groups for the time being on the many Silverado HD grilles, though.
Source
Old 02-08-19 | 11:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Well here's the reference manual, lol. It's a 1984 paperback edition of course, but then again the poster that replied to me might like that. Of course we know that the Ford F150 is the new yuppie-mobile is it not? You spend on King Ranch and duded up versions that cost more than any Bimmer, after all.

I was a wannabee only too late. I can still hear my dad yelling, "The only reason you're in this predicament is that you had to drive a Volvo." This was when I bought a sweet 264 GLE around 12 y.o., and wouldn't you know the head gaskets were blown. Hey my brother just got a Raptor and he doesn't even do any off roading!

p.s. I actually had a lot of adventures in that Volvo--got a used motor/tranny installed for $900, and drove it until I got my 1998 Maxima SE brand new. About 8 years.
Old 02-08-19 | 02:58 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Here's how the Silverado HD design got the green light

Source
If this was the highest rated design, I want to see the ones that got panned by their focus groups.
Old 02-08-19 | 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If this was the highest rated design, I want to see the ones that got panned by their focus groups.
Right now (if it's not too far off-topic) the Silverado's biggest problem is not necessarily the looks of the next-Gen version, but a significant issue in recent-year models, somewhere within the structure, known as the "Chevy Shake"...a vibration/drumming in the structure and body panels, at cruise-speeds, that has many owners up in arms. It has (apparently) resisted efforts by GM to address it with TSBs, and a class-action by owners may be in the works.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-08-19 | 03:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard about that one. I'd be livid if my truck did that.
Old 02-09-19 | 08:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

found a pic of the chevy HD in the wild

Old 02-09-19 | 09:05 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

😂😂😂 Now that’s some funny *****!!!!
Old 02-09-19 | 09:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

OMG. That is funny
Old 02-10-19 | 05:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

It looks WAY more attractive this way, with the chrome toned down a bit.
Old 02-10-19 | 06:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The front looks like a modern day version of the station wagon in the movie Vacation. Hideous!
This is the Wagon Queen Family Truckster. This is a damn fine automobile; beats the hell outta the sports wagon. But hey, I wanna make you happy.

(later) Ellen: Why is it still running?

The HD looks much better with the Bowtie grill I think.
Old 12-14-19 | 11:15 AM
LX5280
Driver

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I can't wait to see what Mahk has to say about it.
Took a while but he finally made one, doesn't point out the grill surprisingly.

Quick Reply: The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD Unveiled....unfortunately